Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1121 - 1130 of 2630 | Page: 1 ...104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ...263

Forum » Thread

Fishing without a stick. Or line. Or bait.
Here's my 8-year-old grabbing hooligan (herring-sized anadromous fish) out of the Kenai River earlier this month. In about 20 minutes, she'd gotten 25 of them.

In Fishing » Fishing with a stick
June 29, 1:22pm

Re: Double wide sleeping pad?
I've got some heavy, self-inflating pads (for camping and boating) with Velcro on the edges. About three strips 4 inches long each. It works well. Maybe you could add that to your pads with fab...

In GEAR » Double wide sleeping pad?
June 29, 2:04am

Re: Re: Staying fit for long hikes
Jake, this is a bit simplified, but I think: The miles I've walked in my life allow me to complete the hike. The miles I've walked in the last month allow me to complete the hike with...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Staying fit for long hikes
June 28, 7:38pm

Re: Re: Staying fit for long hikes
>" the only way to train for hiking 20+ miles a day is to actually hike 20+ miles a day. " +1 But I'd modify that in that consistent training (4 days/week) at half the mileage ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Staying fit for long hikes
June 28, 5:23pm

Re: Re: wow!
To echo BG's comment: I just scare black bears away. In California many times. I'd expect it to be even easier in the Carolinas, where there is more black bear hunting and poaching. I ha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help me go Solo!
June 28, 4:28pm

Re: Squeeze tube
Colin: Nice find! They also have a 3 ml "dispenser tube" and a matching filling syringe. Since the dermatologist moved out of my wife's medical office my source of many, tiny, profe...

In GEAR » How to use a straw to store squeezable semi-liquids?
June 28, 4:19pm

Dry bags instead of Ziploc or stuff sacks
My experience matches Charles'. A pristine, freezer-weight, name-brand Ziplock will keep out the water and "vacuum pack" in the way your photo demonstrates. However, things don'...

In GEAR » Ziploc instead of stuff sack
June 28, 4:08pm

Re: How to use a straw to store squeezable semi-liquids?
Those flip-top polyethylene containers are handy and cheap but are a lot bigger than the soda straw option (1.8 x 0.6 inches) Also, while I'd trust them with semi-solids like stick deodorant o...

June 28, 1:31pm

If size matters.
I bought some flowers recently and they had large, clear "straws" around the stems to prevent them from dropping. About twice the diameter of normal straws, they could be used for larger...

June 28, 12:53pm

Re: When is an open fire not "open"?
I see your point and suspect you would be very careful about location and use. But I can also see the agency's side - they can't regulate stupidity, only equipment. Hence an easy-to-defin...

In GEAR » When is an open fire not "open"?
June 28, 11:59am

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.