Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Martin (MikeMartin) - BPL Staff

My Locale North Idaho
About Me Michael Martin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Martin

Showing 121 - 130 of 513 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...52

Forum » Thread

Re: Winter stove base
Cut the bottoms off of three soda cans. For a heavy pot, use 24oz Heineken or Fosters cans.

In GEAR » Winter stove base
January 18, 11:53pm

Re: Gas canister use in cold
A couple of notes: 1) bear in mind that n-butane and iso-butane have different boiling points. I don't recall which variety Snowpeak and MSR use, but a lot of n-butane in the mix would be b...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gas canister use in cold
January 17, 12:00pm

Re: WTB: Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack
I have a size regular black/sage one in pristine condition. $90 plus shipping. Please PM me if you'd like more info. Cheers, -Mike M

In Gear Swap » WTB: Granite GearVapor Trail
January 15, 3:54pm

Re: Gaiters for skiing
For cross country skiing, I like a shortie gaiter like Integral Designs eVent, REI Spring, Or MLD. The secret to making these work is to tuck the top into your tights or long johns. This gives a ...

In GEAR » Gaiters for skiing
January 14, 11:37am

Re: Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
Hey, NoDoze is a lot lighter than all those "luxury" caffeine fixes. What's next, backcountry espresso makers? How about a Starbucks every 10 miles on the PCT? Cheers, -Mike M....

In Editor's Roundtable » Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
January 13, 11:18pm

Re: Adult beverages in the backcountry.
It's not ultralight. And, wine snobs will surely scoff. But... Some wine is available in boxes instead of bottles. Inside the box is a bladder. Throw away the box. Take the bladder hiking....

In Philosophy & Technique » Adult beverages in the backcountry.
January 12, 11:31pm

Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag
Just take the BPL Wilderness Trekking III course...It's as close to survival as you'll want to get. ;) [Yes, I'm just kidding. No disrespect is intended to those who've endure...

In Philosophy & Technique » Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag
January 12, 11:25pm

Re: winter stove recommendation?
Sorry, but I don't have any further info about how long the Powermax fuel will be made. The adapter lets you use conventional Lindal valve canisters with an Xtreme stove. But, the Powermax ...

In GEAR » winter stove recommendation?
January 11, 11:56am

Re: winter stove recommendation?
I agree with Roger and others about the Coleman Xtreme being the gold standard in winter stoves. It's one of the few stoves *designed* to operate with a liquid fuel feed (rather than just *use...

In GEAR » winter stove recommendation?
January 11, 11:19am

Re:Other gaiter options?
>> IMO gaiters will just funnel more rain into your shoes. The trick to using gaiters is to "shingle" them with your pants. So, the gaiters go under the pants at the top (or tuc...

In GEAR » Other gaiter options?
January 10, 5:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Martin

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
If you just bend the arms up slightly, it will support a Heineken Pot cleanly.

In Stoves - Other
May 26, 3:06pm