BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 121 - 130 of 408 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...41

Forum » Thread

My simple take
1. Look for multi-use conflicts in your gear. 2. Decide if you can live with them. 3. If not, decide if you can work around them some or all of the time. (e.g. inflate Ziplocs and put in you...

In Multiple Use Gear » The Multi-use bind
November 24, 7:12pm

Thanks! Please send more!
Thanks everyone for your forum posts and PMs, they will improve the article immensely. Please send more stories and pointers. Every little bit helps. For example, Rescue 360 is run by a compa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How much do rescues cost?
November 24, 7:00pm

Re: Re: Back to cell phones and 911 ...
The operator kept asking him for the nearest cross-roads and simply would not accept that there were no roads anywhere nearby. Operator failures are part of the problem in multiple ways. Appare...

In GEAR » Serious problems with cell phone 911 call locations
November 22, 7:53pm

BPL ads and malware?
When I access BPL from some well-protected computers, most or all the ads are blocked by anti-malware software, i.e. the ads could infect my computer. I dug into some of the blocked ads, and ads...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL ads and malware?
November 21, 9:16pm

Electric cooking? - um no
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=80795 -- Rex

In GEAR » Best Type of Stove for Vehicle Storage?
November 21, 8:00pm

Re: Re: DeLorme inReach SE can show your coordinates
So, you have to send a tracking point in order to use it for GPS position? That sounds like the cash meter will be running. Depends on your plan and usage. Cheapest plan includes 10 msgs per mon...

In GEAR » Garmin for the semi-luddite
November 20, 3:03pm

DeLorme inReach SE can show your coordinates
Yes, the DeLorme inReach SE can show your coordinates, but it takes a couple of steps. You look under "History", and select the most recent point. You will get your Latitude and Longit...

In GEAR » Garmin for the semi-luddite
November 20, 8:56am

Link to Good Morning America clip
Here's the Good Morning America clip on 911 location problems that John mentioned: http://gma.yahoo.com/video/murder-victims-husband-fights-improve-121323771.html Light on details, long on ...

November 18, 10:53pm

Back to cell phones and 911 ...
I'm not encouraging anyone to take a cell phone, inReach SE, PLB, or even a map and compass (*) into the wilderness. That's an individual decision, and I respect whatever decision you caref...

November 18, 10:35pm

Taking Kraft "parmesan cheese" on the trail
Kraft "parmesan cheese" mixed with garlic powder, dried basil, and pine nuts, will keep for several months in a Seal-A-Meal vacuum pouch. Ran that experiment as leftover food from several...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Taking good parmesan cheese on the trail
November 18, 10:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.