BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 121 - 130 of 517 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...52

Forum » Thread

Re: best current PLB ?
To me the rescueME PLB1 from oceanview seems to be a better choice then the ACR ResQLink. Lighter, smaller, longer warranty/battery life, similar in usability, meets all PLB specs - looks better...

In GEAR » PLB/Satellite phone/SPOT new technologies?
April 14, 11:45pm

Re: Re: Why wouldn't this work?
Eneloops are 1.2v x 2500mAh = 3000 watts x 4 batteries = 12,000 total watts of energy. Li-ion are roughly 3.6v x 10,000 mAh (in the example) = 36,000 total watts of energy, or, 3x as much juice ...

In GEAR » Battery charger pack specs comparison!
April 05, 5:35pm

Maybe not just Lone Star ticks
From the 2012 Science Now article: ... although the highest number of reported cases of alpha-gal allergy were found in the southeastern United States, the allergy—which has affected about 1500 ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tick bites causing serious meat allergies
April 05, 5:16pm

Tick bites causing serious meat allergies
Some tick bites are causing serious allergies to meat, dairy, and meat-derived medicines. It's a problem all over the USA, and parts of Australia and Europe. Ticked Off About a Growing Aller...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tick bites causing serious meat allergies
April 05, 10:38am

Re: New allergy.....to tick bites.
Kat, Thanks for posting that. As others have said, you might have developed an allergy to tick bites, especially since the symptoms are getting worse. Good idea to consult a doctor, you don'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New allergy.....to tick bites.
April 05, 10:22am

Baking soda
Shake the water out, dump a tablespoon or so of baking soda inside, put the cap back on, shake it all around, throw it in the gear box. Never had any problems in 30+ years. Works on all kinds of wa...

In GEAR » Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?
April 04, 5:10pm

Re: New Firmware for the SE with New Features
Reminder: DeLorme inReach SE firmware updates will reset some of your settings. Check after update. In my case, Time Zone reset to Eastern, Bluetooth reset to On, Display Timer reset to 30 secon...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
April 03, 12:04am

Re: AlpenLITE Superlight packs
Alpenlite re-branded itself as AlpenLITE and introduced its Superlight Pack Series models that ranged in weight from 10 oz to 24 oz My all-time favorite pack was the 24 oz AlpenLITE pack. Just b...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack
April 02, 9:14pm

Re: Re: Re: Hanging on the face of a cliff with one arm busted up
PLB, SPOT and InReach will all get an SOS signal out from under canopy, but they might not be able to get a GPS fix - so the SOS message might not have coordinates with it. Except the Air Force ...

In GEAR » PLB use
April 02, 9:00pm

Compare to Tarptent Double Rainbow?
Will, Why did you choose the Tarptent Scarp 2 instead of the Double Rainbow for comparison to the REI Dash 2? The Double Rainbow is much closer in specifications. And you reviewed the Double Rai...

In Editor's Roundtable » REI Dash 2 (2-Person, Double Wall) Tent Review
April 02, 9:36am

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.