Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1121 - 1130 of 2962 | Page: 1 ...104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ...297

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Awesome tent repair!!!!
Our Spanish-national exchange student reports that duct tape is sold as "American Tape" in Spain. I got a laugh out of that.

In Make Your Own Gear » Awesome tent repair!!!! Check it out
October 20, 12:55am

Re: Re: Re: In Defense of the Venerable Sierra Cup
>"Freaking heavy, lol." Yeah, but the contents are so multi-purpose: Talks, eats, poops, runs around. Nothing else in your pack does so much.

In GEAR » In Defense of the Venerable Sierra Cup
October 18, 9:28pm

Re: Re: Fire starters
Jerry: I agree wax has more BTUs/pound (kJs/mole; troyouncemass-furlongs^2-fortnight^(-2); whatever) than cardboard. Your egg-carton based solution is a wonderful low-price, disposable mini-co...

In GEAR » Your best gear hack/mod/invention/alternate use/improvisation?
October 18, 7:10pm

Re: Re: Fire starters
>"David, up there in Alaska, what do you use for starting a whale oil lamp?" Bob: You rub two Eskimos together. Very quickly. Seriously, I know they had driftwood. I assume t...

October 18, 7:00pm

Self-light charcoal
Short answer: don't. While a self-lighting charcoal briquet initially heated water faster than a wax burner, it was due to the burning off of volatile petroleum chemicals. A one-minute inte...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wax burners
October 18, 6:39pm

Wax burners
Since I'm heading out the Aleutian Islands again and there is only jet service to Adak (TSA inspections, no liquid or gaseous fuels), I fiddled with some solid fuel options. Yeah, I know Esbit...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wax burners
October 18, 6:30pm

Fire starters
"I make firestarters with wax. Take one egg's worth of an egg carton, . . . blah, blah, blah" Jerry: I like that idea a lot as a disposable mini-cooker. But for simply fire start...

October 18, 5:50pm

Wax burners
Jerry and Jim: I did take photos and recorded boil times and weights on my girl-scout-style spiraled-cardboard wax burner. My fuel efficiency wasn't as good as in that 2008 posting, (I got ...

October 18, 5:38pm

Re: Wine Bladders
>"For you guys that use the wine bladders without the box - how do you carry/hang or otherwise use them?" Find the lightest stuff sack you can that is slightly smaller in diameter (...

October 18, 12:49pm

Re: In Defense of the Venerable Sierra Cup
Jim, I haven't used my Sierra cups for 25 years now. I'll grant them the advantages you state but the only time I'd use one now is if I also wanted a mini cooking pot. Otherwise, ...

In GEAR » In Defense of the Venerable Sierra Cup
October 18, 12:33pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.