Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 121 - 130 of 451 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...46

Forum » Thread

Did the Kilo 3P end up Shipping?
I thought I'd bring this back to life. I'm looking for a 'comfortable' 2 person freestanding tent for my Camonio de Santiago hike with my sister. I think the Kilo 3P would make he...

In GEAR » Easton Kilo
February 17, 3:16pm

Great Bag Maker...sad to see Javen Stop
I had Javen make me a bag for last years PCT. WOW... what a bag! It's not a quilt. I personally can't sleep in a quilt. I don't like the draft feeling when I roll around. I asked J...

In Editor's Roundtable » Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt
February 08, 8:52am

At REI Warehouse Feb. 13
I just checked with REI and they told me they'll be shipped to their warehouse Feb. 13. When will it hit the store....I don't know.

In GEAR » NeoAir Xtherm - In Stock at Cabelas !!!
February 07, 9:17am

About Time.....
That's great news! A 5.7R pad @ 15 oz. Although that large is very tempting at 25" wide @ 22 oz. I'm a little guy, but even my arms fall off a 20" wide pad. I'll have to c...

In GEAR » NeoAir Xtherm - In Stock at Cabelas !!!
February 07, 9:02am

railrider
Jace, I have a couple of those shirts and they are a bit long, but I like it that way. They go to the bottom of my pants zipper. I am 5' 9" @ 158lbs with swimmers shoulders. I also wea...

In GEAR » Railriders Fit.
February 05, 6:13pm

I have one Kirsten
Kirsten, I have a 2010 Contrail that I've used 3 times in Spring of 2011. It's seam sealed and stays dry. All three times it poured on me. There is absolutley nothing wrong with it, e...

In Gear Swap » FS: Tarptent Contrail
January 30, 11:36am

Keen Dry.......not.
I own the Keen Alamosa with 'Keen Dry'. They do not keep you very dry. I may find myself mistakenly dipping my toes in a creek and instantly find my toes wet. No water came through the t...

In GEAR » keen tryon wp?
January 24, 8:30pm

You will Get Wet
This is my neck of the woods you're asking about. I did the full length of Washington summer of 2011, and trust me you will get wet and hit snow especially with an October completion date. I ...

In GEAR » PCT footwear for Oregon/Washington?
January 22, 9:16am

Floor on Big Agnes
I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 and man does that floor soak through. As you know it rains alot here in the Seattle area and you will be setting up on wet ground. I'm only 155 lbs and if I...

In GEAR » 1P UL's
January 21, 8:53pm

Snoqualmie Pass, Stevens and Stehekin
I was at these three PCT resupply locations summer of 2011. Snoqualmie Pass hotel is where you can send a package if you want to. They also serve great meals after coming off the trail from White...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » PCT Re-Supply
January 19, 11:58am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am