Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

spelt with a t (spelt) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale SW/C PA
About Me Things I do: hike, camp, packraft, dive, XC ski

Things I'd like to do: easy rock climbing and canyoneering, more winter camping, more off-trail trips, and learn to telemark ski (it just looks so swooshy and cool). also, packraft MOAR.

Things I don't do: run, unless a rugby ball is in the vicinity. bike, unless it's casual, commuting, low-speed, or otherwise not hardcore.
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://equilibriumsands.wordpress.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by spelt with a t

Showing 1111 - 1120 of 1395 | Page: 1 ...103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ...140

Forum » Thread

Re: muddy
Yes, I was assuming a person would avoid snow with visible disturbance or dirt visible to the naked eye.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Not necessary to boil meltwater
October 14, 2:59pm

Not necessary to boil meltwater
Surface water can be contaminated with pathogens both directly and via runoff. However, waterborne pathogens don't go with water when it evaporates. Water fresh from the sky should in theory ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Not necessary to boil meltwater
October 14, 2:23pm

Happy Friday
The photograph at the top of this post shows a cross section of the leaf of marram grass Ammophila arenaria. Marram grass survives in the arid environment of a sand dune by rolling up its leaves...

In Chaff » Happy Friday
October 14, 8:20am

layers and such
>>note that if yr just hiking you can just use a windshirt and light fleece as a softshell analog .... That's pretty much the conclusion I came to, looking at the weights, insulation, ...

In Winter Hiking » Confusion on what exactly constitutes a softshell
October 13, 9:48pm

superb
Intense and descriptive writing. Great report!

In Post-Trip Reports » Rim To Rim - An Exploration
October 13, 4:33pm

article organization
I'd like to suggest that the articles be sortable by date and author and not just by category. I assume the empty front page is temporary.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New BPL Home Page, Suggestion for Change
October 13, 4:10pm

enlightening
Knowing the area, then, there will definitely be days around and above freezing, which points towards the hardshell. Thanks, this has been very instructive.

October 13, 3:20pm

so...
...if my current hardshell claims 10,000mm/10,000g/m2, it's equally or more bombproof than any of those. Or the label is wildly optimistic. My question then would be if switching to an insula...

October 13, 2:00pm

Re: Re: better examples
Sorry. The linked jackets are powershield.

October 13, 1:39pm

layers and weight
ack messed up an edit. Original post was--are the jackets here accurately called softshells. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_i...

October 13, 1:16pm

All Reader Reviews by spelt with a t

spelt with a t has posted no reviews.