BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1191 - 1200 of 1577 | Page: 1 ...111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Moisture absorption in textiles
Tom – You need to stop spending so much time indoors thinking. Go for a walk; read Rogers reply; go for a walk; read this reply; go for a walk; and then post "Forget I asked that". You ...

In GEAR » Moisture absorption in textiles
October 01, 3:23pm

Re: Found the successor - the Keen Blackcomb boot; Proper sizing
EJ - The Blackcomb looks like a nice winter boot. Unlike the Growler, it doesn't seem to have the heel engineered for a snow shoe strap nor does it have a metal ring for easily un-attaching a f...

In GEAR » Good light late fall/winter hiking boot - Keen Growler or TNF Storm Peak? Where to find Growler?
October 01, 2:55pm

Re: Good light late fall/winter hiking boot - Keen Growler or TNF Storm Peak? Where to find Growler?
EJ - I bought my Keen Growlers at Zappos two years ago. They are true to size, warm, dry, and extremely comfortable. I order one size up for winter boots so that I can wear thick socks for addition...

In GEAR » Good light late fall/winter hiking boot - Keen Growler or TNF Storm Peak? Where to find Growler?
October 01, 11:49am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Warmth, weight and loft
Harold-I multiplied by 2.5 because the product is the weight in oz. Look up the weight of a 1" thick yd2 piece of Primaloft to see the consistency in this green column. You will find that it w...

In GEAR » What's the benefit of synthetic?
September 26, 11:04pm

Re: Re: Warmth, weight and loft
Inaki - Yes the variation is linear with thickness. If you double the thickness, the resistance is doubled and conductivity (K) is reduced to 1/2.

September 26, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Warmth, weight and loft
Michael - The article you referred to was entitled, "Winter Backpacking Comfort: Lightweight Gear and Techniques for Shelter, Clothing, and Sleep Systems" It said in part, ..."The...

September 26, 6:32pm

Re: Re: Warmth, weight and loft
Harold & Inaki – If you opt for 800 fill down baffles filled for optimal thermal density, they will out-perform (>oz/inch/yd2-green, >clo/in/yd2-red, >clo/oz/yd2-blue) the best synth...

September 26, 5:59pm

Re: Loft/insulation degradation
Daniel & Michael - Primaloft One is one of the worst synthetics for loosing loft / insulation value through stuffing and washing but, all synthetics exhibit that characteristic to various degre...

September 25, 3:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: equal insulation - down loft vs synthetic loft
Harold - All measurements were in F and the ambient room temperature was 71.7F (thermastat was set to 70F). The test area was free from major radiant heat sources (windows & heating vents). The...

September 25, 3:08pm

Re: Re: equal insulation - down loft vs synthetic loft
Harold - Set the thermostat in your house to 70F. Set a heating pad to its highest setting. Use your own jackets or borrow some that are close to what Acye tested. Put the jacket over the heating p...

September 25, 9:05am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm