BPL Community Profile

Gary Dunckel (Zia-Grill-Guy) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Boulder
About Me Gary Dunckel has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gary Dunckel

Showing 121 - 130 of 1626 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...163

Forum » Thread

Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks
You're a good man, John. Thanks for doing this for us.

In GEAR » Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details
April 06, 10:51am

Glacier NP Mid August-Sept 1 Gear
I think you will be fine with what you have listed. There usually isn't a lot of rain in late August. I would forget a pack cover, and just be sure that all of your down things are securely sto...

In GEAR » Glacier NP Mid August-Sept 1 Gear
April 06, 9:54am

re: Re: Sealing the cozy
I liked the idea, so I'm now trying to seal some scrap Reflectix pieces. It works to seal the edges of one piece, but I can't seal two pieces together--probably it's too thick. So I thi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Torn Car Sun Shield becomes a Cozy
April 05, 2:35pm

re: Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?
Del, there was a thread on this awhile back (I'm too lazy to link back to it). The Idester suggested using a cheap aquarium pump and some tubing. I tried it, and it really works well.

In GEAR » Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?
April 03, 3:30pm

Re: trekking pole straps usage.....yes or no
A couple years ago I had my first real face-to-face encounter with a big grizzly on a GNP trail. It seemed to take several seconds to get my hands out of the straps of my beloved BPL Stix so I coul...

In Philosophy & Technique » How to use your trekking pole strap
April 03, 1:31pm

Boulder Lightpackers
Sorry for your schedule conflict, Gordon. When we scored the meeting room space at Neptune's, we had to commit to a specific day each month through 2014. We decided upon the second Tuesday of t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Attn: Boulder, CO area people!
April 02, 5:15pm

re: Brew Pub Next Door
It would be great to finally meet you Randy, after all this time. And you will win the gnar award for the drive through Denver during the height of rush hour!

April 02, 12:48pm

It's free, for everybody
It's a completely free program. We don't have any money, so that's why we can't even pay Mags an honorarium (but maybe a couple of free beers at the brew pub next door afterwards). ...

April 02, 12:31pm

Attn: Boulder, CO area people!
I want to announce an upcoming local event. Our Boulder Lightpackers meet-up group will be hosting a forum on through-hiking (or section hiking) long trails. We will have BPL's own Paul Mag...

April 02, 9:02am

re:...do you really need to puncture it?
My recycling center boys get kinda grumpy if they aren't punctured first. I think I read where you don't want to use a galvanized nail to poke the holes, as they might cause a spark. Not go...

In Philosophy & Technique » What Do You Do with Almost-Empty Fuel Canisters?
April 01, 10:51am

All Reader Reviews by Gary Dunckel

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
Mountain House's Pro Pack meal bags fit perfectly in the PCS cup. After adding the boiling water to the bag, stirring it up, and resealing it, you can empty the remaining water from the PCS, drop ...

In Stoves - Canister
March 18, 11:41am

Hilleberg Akto
I agree that the Akto is a very strong and high quality 4-season solo tent. But I must add an anecdote to illustrate the what I feel is the tent's main weakness. In early October of '06 we wer...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 28, 9:08am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
What the previous posts have neglected to mention is that the Amphib is perhaps the lightest (24 ounces/pair)"running shoe" that can be taken on a standard extended backpack trip (not fast packing) fo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 18, 7:45pm