BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 11081 - 11090 of 11283 | Page: 1 ...1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 ...1129

Forum » Thread

shoes
Shoes? It depends. If the stream bottom looks smooth enough, and if I have only the single pair of boots or shoes, then the pair is stored in the backpack during crossing. If the stream botto...

In Winter Hiking » Winter stream crossings?
January 31, 3:25pm

distance
When trekking in Nepal, most of the trekkers would ask of our Sherpa guides, "How many miles is it to Namche?" The Sherpa guides never had a clear response, because they don't deal in...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do you calculate mileage?
January 31, 3:11pm

reply for Justin
Tell your friends that you are going to dump it all on eBay unless they want it first, and offer them killer deals to take it. --B.G.--

In GEAR » Who stocks enough gear for others?
January 31, 2:09pm

Carson Pass
Uhhh, yes, sort of. Kirkwood is the ski area several miles west of the pass. The Red Lake Turnoff is a couple of miles east of the pass. I used to lead beginner snow camping trips there once per y...

In Winter Hiking » hike in snow camping spots in Northern California
January 31, 2:01pm

water quality
I did my first trek to Everest base camp almost thirty years ago, and there was a Sherpa cook with assistants who supposedly took care of all water boiling, cooking, and cleanup. The nine trekkers ...

In GEAR » Steripen and thread contamination
January 31, 1:56pm

REI stores
Many of us live near REI stores. I agree that REI is not perfect, but at least it is a known quantity. Many REI stores have a "scratch and dent sale." They sell returned gear, scratched g...

January 31, 1:46pm

spinnaker fabric
"Please pardon this unintended pun but I have "heard" that unless Spinnaker fabric is pitched and kept really taut it tends to be quite noisy. This could be a problem with having a g...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Tent Material
January 31, 1:36pm

eBay
I never thought much of eBay until one time I got some killer deals on a travel size hair dryer, an iron, and some clothing. :-) --B.G.--

January 31, 1:29pm

eggs
It is for these kinds of spoilage reasons why I never carry fresh eggs except in winter. In summer, I carry dried egg powder of one form or another. It's much safer. It took me a season or two ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Optimal way to carry many eggs on long hike?
January 31, 1:27pm

California standards
In California, we have two completely different standards for distance on a wilderness trail. One is called "park service miles" and the other is called "forest service miles." ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do you calculate mileage?
January 31, 1:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.