BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 121 - 130 of 430 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...43

Forum » Thread

Yup....Engineer
I remember this question coming up a couple years ago. I'm a Civil Engineer working for a private consulting firm here in the Seattle area. I've been at it for 23 years, specializing in w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
November 01, 9:54am

Good Looking Pillow
I like the fact the pillows aren't filled 100% with down. I never understood why I'd want my head to hit the ground. Will the mixture with climashield prevent my head from hitting the gro...

In Gear Deals » UL Rain shell and UL Gear
November 01, 9:45am

Stupid Old Man
What #@@*** me off is that grandpa didn't even bother to wait long enough to see if the bear was with cubs. He's obviously the type to fire first and then leave the cubs to fend for themse...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sheriff: Hiker mistakenly shot by Ore. bear hunter
October 24, 12:22pm

LightHeart Gear
Lets not forget Judy at LightHeart Gear. She's making some amazing great quality cuben tents from her home. I'd never heard of Melanzana before this thread. I just ordered one of their...

In GEAR » support the cottage industry clothing/gear...the real deal!
October 11, 12:35pm

Type in FALL4MEM
There is a call out towards the end of paying for it that ask for coupon numbers or something like that. Enter..... FALL4MEM

In Gear Deals » Ibex Indie Merino Wool Hoody baselayer $48.93
October 07, 2:21pm

THANKS
Just picked up a medium. Awesome deal....and a great way to stop that horrible cold wind from sneaking in the back of ones neck.

In Gear Deals » Ibex Indie Merino Wool Hoody baselayer $48.93
October 07, 8:57am

Awesome Tent - Free Bump
I agree with Douglas...this is my go to 3-season tent. I own this exact cuben tent, but with the zipper on the other side. There's enough room inside to have all your gear next to you. No mo...

In Gear Swap » FS: LightHeart Gear Solo, Cuben
October 07, 8:39am

Correct
I have the titanium Clikstand with titanium windscreen. In this I place the brass Trangia because I want the threaded top. I have the 'clip' piece, but I truthfully didn't know what i...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests
October 05, 2:47pm

I Love my Clikstand
but now you're making me rethink my cook setup. I'm not kidding, my Clikstand has never failed me. What I really like is not having to find that absolute flat spot to set it up. The wide...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests
October 05, 12:30pm

I have Gear you can Borrow
Marcia, Send me a PM if you want to try out various UL gear. I work in Kirkland at the intersection of N. 85th and I-405. I live in West Seattle. I have a half dozen down bugs...sorry no sy...

In GEAR » synthetic vs down
October 03, 4:38pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am