Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 121 - 130 of 524 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...53

Forum » Thread

Re: They don't break.
All my 1980-vintage lexan spoons, stamped PERMAWARE, are still going strong. Mine was about 10 years old, and stamped PERMAWARE. So it goes. -- Rex

In GEAR » Yes, you can break a Lexan spoon
April 18, 7:51pm

Re: speak of the devil
Stienstra's blog post is for April 28 - of last year! -- Rex

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Highway 108 open for the season!
April 18, 5:49pm

Re: Re: Yes, you can break a Lexan spoon
I had already cut an inch off the handle! I think there is a weight-functionality tradeoff here: - With half a spoon, I take twice as long to eat dinner. Dinner gets cold, so I don't eat ...

April 18, 4:29pm

Yes, you can break a Lexan spoon
Surprise on night 3 of a 7 night trip when I opened the cook kit and found half a spoon. I have no idea how this happened. Ate dinner with half a spoon, being very careful of the razor-sharp...

April 18, 4:12pm

That's "100% Grated", not ...
The name is accurate, 100% of the contents are grated :-) In my experience, Kraft or knockoffs will last weeks to months in vacuum-sealed pouches, if packed in very clean conditions. For a re...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Large Size Parmesan Paketsand/or Parmesan Resupply "Handling"
April 17, 5:49pm

Re: Re: Big Sky inflatable pillow
Used the Big Sky pillow on a recent seven night trip. On the last night, I had a "well, duh!" moment that made a big difference. Old procedure: Set up camp, inflate pillow, make dinner...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question for fellow side sleepers
April 15, 11:34pm

3...2...1?
Started out at #3, mostly #2 after a couple of years, edging toward #1 now. People change. -- Rex

In Philosophy & Technique » Backpacking solo
April 15, 12:07am

Re: best current PLB ?
To me the rescueME PLB1 from oceanview seems to be a better choice then the ACR ResQLink. Lighter, smaller, longer warranty/battery life, similar in usability, meets all PLB specs - looks better...

In GEAR » PLB/Satellite phone/SPOT new technologies?
April 14, 11:45pm

Re: Re: Why wouldn't this work?
Eneloops are 1.2v x 2500mAh = 3000 watts x 4 batteries = 12,000 total watts of energy. Li-ion are roughly 3.6v x 10,000 mAh (in the example) = 36,000 total watts of energy, or, 3x as much juice ...

In GEAR » Battery charger pack specs comparison!
April 05, 5:35pm

Maybe not just Lone Star ticks
From the 2012 Science Now article: ... although the highest number of reported cases of alpha-gal allergy were found in the southeastern United States, the allergy—which has affected about 1500 ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tick bites causing serious meat allergies
April 05, 5:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.