BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 11021 - 11030 of 11438 | Page: 1 ...1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 ...1144

Forum » Thread

reply to Robert
"April is also a good time for the Rancheria Falls trip, as we did last year." That is an excellent time and place to field test your rain gear. --B.G.--

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Bay area BPL April
February 19, 1:05pm

Fibraplex
I second the motion for Fiberplex. I've had a set for a few years now without any problem. Easily, they weigh half of whatever other poles you have. Not cheap. --B.G.--

In GEAR » Which carbon poles for a firstlight tent?
February 19, 12:17pm

snow camping
Yosemite Valley is a particularly bad place to go, since there is no "backcountry". You can pay money and stay in a car campground there. There are many good places starting from Badger P...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First Full Snow Trip
February 19, 11:57am

reply to E J
I believe that Coleman Xtreme stove requires a Powermax fuel cartridge, which is a sole source item. No thank you. Not at all. --B.G.--

In GEAR » Lightest winter stove base material
February 19, 12:30am

reply to Robert
White gas can be a problem if you need to travel by airliner. However, for most trips where you get to the trailhead by auto, white gas has never been a problem for me. Once on a high altitude e...

February 19, 12:11am

foamboard?
You might possibly try foamboard covered in three layers of aluminum foil. There is no danger with white gas stoves if you know what you're doing. A loud stove is a multipurpose thing. It do...

February 18, 11:12pm

Lasix
If you have Lasix and consider going to very high altitude, just remember Beck Weathers (Everest '96). --B.G.--

In GEAR » Powered glacier glasses
February 18, 10:21pm

contacts for Kilimanjaro
I don't think that you need to do anything special for Kili. There is a little dust problem, and that is not good for contacts. There is a cold problem, but that shouldn't be too bad on con...

In GEAR » Powered glacier glasses
February 18, 7:58pm

stove bases
First of all, let me state that when I snow camp, I use an MSR-XGK stove with the standard windscreen. It isn't the lightest stove in the world, but it is very reliable and it is a blowtorch. I...

February 18, 6:34pm

cold on Kili
Assuming that you are on one of the standard routes, part of the problem will start at the high camp. To get to the summit and back down, they normally start you hiking up in the middle of the nigh...

In GEAR » Warmth of jackets
February 18, 8:28am

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.