BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 121 - 130 of 556 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...56

Forum » Thread

Adjustable Torso
I like adjustable torso packs, since it allows me to fine tune the adjustment to account for different clothing in different seasons (ie: T-shirt only vs fleece + rain shell). However, I ONLY ...

In GEAR » Fixed Torso vs. Adjustable Torso
December 30, 6:25pm

Packs for Kids
I had a very hard time finding a pack to fit my son when he was about 10 years old and ready to carry all his stuff except tent and food. The biggest issue was finding a pack with a hip belt tha...

In GEAR » Kids BackPack recommendations
December 22, 4:39pm

Fire starting
I've heard that pregrating the MG causes it to oxidize and become less easy to light, and produce a smaller amount of flame once it lights. I've also heard that powdered magnesium oxidizes...

In GEAR » Help with a Mg firestarter
August 26, 4:58pm

Beginner UL
I'd get an REI Flash 50. I think 50L is the perfect "transitioning from traditional to UL backpacking" pack - since it forces you to bring less (much less if you were a bring 2 sets ...

In GEAR » Beginning UL'er, too early for a pack purchase?
August 26, 4:49pm

3 season bag
My experience is that the down bags are pretty close to their rated temps. BUT, the rating is based on sleeping in a base layer top, bottom, socks, and a knit hat. So, I'm comfy at 20 degrees...

In GEAR » Is a 15 degree bag too warm for me?
August 22, 5:58pm

Re: Re: light food
Monty (or anyone else), Did you get Freezer Bag Cooking to work with the Lipton Alfredo or Rice ? I always get noodles and rice that are still a tiny bit crunchy, and alfredo sauce that won't...

In GEAR » Light Food
August 15, 12:37pm

Kelty Noah Tarp
I have the Noah 10x12 tarp. There are tie-outs mid-way along the sides on that size. It's main problem is that it's strongly cat-cut - and designed to be pitched on a diagonal (like the &...

In GEAR » Budget Tarping: Kelty Noah's Tarp 9x9
August 15, 6:48am

Light weight Climbing Pack
I'm thinking a climbing pack probably has the fabric I'm looking for. Most have hipbelts and frames that are geared toward climbing rather than walking though, and extra things like crampo...

In GEAR » Simple, durable pack needed
August 13, 7:33pm

pack
I'm looking for something with more durable fabric than 210. Maybe 325-400-ish denier. Does anyone know of a lightweight rock climbing pack that has a comfy hipbelt and a frame shape designed...

August 12, 12:44pm

Simple, durable pack needed
I'm looking for a lightweight pack that can take some abrasion due to rough handling for boyscouts who are are trying to "go lighter". ie: laying it down on it's back (where the ...

August 12, 9:00am

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm