Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1191 - 1200 of 1657 | Page: 1 ...111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Titanium Esbit Wing Stove windscreen? Titanium Caldera Cone.
Jason, 500 ml of 45F water in 35F ambient air and light wind will reliably boil in my Caldera for the Snow Peak 700 ml. I use about 2/3 of an Esbit (7.5 min.) or 20 ml (9 min.) of alcohol in the...

In GEAR » FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing Stove
March 10, 9:17am

Re: Re: chart
Ian, I was serious in that the soft shell fabric used in the Ready Mix, pants, etc. looks like formal wear. I wouldn't use this fabric for backpacking (too much weight and too slow drying af...

In GEAR » Encapsulated fibers = low maintenance UL functionality?
March 10, 8:26am

Re: Encapsulated fibers = low maintenance UL functionality?
Ian, You asked a complicated question.

In GEAR » Encapsulated fibers = low maintenance UL functionality?
March 09, 9:53pm

Re: Satellite Telephones
Douglas, Iridium is the only viable satellite network at this time. The Globalstar Gen I satellites have three antenna systems on them. The phone uplink antenna systems and the ground station...

In GEAR » Satellite Telephones
March 09, 7:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Clo Values
John, A simple extrapolation, using the 550 and 800 fill power values I provided, will give you all of the other fill powers you want values for.

In GEAR » Primaloft improves - press release
March 06, 5:55pm

Re: thanks
Michael, There is no good single source for the comparative clo/oz of various types of down that I am aware of. I have distilled secondary research from a very large number of scientific papers ...

March 05, 11:23pm

Re: Clo Values
Ross, As an UL backpacker, I assume that the primary clo metric you are interested in is clo/oz: -The now discontinued Polarguard Delta is .68 clo/oz. -Standard down (550 fill power) is .70 cl...

March 05, 9:05pm

Re: Korkers Torrent
John, Thanks for the feed back. I thought with the packrafting interest on this site, there would be more volunteer testers for dual mode shoes than just you and me. I am thankful that I have at...

In Fishing » Korkers Torrent
February 28, 10:09pm

Down - One right answer and one wrong answer
Derek - You said, "I don’t have figures but my guess is that very light down 800FP will on average collapse more under imperfect conditions than heavier stiffer? 500FP". The higher the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Climashield quilt thickness vs temperature
February 28, 3:22pm

Re: Re: Hiking/wet wading shoe tests
I placed one quart of water, in a Zip-loc, and then inserted it into the avg size 11 shoe to test the sole friction on a highly polished sheet of HDPE. For the wet test I floated the shoe in a tub ...

In Fishing » Korkers Torrent
February 28, 1:47am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm