Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 121 - 130 of 501 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...51

Forum » Thread

Cats
As long as you remove the turntable...we wouldn't want to make the little buggers dizzy.

In Chaff » No Need to Pussy Foot Around This Problem
December 10, 2:46pm

Return policy
I attended a garage sale just a few weeks ago and the overwhelming numbers of bike racks and strollers was very interesting. Most appeared to have been used very little, say one vacation. I mad...

In GEAR » REI currently working on new return policies
November 14, 8:22am

Back
Glad to be back as well. I felt like a big time lurker.

In Chaff » David Ure and such....
November 13, 1:32pm

Creams
+1 on the contact lens case

In GEAR » How do you store cream medication on the trail
October 16, 10:56am

Fuel useage
I routinely heat 28oz in the morning and 28oz in the evening and get 6 days - 12 28oz servings. This is with the Ti Sol and the Jetboil cartridge. In addition, mornings are near freezing with eve...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Week-long trips and Jetboil fuel usage and menu ala Jetboil?
October 15, 2:15pm

Cut Platy
I use a cut off 2L platy as well.

In GEAR » what sort of water containers do you use with a steripen?
October 15, 1:49pm

New favorites
New for 2012 1. Katabatic Chisos wide with 2 oz overfill 2. Exped UL 7 downmat 3. Schnozzle pump sack

In GEAR » Favorite piece of gear - Fall 2012 edition
October 15, 1:46pm

Zips
All of this is why I moved to quilts.

In GEAR » Center zip sleeping bags?
October 12, 10:40am

Wide vs regular
I have both a regular Chisos and a wide Chisos, and have a regular Sawatch as well. There is a noticeable difference in the wide version and the wide Chisos is my go to bag down to freezing and a ...

In GEAR » Katabatic quilt: Wide vs Regular
October 06, 8:28am

Firstlight
I have been using a Firstlight and a Skylight since they first came out under a wide range of conditions with good results. The Skylight is the original yellow epic fabric and is still going stron...

In GEAR » Decisions..decisions. BD firstlight or hilight?
September 30, 8:48am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am