BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 121 - 130 of 498 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...50

Forum » Thread

Creams
+1 on the contact lens case

In GEAR » How do you store cream medication on the trail
October 16, 10:56am

Fuel useage
I routinely heat 28oz in the morning and 28oz in the evening and get 6 days - 12 28oz servings. This is with the Ti Sol and the Jetboil cartridge. In addition, mornings are near freezing with eve...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Week-long trips and Jetboil fuel usage and menu ala Jetboil?
October 15, 2:15pm

Cut Platy
I use a cut off 2L platy as well.

In GEAR » what sort of water containers do you use with a steripen?
October 15, 1:49pm

New favorites
New for 2012 1. Katabatic Chisos wide with 2 oz overfill 2. Exped UL 7 downmat 3. Schnozzle pump sack

In GEAR » Favorite piece of gear - Fall 2012 edition
October 15, 1:46pm

Zips
All of this is why I moved to quilts.

In GEAR » Center zip sleeping bags?
October 12, 10:40am

Wide vs regular
I have both a regular Chisos and a wide Chisos, and have a regular Sawatch as well. There is a noticeable difference in the wide version and the wide Chisos is my go to bag down to freezing and a ...

In GEAR » Katabatic quilt: Wide vs Regular
October 06, 8:28am

Firstlight
I have been using a Firstlight and a Skylight since they first came out under a wide range of conditions with good results. The Skylight is the original yellow epic fabric and is still going stron...

In GEAR » Decisions..decisions. BD firstlight or hilight?
September 30, 8:48am

Katabatic
I have several Katabatic quilts. Chisos, Chisos Wide, and Sawatch. Both Chisos bags have 2oz overfill and the wide is my go to bag down to freezing and slightly below. I have used the Sawatch do...

In GEAR » quilt comparison -- katabatic sawatch vs enlightened equipment reveleation x 0 deg
September 25, 10:11am

Choices
I have owned and slept on all three and prefer the UL Downmat for it's warmth and comfort. The synmat UL7 just wasn't warm enough below freezing and the All Season was a bit loud but more...

In GEAR » Exped UL Synmat 7 vs. Exped UL Downmat 7 vs Thermarest Neoair All Season
September 24, 9:01am

JMT
Thank you for reminding me why I left California (among many other reasons), and haven't been back.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » just finished the JMT... a few observations and thoughts
September 11, 1:16pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am