Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 11081 - 11090 of 12721 | Page: 1 ...1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 ...1273

Forum » Thread

Re: Shasta
Over the years, I had led maybe 100 climbers up Shasta, so I can say that it is not shocking to have one person react this way. Sometimes it is a strange mixture of altitude, dehydration, over-fati...

In Post-Trip Reports » Shasta
June 29, 7:36pm

Re: boil water for 5 minutes, or 0 minutes?
The answer depends on what kinds of microorganisms you want to kill. (There is stuff growing in the virtually-boiling geysers at Yellowstone.) When I am high in the mountains, about the only org...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » boil water for 5 minutes, or 0 minutes?
June 29, 7:28pm

Re: thank you so much!
Currently, my favorite is Quinoa. I cook it, then dehydrate it overnight. What comes out I call "Instant Quinoa." In camp, it rehydrates easily and mixes with other things just like rice....

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » couscous for dinner
June 29, 3:48pm

Re: so nothing concrete about long term effects?
Back in the days when I used Iodine crystals routinely, there was some kind of warning that I had read where Iodine treatment of water was not for long term purposes, but there was never any guidan...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Iodine vs ClO2 for long term use (thru-hike)
June 29, 3:38pm

Re: Re: Published vs Actual Gear Weights?
If a down product (sleeping bag or jacket) is stored in humid air, it tends to increase its weight slightly. The excess weight is water. If it is stored in dry air, it tends to be closer to the man...

In GEAR » Published vs Actual Gear Weights?
June 29, 11:08am

Re: Re: Yosemite? Cool is cool.
Two nights ago I was camped there at 9400 feet elevation. During the day, the air temperature was about 65 F and at dawn it was about 45 F. That is kind of warm for the high country in Yosemite. Bu...

In Post-Trip Reports » Yosemite?
June 28, 9:52pm

Re: Iodine vs ClO2 for long term use (thru-hike)
I used to use Iodine for water treatment about 25 years ago, but I seldom used Iodine pills. Back then, it was easier to get Iodine crystals, and we used a saturated solution of Iodine to measure i...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Iodine vs ClO2 for long term use (thru-hike)
June 28, 9:45pm

Re: Carrying Deet with a Bearvault
I've seen black bear claw holes in a plastic DEET bottle, so they are curious about it up until the point that they lick it. --B.G.--

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Carrying Deet with a Bearvault
June 28, 4:44pm

Re: fibraplex
"I think Benjamin was noting, as I might, that fibraplex poles are meant to be bent." I thought that there were two forms of Fibraplex poles, but I could be wrong. The original form wa...

In Gear Deals » delays with fibraplex
June 28, 2:56pm

Re: Reusing leftover Esbit
"OK, Bob, Ben-Gay goes into my entertainment emergency kit from now on." Don't let NPS rangers catch you doing that. The other bear entertainment stuff is Oil of Anise. A cook w...

In GEAR » Esbit Questions
June 28, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.