Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1181 - 1190 of 1668 | Page: 1 ...110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ...167

Forum » Thread

Re: hmmm...
Matthew, Noseeum should work. More commonly, very thin bi-directional polyester lining (similar to the Marmot Dri-clime liner) is used.

In Make Your Own Gear » eVENT fabric for sale
April 20, 11:30am

Rainshield eVENT Defects
Matthew and RS eVENT purchasers, I looked closely at the first few yards of the ten yards of eVENT fabric that I purchased. I found at least a half dozen major membrane defects. This non magnifi...

April 18, 7:54pm

Re: hmmm
Matthew, If it is a defect in the membrane, you can clean the area with alcohol and use a dab of McNett Seam Grip Sealer to repair it. I have 10 yards of this material. I will look at it to s...

April 18, 6:13pm

Re: Re: clo/kg
Chris, First, the clo value of the base bag was 4.5, not 4.4. Second, the sleeping bag's clo/kg calculation uses the total sleeping bag weight, not just the down weight. Bag1: Down kg = ....

In GEAR » Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
April 18, 11:04am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: partial compression of down with no loss of insulation
Mr Devils Advocate aka Chris, You said, "Presumably this argument is flawed. Can anyone spot the error?" The first error is the premise "…assuming that the CLO of the empty slee...

In GEAR » Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
April 17, 1:08am

Re: Re: Re: partial compression of down with no loss of insulation
Chris, Your best fit calculation is a linear regression for only a segment of the 800 fill curve. The complete 800 fill curve's best fit is a multiple order polynomial regression that I did ...

April 16, 7:59pm

Re: Bivy top, Yes - Bivy bottom, No
This is a photo I took of the 3rd layer of eVENT at 60 x. It looks very similar to the 3rd layer of Gore-Tex. A bivy top or externally suspended tent should be fine with 2 layers because there shou...

April 16, 9:31am

Waterproof Custom Maps?
I used an HP Ink Jet printer and HP print cartridges to print topo maps on both sides of National Geographic Adventure paper. When they got wet, the ink bled through the paper. Is there any sour...

In GEAR » Waterproof Custom Maps?
April 12, 4:16pm

Re: Re: Is humidity/fog enough to completely collapse down loft?
Most of the moisture mitigation methods I mentioned are also applicable to synthetics. Most synthetics (Primaloft excepted) used in sleeping bags and quilts are not warm when wet. They typically gi...

In GEAR » Is humidity/fog enough to completely collapse down loft?
April 09, 9:04am

Re: Re: Re: Duck Down, Chicken/Turkey Feathers was ..........
James, In your Amazon book review of Strictly Speaking by Reid Buckley, you said "He gives you the good advice for a speaker not to make unneeded personal attacks." Aside from your ton...

April 09, 12:23am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm