Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Martin (MikeMartin) - BPL Staff

My Locale North Idaho
About Me Michael Martin has not added a biography yet.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Martin

Showing 121 - 130 of 510 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...51

Forum » Thread

Re: Gaiters for skiing
For cross country skiing, I like a shortie gaiter like Integral Designs eVent, REI Spring, Or MLD. The secret to making these work is to tuck the top into your tights or long johns. This gives a ...

In GEAR » Gaiters for skiing
January 14, 11:37am

Re: Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
Hey, NoDoze is a lot lighter than all those "luxury" caffeine fixes. What's next, backcountry espresso makers? How about a Starbucks every 10 miles on the PCT? Cheers, -Mike M....

In Editor's Roundtable » Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
January 13, 11:18pm

Re: Adult beverages in the backcountry.
It's not ultralight. And, wine snobs will surely scoff. But... Some wine is available in boxes instead of bottles. Inside the box is a bladder. Throw away the box. Take the bladder hiking....

In Philosophy & Technique » Adult beverages in the backcountry.
January 12, 11:31pm

Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag
Just take the BPL Wilderness Trekking III course...It's as close to survival as you'll want to get. ;) [Yes, I'm just kidding. No disrespect is intended to those who've endure...

In Philosophy & Technique » Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag
January 12, 11:25pm

Re: winter stove recommendation?
Sorry, but I don't have any further info about how long the Powermax fuel will be made. The adapter lets you use conventional Lindal valve canisters with an Xtreme stove. But, the Powermax ...

In GEAR » winter stove recommendation?
January 11, 11:56am

Re: winter stove recommendation?
I agree with Roger and others about the Coleman Xtreme being the gold standard in winter stoves. It's one of the few stoves *designed* to operate with a liquid fuel feed (rather than just *use...

In GEAR » winter stove recommendation?
January 11, 11:19am

Re:Other gaiter options?
>> IMO gaiters will just funnel more rain into your shoes. The trick to using gaiters is to "shingle" them with your pants. So, the gaiters go under the pants at the top (or tuc...

In GEAR » Other gaiter options?
January 10, 5:27pm

Re: FS: Inov-8 Roclite 370
Excellent! Thanks Jim. I'm glad another hiker can use them. Best Regards, -Mike M

In Gear Swap » FS: Inov-8 Roclite 370
January 10, 3:20pm

Re: tent for really tall newbie
Not a tent specifically, but a couple of tips for cramming into tents designed for more...ummm..."compact" persons: 1) Drape your rain jacket over the foot of your sleeping bag to prot...

In GEAR » tent for really tall newbie
January 09, 9:13pm

Re: Hex in Winter
>> ...just trying to get an idea of what it can handle/how I might need to alter it. I have one of the original Hex's -- not even a Hex "3". I agree with the other posters...

In GEAR » GoLite Shangri-La 3/Hex in winter
January 05, 10:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Martin

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
If you just bend the arms up slightly, it will support a Heineken Pot cleanly.

In Stoves - Other
May 26, 3:06pm