BPL Community Profile

John Roan (JRoan) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Vegas
About Me Up high, with the ancient bristlecones, or deep in a slot canyon.
CityLas Vegas
StateNV
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.MountainUltraLight.com
My PDF Gear ListCouples 3 season list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Roan

Showing 121 - 130 of 206 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Proof that hiking in shoes is better than hiking in boots
Does anyone know of any medical study that proves hiking in lightweight, low cut shoes is actually better than hiking in boots? This would obviously help me convince the other leaders in my troop. ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » What age to change to trail runners?
October 01, 1:28pm

Dehydrated wine
Dan, I'm more of a red wine drinker....how about dehydrated red wine? John

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Rum & Coke?
September 27, 10:32pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?
Yeah I understand time for projects is hard to find. I just started a project to modify my BCB today...now I have to get it done before my next trip the week after next. If you do find the time...

In GEAR » Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?
September 27, 9:13pm

Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?
Tim, You like making your own gear right? Have you thought about making your own clothes? I've just started learning how to sew...but sewing my own clothes is one thing I want to try. ...

In GEAR » Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?
September 27, 8:43pm

Re: Esbit tabs
Esbit tabs tend to break up in small pieces when you try to break them, kind of like crumbling. But, I bet there is a way to break them more cleanly...I haven't spent any time trying. I have go...

In Philosophy & Technique » Esbit vs. alcohol with Caldera systems
September 27, 7:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Cuben tarps - roll or stuff?
"Cuben Fiber retains 100% of its original strength after being folded 250 times." according to questoutfitters.com. Might just be personal preference.

In GEAR » Cuben tarps - roll or stuff?
September 27, 7:32pm

Re: Esbit vs. alcohol with Caldera systems
Some notes I had previously recorded on this subject... 12/25/2008 Got my new Caldera Keg system for xmas (there really is a Santa!) I like Esbit for its low weight and & convenience, bu...

In Philosophy & Technique » Esbit vs. alcohol with Caldera systems
September 27, 7:26pm

Re: Works with velcro, too
Scott, Velcro makes sense if you are changing the length of the pad. Have you had any trouble with the sections staying together when you are sleeping on the pad (from moving around)? As you ca...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Sleeping Pad / Backpack Frame/Back Pad
September 27, 3:19pm

MYOG Sleeping Pad / Backpack Frame/Back Pad
I thought I would share a successful Multi-Use MYOG project I did some time ago... I started out with a Nunatak Lunapad, cut it in half to approximately 20 x 40, then cut slits about 2/3 of the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Sleeping Pad / Backpack Frame/Back Pad
September 26, 4:34pm

Re: Caldera Cone adaptors
"Being restricted to just ONE size pot seems a very limiting design. " But an ingenious way to get you to purchase more than one! I have two + an inferno!

In GEAR » Caldera Keg
September 26, 10:41am

All Reader Reviews by John Roan

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
My rating is actually 4.5 out of 5 (not an option in the drop down box). I...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 19, 5:35pm

Trail Designs Ti-Tri Inferno
The guys at Trail Designs have built a reputation for themselves by providing innovative products and excellent customer service. Their Caldera Cone system was a revolution in UL wind screen/pot holde...

In Stoves - Other
August 21, 5:35pm