BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 121 - 130 of 414 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...42

Forum » Thread

Winter Canister/Multifuel stove suggestions
The Coleman Fyrestorm, Primus EtaPower MF or Primus OmniFuel are all multi-fuel stoves. I've used all three and they all work okay. The Fyrestorm has the advantage in the cold that the canister...

In GEAR » Winter Canister/Multifuel stove suggestions
June 13, 7:04am

Compressing down: What's the science?
Compression does not hurt down in my experience. On my early long distance hikes - the Pacific Crest Trail in 1982 and Continental Divide Trail in 1985 - my down sleeping bag was squeezed into a sm...

In GEAR » Compressing down: What's the science?
June 11, 2:55pm

Compass Use
Lacking a lodestone in my head I use the Silva 1-2-3 system, which I learnt sometime in the 1970s. It still works! http://www.silva.se/upload/Catalogues/123_eng.pdf There are other map and co...

In Editor's Roundtable » Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
June 09, 11:27am

Trekking Pole Science
"I may have mentioned watching a group of walkers going up an asphalt road in France one evening. Gentle slope, easy walking - click, clack, click, clack all the way. They were just waving the...

In GEAR » Trekking Pole Science
June 09, 8:34am

Adjustable Declination
I do the same as Roger except that I adjust for declination after taking the magnetic bearing and with no reference to the map. This has always worked well for me and only takes a few seconds.

In Editor's Roundtable » Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
June 09, 8:27am

Trekking Pole Science
"The older walkers (with 40 years of experience) know they don't need them" Until their knees, hips, ankles, back fail. Then they'll realise they've made a mistake. Trek...

June 06, 4:54pm

Trekking Pole Science
"Why Chris, does this study agree with your opinon?" I don't have an opinion on whether using poles reduces muscle damage or not. In fact that idea hadn't occurred to me, which...

June 05, 1:29pm

Trekking Pole Science
"the participants likely knew what was being tested, which pretty much invalidates the results" From the university press release: "The participants’ heart rates and their pe...

June 04, 5:36pm

Trekking Pole Science
"may have been funded/sponsered by a Treking pole manufacturer" Any evidence for this other than that the study doesn't accord with your opinion? More information on the study w...

June 04, 4:58pm

Tarp without bivy?
Should be fine. I did a five week walk in the High Sierra with a GoLite Cave 1 tarp and a down bag. I didn't have a bivi bag. In fact most nights I didn't use the tarp but just slept out.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp without bivy?
May 31, 2:00pm

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.