Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1121 - 1130 of 2746 | Page: 1 ...104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ...275

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: dont reinvent the wheel
Stuart; I was proposing refilling a custom- made container with a varying propane-butane mix based on seasonal climate (higher propane fractions for winter camping). But that changes the fill weig...

In GEAR » Smaller fuel canisters?
July 28, 7:10am

What are the most useful inexpensive items you carry?
Chopsticks saved from a Chinese restaurant. Trash-compactor bag (raincoat, mini ground tarp, and, hey, even a trash bag). A square of wax paper as a fire starter. Likewise, small squares o...

In GEAR » What are the most useful inexpensive items you carry?
July 28, 12:01am

Smart wool
We've been hiking and backpacking with our kids (age 8 and 13 now) for years. Smartwool brand in kids sizes have been the standard for us - partly for the padding, more so for the warmth if th...

In GEAR » Socks for kids
July 27, 11:01pm

Re: How do you pack your fuel?
This speaks to my day job - cleaning up petroleum-contaminated soils and groundwater. For the ULer, there's no concern in my mind. Butane and propane are highly, highly volatile. If anythi...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you pack your fuel?
July 27, 10:25pm

PIF - Free National Parks Pass for August 2013
Edited: It's going out to Craig. Free. Pay it forward (be nice to someone else, someday, somehow). I've got a Annual Pass to USA National Parks (Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Rainier, Yell...

In Gear Swap » PIF - Free National Parks Pass for August 2013
July 27, 10:11pm

Re: Guide guns adequacy??
I don't hang with polar bears and I'm usually promoting spray and noise for grizzlies and just 'tude for black bears, but when I've carried as back-up for grizzlies, a 12-guage auto...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiker mauled by polar bear during trip through park in Labrador
July 27, 7:55pm

Re: Unusual and expensive
+1 on the PLB, Steven and Drusilla. I haven't had to hit the button yet. But jumping from a sinking ship over very cold water to a remote beach and having a PLB in my PFD provided HUGE peace ...

In GEAR » Unusual (and expensive) item that you consider worth it
July 26, 9:46pm

Re: Smaller fuel canisters?
To introduce another concept to the discussion: Small canisters become much more viable when they are refillable. I have a propane plumbing torch that is refillable from a standard 16-ounce pro...

In GEAR » Smaller fuel canisters?
July 26, 9:40pm

Rings and things
I'd never worn a ring before getting sized prior to our wedding. And I picked a size that was, actually, too large on me. While on our honeymoon in Italy and swimming in the Med, I was doing ...

In GEAR » Gear lost while backpacking.
July 26, 8:00pm

Nice pics
Gorgeous pictures. I'm glad you've gotten to check out so many places. That's a really scrawny deer - I'm thinking CWD. Did it smell bad? (Behavioral changes include decrease...

In Post-Trip Reports » Westward
July 25, 12:49pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.