BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 121 - 130 of 289 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...29

Forum » Thread

FS: ULA CDT Pack, M/L
For Sale: ULA CDT frameless backpack size medium/large. Torso measures 18.5 inches (from underside of shoulder strap to center of hipbelt). Pack includes hand loops, water bottle loops, removable i...

In Gear Swap » FS: ULA CDT Pack, M/L
August 18, 11:28am

Re: Cap?
The hat I'm wearing is the Montbell Stainless Mesh Cap. Its very lightweight and covers well, but guess what -- it doesn't provide good sun protection, the top of my head got sunburned. I h...

In Editor's Roundtable » Granite Gear Virga Review
August 11, 3:29pm

FS: Fanatic Fringe Alpine Trail SUL backpack, 7 oz
This is a smaller volume pack for Superultralight backpacking. Volume is 2400 cubic inches, weight is 7 oz, one size. No hipbelt or sternum strap. Fabric is coated nylon and has a drawcord closure ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Fanatic Fringe Alpine Trail SUL backpack, 7 oz
July 24, 2:20pm

ZPacks
Hi all, here's responses to your comments and questions specific to the ZPacks Dyneema 26: Compression System: I agree that braided cord would provide more solid compression rather than elas...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 3 – Packs for UltraLight Backpacking
July 22, 4:00pm

Cuben Fiber Prophet
John, According to Ron Bell at MLD, a Cuben version of the popular Prophet pack will be available. Oftentimes it takes awhile for things to get on the website since small manufacturers do many role...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 3 – Packs for UltraLight Backpacking
July 13, 6:53am

Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 MSRP
I corrected the MSRP as per Matt Huff's comment. We typically list the MSRP in US$ when there is a US distributor and we can get the US MSRP. This is a mistake on my part, and I apologize for t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review
June 24, 8:07am

Reply to Frameless Backpack Volume Measure and Volume Reduction Comments
Hi all, thanks for the comments and kudos. Roger helped me with Figures 2 and 3; we needed to trick MS Excel a bit to do it. Lots of graphs in Part 2B coming up. Re the SMD Traveler pack, we dec...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011
Part 2A – Technical Evaluation – Measurement of Pack Volume and Volume Reduction Capability

June 21, 8:00pm

Re: Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Choosing and Using a Frameless Pack
Hi all, here's my responses to some of the comments: What's a LBP?? Removable Stays: Several comments on packs not included. Packs like the ULA Ohm and Osprey Hornet are IF, not frame...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Choosing and Using a Frameless Pack
June 03, 7:44am

Responses to GoLite Peak Backpack review
Hi all, good conversation going regarding the GoLite Peak pack, and pack reviews in general. Here are a few responses: Brendon: You are very observant, the 2004 Jam we reviewed weighed 21.1 ounc...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite Peak Backpack Review
January 06, 12:19pm

Responses to BSI Mirage 1P Questions
Hi Everyone. My responses to your questions: Dan: The SuprSil HD floor is just as slippery as generic silnylon. It is a really nice floor fabric. I paint some silicone stripes on the floor to ke...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Sky International Mirage 1P Tent Review
November 19, 9:25am

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm