BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 121 - 130 of 471 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...48

Forum » Thread

Niche products
I think it is the niche products that will interest the BPL community the most. I potentially see some very exciting products coming at lightweight prices - a winning combination in any economy.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka interviews GoLite President Demetri Coupounas
May 10, 9:25am

The "new" Golite
Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I definately think they are ahead of mainstream manufactures with this business model. Hmmmm, lightest freestanding tents on the market? Maybe ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka interviews GoLite President Demetri Coupounas
May 10, 9:00am

PS4
Mine weighs 1.7oz

In GEAR » UL multi tool of choice
May 01, 2:14pm

Quilt at home
I have a myog quilt that ended up too small for backcountry use that is used at home. Primarily it sees duty when sitting and reading or at the computer or watching movies. It's also my 10 ...

In GEAR » Using your quilt outside of the backcountry
April 28, 9:52am

Fill Weight
Just received a regular length 3 season quilt for my 14 year old son and the tag states 405g of down....14oz. More that I thought it would have. Haven't yet weighed it for total weight. It d...

In GEAR » Golite Ultralight Three Season Quilt
April 27, 2:30pm

Delivery
I ordered Monday and it came today. Pretty fast in my book.

In Gear Deals » Crazy Golite Sale
April 26, 4:19pm

XA
I wish I had never gotten rid of my XA. Wonderful outdoor images.

In Photography » Film Camera
April 17, 4:39pm

Delivered
I ordered last Monday or Tuesday and received it on Friday, along with a SL1 and nest.

In Gear Deals » GoLite Chrome Dome Umbrella $19 and Free Shipping
April 16, 11:12am

Shoes
Trying to dry them out with moss?

In Philosophy & Technique » Can you guess what?
April 14, 7:22pm

Cooling cans
This concept has been around since the early 70's. The only one I have seen commercialized was in Mexico for a Coke product. Pop the top and compressed CO2 escaped through a coiled tube, cool...

In Chaff » self chilling beverages
April 14, 9:50am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am