BPL Community Profile

Barry P (BarryP) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
About Me Electrical Engineer by trade. Hobbies include recumbent bike riding, magic, piano, music compostion and of course backpacking.

Backpack monthly with scouts or other small group. Love the exercise and alertness it brings. Ray Way caught my eye in 2001. My load lightened. Because of that, able to go faster, farther, AND still smell the roses. Love the lightweight insight on this forum. I'm also a Teva sandal backpacker. My feet love them.
StateID
My PDF Gear ListBarry's Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Barry P

Showing 121 - 130 of 353 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...36

Forum » Thread

Re: You know you're an ultralighter when...
you have burn marks on your kitchen counter. you don’t sleep in a regular bed at home… you buy the turkey and keep/save the bag netting. you keep all your remarks to ONE post.

In GEAR » You know you're an ultralighter when...
February 06, 1:04pm

Re: Re: Let the "Blow Test" myth die.
“Yeah, if you blow on it and air flows through, it's obviously no good” And vice versa; if you can’t blow air through doesn’t mean it’s still good. Say the 0.1µm hole became 5µm...

In GEAR » Frozen Sawyer Squeeze?
January 29, 6:32pm

Re: Barry....
“Could you elaborate on the 'broken filter' test?” Hello Travis, Yea, I didn’t know what to call it. You take 1qt of water, put about 4 drops of blue dye in it; the water become...

In GEAR » filtering water in cold temps
January 25, 2:18pm

Re: filtering water in cold temps
“ If I keep the filter close to my body when not in use, will it be warm enough to not compromise the integrity of the filter and will it still perform well when filtering?” That’s hard to...

In GEAR » filtering water in cold temps
January 25, 1:35pm

Re: Backpacker Mag Deals?
You can get a $7 subscription here: http://www.magazinediscountcenter.com/magazine-subscription/Backpacker.html I'm going to try it out. -Barry

In Gear Deals » Backpacker Mag Deals?
January 23, 2:10pm

Re: Where does durability win over light weight?
Last July, I was on a 5-day 50-mile trek in the Wind Rivers with some boy scouts. My 5.5oz umbrella kept blowing out on me (turning inside out). Now I’m using the 8oz Golite umbrella. It doesn’...

In GEAR » Where does durability win over light weight?
January 10, 1:11pm

Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear?
I can’t wait to crawl under my zpack 16.4oz 20F quilt every night. And I’ve been enjoying my steripen opti more than I expected because of: 1. I love cold mountain mineral water taste. A ca...

In GEAR » What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear?
January 10, 12:35pm

Re: My first quilt - one quilt, all seasons, room to move
Well, since no one else did, I’ll put my plug in for the 20F zpack quilt. I love my WM bags and my Jacks-R-Better quilts but I keep going back to the zpack 20F for 3+ season hiking. Mine weighs...

In GEAR » My first quilt - one quilt, all seasons, room to move
January 09, 12:58pm

Re: Cold Feet Sleepers - Solution Debate
I use the 3oz Flash Down Booties by WM for cold temps. I’ve been fine wearing them in my 16oz 20F zpack quilt down to 20F. I do have a coolmax liner sock on. In the morning, I loosen the straps...

In GEAR » Cold Feet Sleepers - Solution Debate
December 05, 6:00pm

Re: Equipment to breath warm air at night.
I carry some type of small pack towel with me at all times. It’s usually on the back of my backpack soaking up back sweat. But at night (below 30F) I just plop it over my face. I do wear a hat an...

In GEAR » Equipment to breath warm air at night.
December 05, 5:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Barry P

Barry P has posted no reviews.