Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 111 - 120 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Materials for sustainable hiking
The most weather-resistant bicycle panniers I have ever made were 12 oz marine duck. I stuffed my down bag directly in without a stuff sack or any other water protection while cycling in the Pacifi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Materials for sustainable hiking
October 25, 4:02pm

Re: Ripstop Nylon PP ?
Polypropylene - the coating?

In Make Your Own Gear » Ripstop Nylon PP ?
October 16, 4:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG Down Quilt
All the posts so far are good advice. I've gotta try the shop vac trick. Pay particular attention to making sure the quilt is wide and long enough. I wear a 44 long jacket, so I like a 58&q...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Down Quilt
October 16, 3:59pm

Re: Vick is far too modest
Paul, Thanx, but you help make my point: the book may have historical interest, but you can glean better designs from this forum. Many hands make light work and many minds make light. Vick

In Make Your Own Gear » Old MYOG Book
October 16, 3:36pm

Removing down is usually a waste of time
Do you know the honest fill capacity of the down in your bag? It may not be high enough to be worth the trouble. The problem with V baffles is that you may not have enough room to reach in and ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Removing down from a bag.
October 16, 3:31pm

Re: Anybody tried Boot Topper socks?
Cheapskates can do the same thing with the tops of worn-out socks.

In Philosophy & Technique » Anybody tried Boot Topper socks?
October 12, 7:23pm

Re: A case for commando: chaff-free hiking
I agree with going commando - especially on thru-hikes where everyone ends up going half nekked anyway. In more civilized settings, it can be problematic, especially if Mr. Happy gets frisky.

In Philosophy & Technique » A case for commando: chaff-free hiking
October 12, 7:21pm

Re: Suitable fabric for gaiters?
Personally, I like stretch gaiters. They don't provide walking music. Spandura is very durable Cordura Spandex, and will just about never wear out. I have about 2500 miles and a lot of tra...

In Make Your Own Gear » Suitable fabric for gaiters?
October 12, 7:09pm

Re: Old MYOG Book
Dang, this is embarrassing! Yes, I did write How to Make Your Own....blah, blah. Please consider it an interesting artifact; the designs are rather dated, I think, and materials have changed ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Old MYOG Book
October 12, 6:45pm

Re: Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?
Jim, Sure, I can get by with 4" less. I'll be out of touch all next week, but contact me through this site for arrangements. Vick

In Make Your Own Gear » Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?
September 29, 12:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm