Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1121 - 1130 of 3093 | Page: 1 ...104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ...310

Forum » Thread

Sampling Bias
It's not like you asked the average, high-functioning adult on the street if they had a alcoholic drink they REALLY liked. It is more like you asked at a bar, "What's your favorite dr...

In GEAR » GEAR FETISHES ;o)
November 22, 11:45pm

Re: GEAR FETISHES ;o)
I'm not at Duane or Hiking Jim's level of stove fetish, but I do have my weaknesses. A new hand-held light or headlamp that is better, brighter, or longer lasting is a flame and I am the m...

In GEAR » GEAR FETISHES ;o)
November 22, 10:08pm

Vertical effects. In metric and in miles.
Robin: +1 on tracking the vertical. On steeper trails, yes, it is all about the vertical. Day hiking, I figure vertical x 10 = equivalent horizontal. i.e. 2 km trail miles to the ridge 300m abov...

In Pre-Trip Planning » What are your daily hiking mileage goals?
November 22, 8:36am

Re: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
Color me surprised too. That it was codified to a number, specifically one. Usually it is something vague like "items of de minimis value" although I assumed it was simply "not all...

In GEAR » "Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing
November 21, 11:53pm

Re: WTB: Empty Beer Cans
Why not just pick them out of the recycling bins on the sidewalk at 5 am Tuesday morning? And, would soda cans work, or jsut beer cans? If the later, I want to know what you're doing.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Empty Beer Cans
November 21, 11:40pm

Re: Re: Best Type of Stove for Vehicle Storage?
>"Car b que" Manifold Destiny.

In GEAR » Best Type of Stove for Vehicle Storage?
November 21, 7:18pm

Re: spark plugs and coolers
If it has an alternator and not a magneto or generator, it must have a battery. And the alternator has some output measured in amps. Intermittent use of a heater element that pulls less than that...

In Other Activities » sidecar camping
November 21, 6:14pm

Re: Best Type of Stove for Vehicle Storage?
I'd store propane in a car before white gas - the steel walls are thicker and it is easier to use than white gas. The trunk of a car doesn't get as hot as the passenger compartment (which ...

In GEAR » Best Type of Stove for Vehicle Storage?
November 21, 5:54pm

Re: ural=old school
Wow. So magneto-fired spark plugs? I know people up here in Alaska who fly in planes like that - no alternator, generator or battery. Hand-prop the engine, any comm or nav is handheld and batter...

In Other Activities » sidecar camping
November 21, 12:34pm

Solitude
+1 on everyone's thoughts on route-finding. I'd summarize my experience as: Night hiking is great on trails I've been on before. Or that are absolutely can't-miss (e.g. North R...

In Philosophy & Technique » Winter backpacking: Hike nights, sleep days?
November 21, 11:50am

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.