BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 121 - 130 of 3002 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...301

Forum » Thread

Re: Ideal torso sizing
"Do you think the vise-grip feeling I'm getting with the Arc Blast is a result of my trying to shorten down the torso length in a manner that is inconsistent with the pack's original d...

In GEAR » Zpacks Arc Blast sizing question
June 09, 8:45am

Re: Water levels in a month??
I think 5-6k @ Twin Creek is a reasonable guess for early July. This is a dandy level for the White River and the South Fork. If you go as far north as Black Bear Creek, just be aware that a few ...

In Packrafting » Packrafting trip ideas for a novice
June 08, 2:45pm

Re: Origin of "beta"
Elliot, your account of the term is what I've always heard. Quite sure it has little/nothing to do with computers/IT. I do agree with Steve that the term has a useful specificity and isn'...

In Packrafting » Looking for beta on Olympics
June 08, 2:41pm

Re: Zpacks Arc Blast sizing question
Long story short, there's an acceptable range of torso length. What you prefer will depend on how you like to wear your pack and what you do with it. Torso lengths towards the shorter end...

In GEAR » Zpacks Arc Blast sizing question
June 08, 2:38pm

Re: Pillow slipping out under my head
Place your shoes on the ground toes facing you. Put pillow on shoes.

In GEAR » Pillow slipping out under my head
June 08, 12:26pm

Re: pack fit
"Shouldn't I feel no pain what-so-ever in my shoulders after a 20 mile hike if the weight is all transferred to my hips? Is there any pack that does this?" You bet, after you'v...

In GEAR » How does my backpack fit? (Pics inside)
June 07, 5:21pm

Re: APA Packraft Roundup, July 11-13
Bumping this for anyone who missed it. APA has good numbers registered thus far, with space left. Our meltoff has been late, so water levels should be above average, giving us some good options. ...

In Packrafting » APA Packraft Roundup, July 11-13
June 07, 2:40pm

Re: How does my backpack fit? (Pics inside)
Eli, I see nothing wrong with the fit in your first series of photos. The load lifters should work just fine. Whether they and the other components work for you is another question. One little tw...

In GEAR » How does my backpack fit? (Pics inside)
June 07, 2:33pm

Re: BMWO 2014 Swimming and Hobbling
I got an email from Spelt. He ended up bailing to East Glacier and was able to Amtrack back to Whitefish and retreive his car from our house while I was at work yesterday. So everyone is out fine...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek
June 05, 10:22am

Re: Thanks David!
"We learned more on this one event than any other trip taken." That's what it is all about. Edit; my report and photos: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/06/04/the-2014-bob-ma...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek
June 04, 3:06pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am