Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Russell Swanson (rswanson) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midatlantic
About Me Russell Swanson has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Russell Swanson

Showing 111 - 120 of 547 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...55

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Clearview Pad
Greg Mihalik wrote- "I sent my pad to them for examination, but since I didn't buy it from them they wouldn't replace it." Wow. That's pretty lousy customer service. This...

In GEAR » Clearview Pad Problems
March 10, 8:21am

Re: 20 Days
'I've got 20 days to do the trail, but I'm hoping I get done early.' Why? Take all 20 days if you can, man, and don't look back! If you have 20 days to do this incredible t...

In GEAR » Bear Vault
March 10, 8:06am

Urban myth or ?
I was able to fire up the stove this morning. A few observations: First, it took longer to boil 2 cups of water; about 7.5 minutes this time. I attribute this to a slight breeze this morning, ve...

In GEAR » Bushbuddy mesh grate
March 10, 7:56am

Re: Re: Re: Stove pics
I'm really curious about the air flow when the stove is burning. Is the air being drawn up into the fuel source from below? Or it air being drawn down through the grate and out the slots I...

March 09, 8:35pm

Re: Re: Stove pics
Yeah, I removed the bottom of the outer can so that I could fit the inner can inside. I sliced the bottom off with a side-cut can opener. The two cans fit together quite well- press fit, just lik...

March 09, 8:25pm

Re: Bear Vault
This is a highly subjective question. How long you're hiking; whether you're going to resupply at Red's, VVR, or MTR; type of food; cal/day requirement- these are all questions you nee...

In GEAR » Bear Vault
March 09, 7:50pm

Stove pics
Denis, Wasn't able to fire it up today. I will get that done soon but in the meantime, here are some pictures- Assembled stove Individual components- pot stand, out stove wall, inne...

March 09, 7:37pm

Re: Re: Mesh
I'll certainly take some snaps when I get a chance to test the stove again (hopefully in a bit here today)...I want to replicate my results as I was a bit surprised at the boil time. I'd...

March 09, 11:05am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mesh
Denis, Just an update...I finally got around to updating my stove. Found some 16 ga. Nichrome wire on eBay and added a wire grate to the stove. Elevating the fire from the bottom of the inner ...

March 09, 7:25am

Re: REI dividend
I'm in the same boat as you Ken...and I suspect a lot of others here. I'm buying pretty much everything for manufacturers that REI doesn't deal with. The small dividend check I receiv...

In GEAR » I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get?
March 04, 9:38am

All Reader Reviews by Russell Swanson

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
This is a little dated as the new Ether series has since replaced my POE pad but I still feel the review is relevant due as a statement about the company. First, the pad is comfortable, so I won'...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
September 29, 11:48pm

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max Compact
I'll be posting a similar review under the POE Max Thermo regarding the quality of the pad. First, the pad is as comfortable as advertised, so I won't go into details about this. My comments ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
September 29, 11:41pm

Aloksak O.P 12.5 x 20"
I also had difficulties securing the seal on the on the OP Sak in both a Bear Vault and an Ursak (w/aluminum liner). The OP Sak is square and the bear containers are round. Perhaps a better design w...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 22, 9:42am

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
I don't need to add to the comments about the jacket's usefulness and breathability. I practicaly live in mine on the trail. I'm dinging the perfect rating down to a 3/5 for two reasons;...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 03, 4:33pm

ULA Conduit
A lot of superlatives have been already said in the above reviews and I don't have a lot to add, other comments about the pad sleeve. It was clearly designed to accept self inflating 3/4 length p...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 11, 10:57am

REI Quarterdome
If you must have a double walled tent, this one is hard to beat. For the price, you're getting a great package. I've had the Quarter Dome for a few years now and it's been quite a serv...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
March 21, 5:18pm

ULA Equipment
Aside from Brian's phenomenal products (which are well documented), I recently had a great experience shopping with ULA. While researching a new pack purchase, Brian Frankle my emails to ULA Equi...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 14, 1:58pm

Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super
Ok, I'll admit that I'm posting this review just to see what it does to my BPL rating. Oh the vanity! I bought this bag sight unseen, based largely on Western Mountaineering’s reputation within th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 30, 6:02pm