BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 121 - 130 of 281 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...29

Forum » Thread

Marmot Helium
I will add to the endorsements. I have an older version of the bag with the half zip. The temp rating is accurate, it is quality and fluffs quickly. Good bag for cold weather and mine weighs 28 oz.

In GEAR » Marmot Helium
March 31, 7:05am

You don't need to dilute.
For almost all of the silnylon sealing I now do, I don't dilute the silicon sealer at all. What I do is to "load" the seam by pulling it "apart" or open for a short stretch...

In GEAR » Seam Sealing a Tarptent
March 07, 9:20am

hood or hoodless wind shirt
For those of you who don't like hoods flapping in the breeze, consider just folding the hood to the inside of the wind shirt when you put it on. No flapping and you can put on a balaclava any ...

In GEAR » hood or hoodless wind shirt
February 12, 7:04pm

hood or hoodless wind shirt
Another vote for the hoody. I have one of each and seldom use the hood-less one. Both of mine are home made and by some quirk, the one with a hood weighs less than does the hooded one. Both shir...

In GEAR » hood or hoodless wind shirt
February 12, 4:14pm

SOLD. FS New SMD Starlight Pack
I am selling my brand new, SMD Starlite pack. It has has never been used other than to be packed and unpacked with my gear a few times. It has also been worn around the house to work with fit and c...

In Gear Swap » FS New SMD Starlight Pack
February 12, 8:25am

At what pack weight would you wear boots
I used to do a lot of climbing in Washington and British Columbia. For a lot of these trips I was carrying 70 to 80 pounds of gear, food and climbing equipment. From about 1975 on, I almost invar...

In GEAR » At what pack weight would you wear boots?
January 26, 5:07pm

Groupthink at camp MYOG.
I am pretty sure that, because of his narrow perspective, Gimpslayer is missing an important point. That point being; not everyone is all that interested in gear. I am sure that there are ma...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Groupthink at camp MYOG..
January 14, 8:47am

Solo shelter options
Take a look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek tent. Complete with poles, stakes and small Tyvek ground sheet it weighs 35 oz.

In GEAR » Solo shelter options
January 11, 6:56pm

Your favorite wind proof headwear?
You might want to take a look at the Bomber Hat on Ray Jardine's RayWay website. You have to sew it but I like the idea that you don't need a parka hood up to keep your head warm and prote...

In GEAR » Your favorite wind proof headwear?
January 05, 6:10am

My 3 Season Set up
One thing that you could do to get more help would be to list your gear by it's function rather than just the brand name. There are probably several of us on this forum who don't know ...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season Set up
December 24, 6:27am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm