BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 121 - 130 of 2287 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...229

Forum » Thread

Re: Whitney to Lone Pine
I agree that getting from Whitney Portal is a very easy hitch. All those hikers and backpackers can relate to another hiker and want to help out. If you want it to go even faster, Hitching 101...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Whitney to Lone Pine
February 13, 9:42am

Re: Re: Nero day hot showers on a thru hike?
>"asked a cop "i am tired about to literally fall the F over, and is there a spot you'd prefer i do that ... sir ? ". Peter is right about this, at least in smaller towns. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Nero day hot showers on a thru hike?
February 12, 10:02pm

Zebra light
That sure looked like a weight WITH headband, but I didn't have mine handy to check. Bag the headband - lights belong at waist level for hiking because when head mounted, they wash out all bump...

In Gear Lists » How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
February 11, 12:12am

Reasons why
"lose weight? photography? Independence from a significant other? plain curiosity? midlife crisis? nature rehab? a new experience? to impress a dude?" Or perhaps, Gain muscle...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?
February 10, 11:59pm

Re: Trash bags
+1 on Rex's suggestion. Those $4 ponchos, (I've bought them for $0.40 in China) are vinyl. Vinyl gets very brittle below 40F. Hail will punch right through them. We called them suicide ...

In GEAR » Best of the Cheap Ponchos? Polycryo Poncho Yet?
February 10, 11:50pm

Re: Re: Hiking Yosemite in winter with a baby?
>"apparently there was a hanta virus problem at Curry Village in the past ..." Yup. It was in their "Signature Tent Cabins" We got a call from them to look out for Hanta...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking Yosemite in winter with a baby?
February 10, 4:38pm

Re: Hiking Yosemite in winter with a baby?
I've go with the "Lodge at Yosemite Falls" for lower cost, but fully heated rooms. There are motel-style rooms and you're close to the food court. Are there still cabins at the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking Yosemite in winter with a baby?
February 10, 4:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Navigation Skills
>"Don't tell strangers you are hiking alone" I was hiking Resurrection Trail south from Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula and a woman was heading out. I smile, say, "H...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?
February 10, 3:36pm

1960's comfort foods
I predict that Bob's next thread will be about Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars and how he traversed Panama (before the Canal) with nothing but a rucksack full of them.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Bacon
February 10, 2:11pm

Re: Bacon
Bob, I know of what you speak*, but I haven't noticed any for a few decades. That said, a trip to Safeway and 2 minutes with my vac-packer and I could recreate that at a little lower weight. ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Bacon
February 10, 2:08pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.