Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1181 - 1190 of 1657 | Page: 1 ...110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: partial compression of down with no loss of insulation
Tom, You did an excellent job of correctly describing the offsetting roles of conduction, convection, and radiation as down is compressed. Yes, the synthetics are tested to find their optimal...

In GEAR » Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
April 08, 3:16pm

Re: insulation of partially compressed down
Derek, If your Parmo raincoat doesn’t compress your Gilnet jacket such that the density increases more than 2.5 X, you should be fine. You can probably find hundreds, if not thousands, of ...

In GEAR » Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
April 08, 2:51pm

Re: partial compression of down with no loss of insulation
Derek, Yes I will supply two credible public scientific references and an excerpt from a proprietary study summarizing the relationship between down compression density versus insulation value. ...

April 08, 11:41am

Re: Re: Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
Ronald, Unlike down, each synthetic insulation type, including Primaloft, is manufactured at its optimal thermal arial density. Any significant compression will result in a decrease in insulatio...

April 08, 9:45am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
John, The answer to your question is "No". You can increase the aerial density of 800 fill down about 2.5x before it is becomes less thermally efficient than fully lofted down. A compr...

April 05, 8:03pm

Re: Re: Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
David, I am sure that you will be pleased with your WM bag. It is an excellent product as is the MB SS. Others considering MB SS bags will be well served if they attempt to understand some aspec...

April 05, 2:05pm

Re: Caldera Melt Down
Frank, The aluminum Caldera is not designed to use wood. I assume you had problems using a wood fire in the aluminum Caldera and not the titanium Caldera. Is this correct?

In Editor's Roundtable » Reducing Winter Pack Weight: Wood Fire Cooking in the Snow
March 27, 8:59pm

Proper seam sealing for Big Agnes Pumphouse Inflation Bag repair
The BPL write up on this inflation bag says that it is made of silicone coated Cordura ripstop nylon. Yet there is seam tape on the internal seams. This leads me to believe that the inside must be ...

In GEAR » Proper seam sealing for Big Agnes Pumphouse Inflation Bag repair
March 18, 6:12pm

Schoeller Nanosphere
Joshua, Roger Caffin is our resident expert for these types of questions. He should be the first one solicited for this type of information and I yield to his opinion if we differ. I only hav...

In GEAR » Encapsulated fibers = low maintenance UL functionality?
March 12, 10:45am

Re: Grand Canyon Packrafting
An excellent piece of journalism... Congratulations Ryan and Roman! The hair on the back of my neck was standing on end and I started to sweat as I read about this adventure.

In Editor's Roundtable » Grand Canyon Packrafting
March 12, 8:47am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm