BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 121 - 130 of 484 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...49

Forum » Thread

Pads
In NC it could be. I find the summer issue to be more of the non- breathable nature of the pad more than the insulating value. My mattress at home is most likely R20 or more but it breathes. ...

In GEAR » Enlightened quilt-NC mountains
August 10, 2:59pm

Quilt
I have tried a number of the more popular quilts and can't say enough good things about Katabatic. I have 3 and would recommend the Palisade wide and long. You could even add a couple oz of o...

In GEAR » Need advice on a sleeping bag
August 10, 12:56pm

Pads
At the temps you are anticipating (20 f or so), I would recommend the neo all season, exped ul7 synthetic or exped ul7 down. All three can be seen at most REI stores.

In GEAR » Enlightened quilt-NC mountains
August 10, 12:50pm

UL 7 Synmat or Downmat
Last year I used a UL 7 Synmat and really liked it but felt a bit cool at freezing. I must admit that I have been pushing the limits of a 40f quilt into the 20's, but out of curiosity I purcha...

In GEAR » Which Exped pad?
July 01, 7:54am

Luxury pads
Definately pads for me. I have been through everything out there and currently have settled on an Exped UL downmat... Love the pump sack! I have been sleeping on this even in warm weather (50 to ...

In GEAR » BackSliding
June 27, 8:32am

Width
That's a bit narrow for comfortable two person use imho. I too would like to see 55-60" for the width. Two large pads would be a no go.

In GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!
June 08, 8:16am

Overfill
I have a Katabatic Chisos with similar dimensions if not slightly larger, that normally comes with 8.6 oz of 900 fill and I had 2 oz added. This bag has 3/4" baffle height and is plenty warm ...

In GEAR » Overfill to boost 40°F TQ down to 30°F
June 05, 4:47pm

Silk pj's
I rarely go to bed without washing first and wear silk weight long tops and bottoms along with silk socks. This works even in fairly warm temps. Just got back today from a five day trip with rec...

In GEAR » quilt sleeping advice...
June 04, 9:32pm

Golite Quilt
I picked one up for my son in reg length and it came in at 24.5oz with a listed fill weight of a bit over 14 oz. Very nice bag for the money and should be good to 20f for most folks. We were out ...

In GEAR » Skurka's Mtn West Quilt
May 30, 9:27am

Custom inner
I had John at Bear Paw make me a custom inner for my SL3. You can see it on his site under the custom tab. It is the one titled "Custom Shangri-la 3 inner tent". It came in at 24 oz and...

In GEAR » Golite Shangri-la series mods and reference
May 25, 4:07pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am