Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 121 - 130 of 284 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...29

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: ULA catalyst vs. Gregory Z55
I ordered the dual stays, but having now seen and felt how solid the framesheet is, I agree you should be fine with just the one. I also went with the hydration sleeve ( I prefer these to bottles)...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » ULA catalyst vs. Gregory Z55
June 04, 12:52pm

Re: ULA catalyst vs. Gregory Z55
I've used both. I just finished a 5-day, 55-mile HOT, humid section of the Sheltowee Trace with the Z-55. I've used the Catalyst on a number of short trips since I got mine in February. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » ULA catalyst vs. Gregory Z55
June 03, 5:07pm

Favorite Packs of the UL crowd?
I'm surprised to see so many 3+ pound packs in the "UL" categtory. I've often looked at anything over 2 pounds as being in the lightweight, but not UL, category. For example,...

In GEAR » Favorite Packs of the UL crowd?
May 21, 8:31pm

Re: Unsupported / Unresupplied Hike
"my biggest impression of this style of hiking is- it sucks for the hiker!" I heartily agree, especially when I think of the up/down-repeat ad infinitum killer ascents of the southern ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
May 20, 8:03pm

Snow Peak Fuel
Cat, I've used Jetboil and MSR cannisters with no problem, but I usually use Snow Peak (because they're the least expensive cannisters we carry at my REI).

In GEAR » Which stove do you use most?
May 20, 7:49pm

Which stove do you use most?
In the past, I've been a huge fan of Esbit on my summer long-distance hikes. Using the BPL Esbit Ti wing stove, with home-made foil windscreen and a Snow Peak 700 ml Ti Mug and Lexan spoon, my...

In GEAR » Which stove do you use most?
May 19, 9:49pm

Gregory and MS Packs SOLD
Both packs have been sold.

In Gear Swap » FS: Gregory and MS Packs
May 15, 10:24pm

Re: Montrail shoes sizing help
Montrails tend to be reasonably true to size, but their hallmark is a narrower heel and instep with a noticeable arch and typically with a noticeably wider toe box. I can't wear standard Mo...

In GEAR » Montrail shoes sizing help
May 14, 4:47pm

Re: JMT North - South Records
Best memory is that it's just under 6 days. There are MANY folks looking to break the record this summer. I have to believe at least one will break the five day mark. I won't be one th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT North - South Records
May 14, 3:19pm

Feet growth
I was a size 9 EE when I started the AT in March 99 at 27 years old. When I finished in September 99 I was a 9.5 E. Today, another 3000+ miles of other trails later, I am an 11 D. My feet simp...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Have your feet grown?
May 14, 3:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am