BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1191 - 1200 of 1561 | Page: 1 ...111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ...157

Forum » Thread

Re: Renewing DWR coating - argh!?
Sven - Nikwax is a wax based DWR and doesn't require heat setting. McNett is a fluorocarbon based DWR and requires medium heat setting for about 45 minutes to coat the fibers. They work equ...

In GEAR » Renewing DWR coating - argh!?
September 20, 10:52am

Re: Vapour-Rise and DriClime warmth
EJ - I have a DriClime that I use for spring skiing. Warmth wise it is equivalent to a light windshirt with a Polartec 100 under it for insulation. As you pointed out, the main issue for backpackin...

In GEAR » The best clothing combinations for backpacking or hiking?
September 13, 7:26pm

Re: R1?
Andrew - They are called pants but they are really tights. This material is not suited to the abrasion that pants must handle. I have a 5 year old pair of the Patagonia R1 pants (tights). They are ...

In GEAR » Pants for Fall/Winter?
September 13, 7:51am

Re: Re: Re: R1, just couldn't justify it yet
Roger - Yes. All of your skin, except for your head and neck have blood vessels that constrict when you are cold and dilate when you are warm to regulate your body temperature. In order to not vary...

September 12, 11:32am

Re: thanks, Smartwool Shadow
EJ - My size L is ~ 12.5 ounces and is very good looking. One the other hand, the hood and chin area are poorly cut and baggy for my XL sized head. It is about .045" loft versus .080" for...

September 12, 11:09am

Re: R1, just couldn't justify it yet
Brett - For the widest backpacking thermal comfort regulation, in cool to cold weather, a form fitting hoody base layer and windshirt is optimal. For a fleece based option, only a Power Dry or Powe...

September 12, 9:38am

Re: where to find Shadow Hoody
The last time I checked, 8/27/07, you could still have a Smartwool dealer order the now discontinued male version Smartwool hoody from the US Smartwool wholesale warehouse. The only color combinati...

September 12, 9:27am

Re: power stretch and wind pro with Hardface
EJ - The most common Power Stretch hard-face option is #7767 (60% polyester, 30% nylon, and 10% Lycra) versus the most common soft-face option # 7622 (94% Polyester & 6% Lycra). I only use the ...

September 11, 9:49pm

Re: weights, what you use Ibex Shak and Smartwool for, Supplex pants
EJ - I have taken a number of multi-month expeditions. I characterize the clothing I choose for them as expedition wear. Most of my trips are in more benign environments. After a hearing a few, ...

September 11, 12:23am

Re: R1 hoody, Cloudveil Hoody and Ragged Mountain Hoody
EJ - My guess is that the Cloudveil and Ragged Mountain are approximately equivalent garments. I would have to see a Couldveil to be sure. My only issue with the Ragged Mountain is that they didn&#...

September 10, 8:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm