BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 111 - 120 of 435 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...44

Forum » Thread

Trail Runners
When our crew showed up at one camp the Staff member knew we had just hiked in and after his orientation he said, "Go ahead and get your light ..... uh, you are all already wearing light shoes...

In Philmont » Boots v. Shoes at Philmont
May 11, 11:39am

First-timer...JMT 2012
Megan, I also agree: 15lbs for first try is great. I also agree that you can cut a few ounces out and get it down more but may cost money which may or may not be an issue. There are lighter pack...

In Gear Lists » First-timer... JMT 2012
May 10, 5:13pm

TP
Thanks Mike. My sister asked me what to get my brother for Christmas and I told her to go online, type your name and get a few of your books. He was quite pleased and I now have MY books back. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
January 09, 12:56pm

No TP
Yes, I have been a no TP hiker for the past few years. Some of my fellow hikers just don't like the idea. My toilet kit is soap. Anyway Mike, I have been wondering about one thing. Your boo...

January 09, 10:19am

The only piece of gear you'll ever need
"When camping ... dig a mote around your tent to keep out anything unfriendly??? Why the @#!! is the guy digging a trench around the tent?" That's the way it used to be done. If...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the only piece of gear youll ever need
November 25, 9:53am

Havasupai
Our scout troop has been there a number of times. I have been once. Unfortunately, I went after the disastrous storms that hit a few years ago. It's a straight 10 mile hike. You drop quickly on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Havasu Falls
November 17, 1:48pm

Leaving things
Leaving things on purpose is a great way to extend one's experience in lightweight backpacking. Some of us just feel more comfortable with some of our stuff. When you start making lists you see...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Gear left at home
October 10, 5:06pm

Golden Trout Wilderness Sept 7-10, 2011
This summer has been real busy with travel out of the country and kids coming and going to all kinds of different places. Needless to say, I did not get a hike in this summer. A friend of mine had ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Golden Trout Wilderness Sept 7-10, 2011
September 16, 3:33pm

Smelly
That's why we have fires in the back country. So everyone smells like smoked BO.

September 12, 9:05am

Weekender
I have a Weekender and use it in my Mariposa Plus. I am glad to hear it fits in the Gorilla since that is probably my next pack. I pack mine the same. Stuff on bottom; canister on top. Except for o...

In GEAR » Weekender/Gorilla
August 29, 9:37am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm