BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 121 - 130 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightweight Event
from our OR coverage, the Montane Spektr: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm2010_day_2_new_interesting_gear.html

In GEAR » Lightweight Event
November 01, 2:39pm

Re: 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch thick Air Mat?
For about a quarter-ounce you can get an extra inch of comfort?! Go for it, man! I do find a thicker pad more comfortable. The "secret" to not rolling off air mattresses is in not over...

In GEAR » 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch thick Air Mat?
October 29, 3:56pm

Re: Smartwool boxer briefs
I haven't worn the Smartwool boxer briefs, but have used them from Icebreaker & Minus33 quite a lot. In fact, I've found the things so comfortable I wear them daily as often as possible...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ex-Officio Give-N-Go Briefs Review
October 29, 3:53pm

Re: Re: coleman propane vs white gas
There are situations in which white gas might make more sense or be quite practical. I've camped plenty in 0*F and colder temps, but never needed to cook in my tent. Regarding "once you...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Effect of Cold on Gas Canisters
October 29, 3:44pm

Re: WM Ultralite or Summerlite
I use my Summerlite for most 3-seasonish trips with a warm pad at or near the bag rating. It's usually pretty good. However, there are times in early spring or later fall when it's definite...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag
October 29, 2:15pm

Re: Stink-free Synthetics?
I've been wearing "odor-resistant" synthetics since the mid 80s, and have yet to find any that really keep odor resistant. Some are a bit better than others, but nothing touches wool....

In GEAR » Stink-free Synthetics?
October 29, 11:32am

Re: value of aluminum layer
We do know the break-down of R-value on the Neo... The reflective layer adds 0.5 to the R-rating. Additionally, the upcoming Neo Trekker just has the baffles, R-value of 2.0. The Neo R-2.5 has t...

In GEAR » Gang up on Cascade Designs??
October 29, 10:59am

Re: Fast and Light Daypack
From Integral Designs Fast & Light collection: http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=770&CFID=2282230&CFTOKEN=9118469 silcoat backpack, 25L, 4.5oz

In GEAR » Fast and Light Daypack
October 28, 1:26pm

Re: Re: Pre-filters ?
You CAN field backflush, but I've found that the best way is to rig a second hose w/quick connect &, basically, decided it's instead easier to just run the prefilter. I forget exactly h...

In GEAR » Sawyer Gravity Filter
October 26, 1:32pm

Re: need stove advice
Mark, don't mess around with smaller pots. You'll just get frustrated, and frankly in most of the pots I've played with there's less than an ounce difference between 0.5 L size. Go ...

In GEAR » need stove advice
October 26, 11:33am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.