BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 111 - 120 of 956 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...96

Forum » Thread

Re: Windscreens
The reason that they don't sell a windscreen with a canister stove is generally one of liability. A windscreen could cause your canister to overheat and explode... Yes, but a windscreen like...

In Editor's Roundtable » Recent Developments in Canister Stoves
March 13, 9:54pm

Re: Recent Developments in Canister Stoves
Excellent article. I'm curious about wind screens. Canister stoves have unusual demands from a wind screen perspective. BPL has written about this before (it may have been you, Roger, but I'...

In Editor's Roundtable » Recent Developments in Canister Stoves
March 13, 12:41pm

Re: density of foam- warmth vs durability
I use a GG thinlight pad with my inflatable (NeoAir). It adds a little bit more warmth and protection. It doubles as my sit pad. It may be overkill, but I feel more confident that way. Plus, it mak...

In GEAR » Ultralight Closed-Cell Foam Mat?
March 01, 10:41am

Re: Impact of Wind on Insulation Loft
Add me to the list of folks who would love to see a followup. This is the kind of stuff that really separates this site from the crowd. Anyone can review a piece of gear, but you dig into the scien...

In Editor's Roundtable » Impact of Wind on Insulation Loft
February 27, 6:44pm

Re: Re: Buying a Tarptent... need trekking poles
Even if you own trekking poles, you may still want to use lightweight poles to hold up your tent. My wife and I own a TarpTent Squall 2 and decided to buy a couple poles from TarpTent. They weigh a...

In GEAR » Buying a Tarptent... need trekking poles
February 25, 11:22am

Re: Thanks
I have a pair of MLD mitts I use for the summer (with very light glove liners). For the winter, I use similar glove liners with big wool mitts and OR mitt shells. Even though the shells are similar...

In GEAR » Zpacks or MLD Rain Mitts
February 24, 10:44pm

Re: Logic Check: Windshirt
Here is my take on it: In most cases it is a luxury. So is a pillow (use a rock-stone like Bob Marley). But it is a very light luxury item that comes in handy for a lot of uses: 1) As mentioned,...

In GEAR » Logic Check: Windshirt
February 21, 5:11pm

Re: Re: Ultralight Reading Glasses
>>> Yeah, very light, BUT ... they only work at home. If you are out walking and have got a bit sweaty, and want to read a map, forget it. They fall straight off your nose. Well, that&...

In GEAR » Ultralight Reading Glasses
February 14, 1:58pm

Re: Poncho and Windshirt are two separate pieces
For the most part, a windshirt is an unnecessary item. I don't always carry one. Basically, a rain jacket (or poncho) can serve as wind protection as well as rain protection. A puffy jacket als...

In GEAR » Breathable windshirt vs Frogg Toggs poncho? & as an aside, Zpacks fanny pack
February 14, 1:37pm

Re: Do it all pad combo
Sounds reasonable, the big question is whether you will be comfortable on just a Ridgerest. Lots of people move to inflatable pads from closed cell foam only because it is more comfortable. But tha...

In GEAR » Do it all pad combo
February 08, 11:58am

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm