BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 111 - 120 of 1008 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...101

Forum » Thread

Re: Fabric choice to increase durability of Frogg Toggs rain wear?
Seems like an incredible pain for little gain. The only place I seem to tear up is around the wrists which don't matter too much. After 3 years I did finally add some transparent duct tape arou...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric choice to increase durability of Frogg Toggs rain wear?
March 09, 10:11am

Re: Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider
FWIW, I fit my Windpro, windscreen and a small canister in the Walmart grease pot, which is somewhere near 1.5 L I think. I take it when I have both boys with me.

In Philmont » Stoves at Philmont
March 09, 9:55am

Re: seam failure
Thanks for the info. It's nice to know they'll hold a fair amount of snow load. I'd also guess the adhesive on the provided tape isn't superior to some of the other tapes we'...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
March 07, 5:08pm

Re: Polycryo Tarp Torture Tested to Death
Cool! Was there a reason you had done tape-to-tape on this one? I assume this is the nylon sail repair tape? I have 2 rolls on their way here. Do you have an estimate of wind speed and direction...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
March 06, 8:28pm

Re: WTT: next size up Capilene (need M bottoms / L top), boxers, and 36 pants
Bump

In Gear Swap » WTT: next size up Capilene (need M bottoms / L top), boxers, and 36 pants
March 06, 1:32pm

Re: FS/FT: New Patagonia Sunshade shirt (Men's M)
Bump

In Gear Swap » FS/FT: New Patagonia Sunshade shirt (Men's M)
March 06, 1:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: August 4 pass loop
Sorry for the delay, Michael, as I didn't subscribe to this thread. The trail was only difficult to follow at times on my side trip to Pierre Lakes Basin. That is NOT an official trail. Ther...

In Pre-Trip Planning » August 4 pass loop
March 06, 1:18pm

Re: low temp limit of remote liquid feed stove
> I'm curious about the theoretical lowest operating temperature of a remote canister liquid feed stove ( aka the msr windpro ii ) . Theoretical lower limit would be about -40C as long as...

In Editor's Roundtable » Thermal Feedback in Upright Canister Stoves
March 06, 12:46pm

Re: 603 Security and the best option
> I've heard of break ins at Elk Gardens but I don't know about other areas. I believe both the SP and Grindstone are the most secure. I know people have started from their for that reas...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Tips for Grayson Highlands with kids in early June?
March 05, 6:36am

Re: TH security on 603?
midatlantichikes.com indicates the 603 THs have a fair number of breakins. Is that what you hear? Maybe I should go ahead and park at Grindstone or the SP.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Tips for Grayson Highlands with kids in early June?
March 04, 8:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.