BPL Community Profile

Ben Crocker (alexdrewreed) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Kentucky
About Me Ben Crocker has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crocker

Showing 121 - 130 of 975 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...98

Forum » Thread

Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado
Wow, beautiful trip.

In Post-Trip Reports » Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado
January 07, 9:36am

Windshirt
I really think you need a windshirt. A windshirt over your base T or your merino long sleeve shirt will be plenty most of the time while walking if you have a windshirt over them. The wind will c...

In Gear Lists » AT (March departure) layering system question
January 06, 3:29pm

Chasing breathability an exercise in futility?
I think a lot of us have been through a lot of the options for a reason: there is no great option. I backpack in the SE US more than anywhere else, so breathability is high on list of features for...

In GEAR » Chasing breathability an exercise in futility?
January 06, 10:59am

My picks
Mine are pretty simple. UL backpacking equipment: Enlightened Equipment Revolution 30. This has been a really nice piece of gear. Its simple and comfortable and light. The venting ability of ...

In GEAR » 2013 Reader Picks
December 31, 2:09pm

Need advice on a rain jacket that will fit my needs for an AT thru hike.
I would recommend the Stoic Vaporshell to you for several reasons. The fit is unusual in that it fits a tall skinny person with long arms well (I am about your size). Breathability is very good. ...

In GEAR » Need advice on a rain jacket that will fit my needs for an AT thru hike.
December 26, 8:58am

Lab Test - Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric
Thanks loads, Richard, for providing this information to the community. Its really helpful.

In GEAR » Lab Test - Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric
December 20, 12:20pm

30* quilt for April NoBo start on AT. Doable or just stupid?
I think you're fine. You could be a little cold if a cold snap came through, but I think you'll be fine. The average low on Clingman's Dome in April is 34 degrees. http://www.hikingi...

In GEAR » 30* quilt for April NoBo start on AT. Doable or just stupid?
December 19, 1:57pm

1 pound packs
Zpacks has a good lineup. There is the frameless Blast and Zero. People will debate how much you can carry comfortable in these frameless packs. For me, I start to notice weight at about 25 poun...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest ultraight BP w/o replenishing?
December 18, 2:04pm

8 x 10 tarp
Looks to me like your front line just came loose. It obviously has to be tight to get a good ridgeline. I almost always tie that line to a tree, root or other solid natural object. Then it can&#...

In GEAR » Best way to setup 8x10 tarp
December 18, 1:12pm

northbound AT gear list
I would use alcohol. Its easy to source on the AT. Esbit is not so easy to source. I will differ from Andy on the need for a compass, map, etc. The AWOL AT Guide is more than enough and much mo...

In Gear Lists » northbound AT gear list
December 17, 11:05am

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crocker

Ben Crocker has posted no reviews.