BPL Community Profile

Scott Ashdown (waterloggedwellies) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale United Kingdom
About Me I live just north of London in the UK near to the Chiltern Hills and adjacent to open countryside. I'm within walking distance of several iron age settlements and one of the oldest walking trails in the UK. Natural springs, woodlands, water mills, windmills, old churches, castles and an abundance of wildlife are all within walking distance and are great for weekend trips.

For longer trips, well the glaciated lakes of the lake district and the mountains of Scotland and Wales beckon.

The UK is truly an amazing place!
CityLuton
StateBedfordshire
CountryEngland

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Ashdown

Showing 111 - 120 of 162 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Forum » Thread

Hey Stomach Sleepers
I rarely use the hood on my bag for the original purpose of drawing up around my face. I find it so uncomfortable to sleep like that. Rather, I use the hood to keep my pillow in place and cinch it ...

In GEAR » hey stomach sleepers
April 23, 12:25pm

Re: Re: Will I wake up, in sealed tents?
Just in relation to the above Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Here in the UK a few years ago, two firefighters collapsed from carbon monoxide posioning. Their fire engine was parked in an alley between ...

In GEAR » Will I wake up, in sealed tents?
April 23, 9:55am

Re: Foil Blanket - Sleeping
Thanks for the all replies. So, it seems that there needs to be a gap between the body and the foil to prevent heat simply being conducted through the foil instead of being reflected back. I...

In GEAR » Foil Blanket - Sleeping
April 22, 10:45pm

Foil Blanket - Sleeping
I was wondering whether anyone had ever wrapped one of those emergency foil blankets around their sleeping pad to reflect body heat back up towards the bodies core during the night. If so, what dif...

In GEAR » Foil Blanket - Sleeping
April 22, 12:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Will I wake up, in sealed tents?
I had a quick look on the net, this came up as a battery powered small oxygen alarm and monitor with lcd display to show surrounding levels. 200g. (I'm guessing that would achieve the same ends as ...

In GEAR » Will I wake up, in sealed tents?
April 20, 10:16pm

Re: Sleeplight down bags
Glen, Thanks for that reply. I chose the Sleeplight after a lot of research. Despite its high cost, I felt that it would be the bag that would best suit my needs. It hasn't arrived yet, I guess ...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear SleepLight Down Sleeping Bag
April 20, 9:41pm

Re: Re: My two cents
I just received my BPL premium member news via email. It's clear that BPL staff have picked up on recent forum discussions concerning content. This has resulted in the Editorial Calendar and it is ...

In Chaff » Print vs. Web edition
April 20, 8:40pm

Gossamer Gear SleepLight Down Sleeping Bag
The Gossamer Gear website shows that the SleepLight Down Sleeping Bag is no longer being stocked and that Gossamer Gear are currently evaluating their direction with ultra-light sleeping bags. I...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear SleepLight Down Sleeping Bag
April 20, 4:30pm

Re: Essential Gear: Print Subscription?
Anonymous. It might be better to keep the discussions together on the same thread as you indicate they are the same subject. Also, on a personal point, any comment worth making is worth putting yo...

In GEAR » Essential Gear: Print Subscription?
April 20, 1:51pm

Print v Web Edition
Hmm, I have to agree with what has been written above. I thought in the past that maybe the number of articles posted on the website had reduced. Initially, I of course looked through a lot of t...

In Chaff » Print vs. Web edition
April 20, 12:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Ashdown

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montane Featherlite
I have two of the Montane Featherlite shirts one of which I have owned now for about two years. These things pack up so small I always have one with me when I go out, whether its stuffed in a pocke...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 21, 12:04pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
Ditto to everything Douglas Frick said. This hat has offered me the best protection from the sun to date. I haven't had it long but am already impressed by the coverage it offers. Definitely will ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 15, 9:21pm

Bozeman Mountain Works Torsolite Pad
Well, I've taken my BMW Torsolite on a few backpacking trips now, in that never end search for the perfect nights sleep for the least amount of weight. It is true to say that this pad is nice and t...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 22, 3:15am

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
I bought one of these pillows with a bit scepticism. However, I have to say, it performed better than I expected. You get all the usual problems associated with air pillows in terms of getting the ...

In Miscellaneous Products
July 18, 4:38pm

Silva Type 54 Compass
Having looked for a a good compass over a long period of time, I evenutally settled for the Silva Type 54. The compass it's self is a base plate type compass so it's ideal for taking bearings direct f...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
August 17, 4:37am

Kelly Kettle
I totally agree with Ryans comments above. I have owned a Kelly Kettle for a few years now and use it in a base camp type set up. It is supremely fast in boiling water and the chimney effect makes it ...

In Stoves - Other
August 07, 10:54pm

Stratus Trailstove
The TrailStove by Stratus is a straight forward wood burning stove. I purchased one about a year ago or so and looked forward to the weight savings I would make by not having to carry fuel with me. Th...

In Stoves - Other
August 07, 10:16pm

ThermoJet MicroLite
I have purchased several types of soda can stove over the years and whilst they all have there strengths and weaknesses, this is by far the alcohol stove set up I use the most. This openjet stove, is ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 05, 12:44pm