BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 111 - 120 of 1276 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...128

Forum » Thread

Re: Meals when any fires are forbidden
This probably wouldn't be ideal for France, but I dehydrate my own meals and they rehydrate just fine with cold water. I make pulled pork or chicken using pork tenderloin or chicken breast, ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Meals when any fires are forbidden
September 29, 6:55pm

Re: Sierra Cup
I always thought the Sierra Club was the worst design ever. You cannot drink from one without spilling all over. They don't hold much. Anything hot poured into one gets cold almost instantly. A...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Sierra Cup
September 29, 6:47pm

Re: Re: Ancient Shoes
+1 to Craig as well. I've been wearing minimalist shoes for several years now and I just love them. When I go hiking or backpacking I prefer a bit of cushioning but I feel best without the h...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
September 29, 6:43pm

Re: "Turning 36 next year"
"Turning 36 next year rings a bell that maybe the best years of my life are behind me unused to their full potential." I hiked the PCT at age 43 and 44. At age 36 I wouldn't have b...

In Philosophy & Technique » Is anyone else feeling stranded?
September 09, 1:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Did see some UL on the JMT
I did a section on the JMT a couple years ago with a small pack (compared to the norm) and I had a ranger comment to me with suspicion that my pack looked too small to contain a bear canister. I of...

In Philosophy & Technique » Current conversations with JMT hikers
September 09, 12:57pm

Re: RE: How Much Extra Food? If Any
It almost always works out that I've brought too much food so I never actually plan to do it. On my last trip, I actually mis-counted the number of meals to put in my pack and did have to kind ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How Much Extra Food? If Any?
August 27, 3:07pm

Re: Favorite spoon
Right now I am using the short-handled titanium spoon. I don't eat out of bags so don't need the long handle. I don't mind that the bowl is smallish. I like the flattened end to the spo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Spoon heresy
August 27, 2:49pm

Re: .
In my case, I had a tub of miso in the fridge and no soy sauce packets and was hours from leaving on a trip. Just enough time to dehydrate it. It actually worked well, but takes more miso than I ex...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrating Soy Sauce?
August 27, 2:40pm

Re: Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
I have found that since I began leading Sierra Club hikes about 15 years ago the general fitness level of the average person has drastically declined. It has gotten to the point that I will lead on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
August 26, 8:25pm

Re: Where Did Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Go?
I just did a trip where we ate just breakfast, lunch and dinner, not a lot of snacking. This was because we had to hang our food in camp so even if we had a short day, our food was out of reach. If...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Where Did Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Go?
August 26, 8:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.