BPL Community Profile

Ryan Smith (ViolentGreen) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Ryan Smith has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ryan Smith

Showing 121 - 130 of 877 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: First sewing attempts and questions
A. I use pins usually. Some don't and that is fine. Small price to pay for your stuff staying put IMO. B. Practice helps a ton. Start slow until you can get straight stitches every time, the...

In Make Your Own Gear » First sewing attempts and questions
January 06, 11:23am

Re: Re: Re: What's the verdict?
At the same weight, a Driducks jacket will have better air permeability at the expense of durability. Seems there isnt a free lunch. Easy on the pocket fortunately. Ryan

In GEAR » Lab Test - Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric
January 06, 11:10am

Re: What's the verdict?
Verdict - It is still a very light rain jacket, but don't expect it to handle humidity/sweat/etc. better than a lower priced option with the same options. Ryan

In GEAR » Lab Test - Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric
January 06, 5:57am

Re: S2S nano netting inside a trailstar?
I have one and really like it. Good compromise between no protection and a full net tent style setup. You probably don't need any creepy crawly protection, but if you are like me, just worryin...

In GEAR » S2S nano netting inside a trailstar?
January 05, 12:06pm

Re: Interesting from Patagonia re CFM: "No Higher than 15 CFM for Shells."
Interesting. I suppose hikers are OK with a little more heat loss created by higher CFM apparel since we are generating a lot of heat while moving. I would agree with their claim if 1-5 CFM being c...

In GEAR » Alpine Houdini
January 04, 8:29pm

Re: My Hitchhiking Chattanooga to Nashville
Living in and around that neck of the woods all of my life, it does not surprise me a bit that you found so many people willing to help you. Looks like quite the adventure. Ryan

In Photo Gallery » My Hitchhiking Chattanooga to Nashville
January 03, 11:12am

Re: Re: The big bang theory, a big let down? Major branch of science becoming dogmatic? An interesting article
"scientists are humans too and humans by nature tend to be subjective, with beliefs not based entirely on pure logic/reason, but on various factors, some very subtle and unconscious and some m...

In Chaff » The big bang theory, a big let down? Major branch of science becoming dogmatic? An interesting article
January 02, 11:14am

Re: Aww, I'm late.
Ha. Hang in there Dilthey. I think Derek is gonna keep this train rolling. Ryan

In GEAR » Earth Runner Sandals vs Exodus Sandals
January 02, 10:44am

Re: Re: It's finally here
My mother lost her job 2 yrs ago when the local hospital shut down. So of course she lost her insurance as well. Guess what, no one wants to hire a 61 yr old with only a high school education espec...

In Chaff » Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?
January 01, 1:16pm

Re: question about down quilts and baffles/sewn through
It may help some although probably not very much IMO. At 10oz of down, I think you would be fine at 30 deg as is with a sewn through design. My sewn through at the link has been golden at 40 deg wi...

In Make Your Own Gear » question about down quilts and baffles/sewn through
January 01, 12:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Ryan Smith

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA Ohm
I've had an Ohm for about a year now and have taken it on a few trips. It's very comfortable provided that you keep it in the weight range it's designed for. When carrying 20-25 lbs it car...

In Backpacks - Frameless
September 10, 5:36pm