BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 111 - 120 of 961 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...97

Forum » Thread

Re: Load lifters on the GG Crown V.C 60 Ki and other backpacks
Hi Alina, To answer your question, the load lifters are barely useful. Load lifters are not the most important part of a pack (to me) or I would just get another pack (being cheap also plays a par...

In GEAR » Load lifters on the Granite Gear Crown 60 V.C. Ki and other backpacks
May 16, 10:11am

Re: Re: Waterproof AND Mosquito proof layer?
I agree with Buck. Just about every waterproof garment is also bug proof. The exception would be an umbrella or poncho (not because of the fabric, but because of how it is worn). I use a Propore ja...

In GEAR » Waterproof AND Mosquito proof layer?
May 16, 9:21am

Re: Load lifters on the GG Crown V.C 60 Ki
I own a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack (a different model). It was reviewed here on this site. The reviewers found what I found: the load lifter are too low. It is otherwise a great pack. The hip be...

In GEAR » Load lifters on the Granite Gear Crown 60 V.C. Ki and other backpacks
May 15, 11:40pm

Re: Tarptent and Groundsheets
I use a groundsheet with my Six Moons Skyskape X. The bottom of the tent is more fragile and more expensive than a silnylon tent, so I feel it is worth it. One of the side benefits of using a groun...

In GEAR » Tarptent and Groundsheets
April 28, 7:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Windscreens
The one that sits on the radiation shield is very similar to the one I remember being described on this site. You are right, the bowl one is also very good. They both are quite similar, in that the...

In Editor's Roundtable » Recent Developments in Canister Stoves
March 13, 11:41pm

Re: Windscreens
The reason that they don't sell a windscreen with a canister stove is generally one of liability. A windscreen could cause your canister to overheat and explode... Yes, but a windscreen like...

March 13, 9:54pm

Re: Recent Developments in Canister Stoves
Excellent article. I'm curious about wind screens. Canister stoves have unusual demands from a wind screen perspective. BPL has written about this before (it may have been you, Roger, but I'...

March 13, 12:41pm

Re: density of foam- warmth vs durability
I use a GG thinlight pad with my inflatable (NeoAir). It adds a little bit more warmth and protection. It doubles as my sit pad. It may be overkill, but I feel more confident that way. Plus, it mak...

In GEAR » Ultralight Closed-Cell Foam Mat?
March 01, 10:41am

Re: Impact of Wind on Insulation Loft
Add me to the list of folks who would love to see a followup. This is the kind of stuff that really separates this site from the crowd. Anyone can review a piece of gear, but you dig into the scien...

In Editor's Roundtable » Impact of Wind on Insulation Loft
February 27, 6:44pm

Re: Re: Buying a Tarptent... need trekking poles
Even if you own trekking poles, you may still want to use lightweight poles to hold up your tent. My wife and I own a TarpTent Squall 2 and decided to buy a couple poles from TarpTent. They weigh a...

In GEAR » Buying a Tarptent... need trekking poles
February 25, 11:22am

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm