Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 11081 - 11090 of 12433 | Page: 1 ...1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 ...1244

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: $8 Billion to Upgrade GPS
Eugene, most of the things that govern the time to first fix (TTFF) are within the receiver, not in the space segment. --B.G.--

In Chaff » $8 Billion to Upgrade GPS
May 26, 11:32pm

Re: lucky!
"you guys are lucky, here in california all we can get is 151 proof everclear..." Jesse, that is why we make the drive to Reno once in a while, to stock up. --B.G.--

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Everclear 190 Proof
May 26, 10:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
"Bottom line: you need compass AND map to navigate." ...and you need the skills to put them together. The modern alternative is GPS. Unfortunately, too many backcountry travelers ge...

In Editor's Roundtable » Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
May 26, 10:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reflective emergency bivies
"A bit of creative imagination there imho. In contact with the ground? One degree from the space blanket, if lucky." Roger, I think they have their minds made up differently. That s...

In GEAR » reflective coating in sleeping bags
May 26, 10:10pm

Re: Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
I agree with Chris, and I have used dozens of different compasses in my life. I think navigating by compass in the Scottish Highlands in thick cloud would be a great challenge (I think that is what...

In Editor's Roundtable » Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
May 26, 4:30pm

Re: $8 Billion to Upgrade GPS
Since I was working in that industry, I had my own Magellan GPS receiver in 1995. Then I upgraded to a Garmin in 1997, and it still works fine to this day. It didn't even take external map data...

In Chaff » $8 Billion to Upgrade GPS
May 26, 1:04am

Re: Denali response
One ranger said, "When you start hiking in the tundra, find the first puddle and jump in, because your feet are going to get wet anyway." --B.G.--

In Gear Lists » Denali Alaska June
May 25, 11:34pm

Re: dehydrating and calorie counting
Dehydration should theoretically have no effect on calories. If you started with 1000 calories of any wet food, then dehydrate it, all you have lost is the water, so you still have 1000 calories of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » dehydrating and calorie counting
May 25, 11:27pm

Re: More info
I always tell a beginner to buy a sleeping bag that is 10 degrees F better than the weather they think they will run into. So, if you thought that you would see +20 F weather, buy a +10 F bag. L...

In GEAR » Newbie: How To Choose A Sleeping Bag?
May 25, 8:49pm

Re: Help with a weekends meal plan
One more thing. When you are hiking along the trail at a steady pace, it can be awkward to really stop, take off your pack, fish out some food snack, put the pack back on, and then continue. I a...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Help with a weekends meal plan
May 25, 7:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.