November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 111 - 120 of 976 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...98

Forum » Thread

Re: "Is a groundsheet really necessary?"
I have gone both ways with the various tents I've owned. With a recent, expensive, Cuben Fiber bottomed tent, I decided to use a Polycro (clear) groundsheet. I've found three advantages: ...

In GEAR » Is a groundsheet really necessary?
July 15, 11:32am

Re: not that custom
@Dan I know you don't custom design from scratch, but my recommendation for someone buying a pack from you is to contact you, rather than try and navigate your website. At least, that is what I...

In GEAR » McHale pack or Zimmer pack?
July 05, 9:14pm

Re: Re: McHale pack or Zimmer pack?
>> Of course Dan is a pack maker and not a web designer and it shows. His site doesn't showcase his light packs much either so I think you are best off calling him and talking to him. ...

In GEAR » McHale pack or Zimmer pack?
July 05, 8:05pm

Re: Water System Stuff
Here is my system: 3 Liter Platy: 1 1/2 oz. Sawyer Squeeze Bag: 1 1/4 oz. Filter: 3 1/2 oz. Tornado Tube: 1/2 oz. Two Caps (one for Platy, one for Sawyer Bag): 1/4 oz. Bag: Which holds t...

In GEAR » Another Sawyer Squeeze Question
July 05, 6:07pm

Re: Another Sawyer Squeeze Question
It sounds fine to me, but I'm not sure why you want hard sided bottles instead of a platypus and a squeeze bag. I guess it depends on how far your water sources are from one another and how muc...

In GEAR » Another Sawyer Squeeze Question
July 05, 3:04pm

Re: Re: Weight vs. time
@Josh -- Why do you carry 12 ounces? When I go hiking, I usually carry no water. I stop, drink and keep going. Takes me about thirty seconds. I don't have to take my pack off. The filter and di...

In GEAR » Gravity filter vs. Aqua Mira: The age-old question
June 21, 10:25pm

Re: Berghaus 110 gram waterproof smock
It might not be the most durable jacket in the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't a really good jacket. Lots of folks (like me) use Propore, even though it is ridiculously fragile. We ju...

In GEAR » Berghaus 110 gram waterproof smock
June 21, 10:14pm

Re: Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4b: Gear Reviews (Continued)
Excellent set of reviews. This is great stuff. I really like it. A couple additions I would like to see (obviously for future articles): I would love a review of garments insulated with syntheti...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4b: Gear Reviews (Continued)
June 19, 11:22am

Re: Pack Compression Systems: Web straps vs. Single Cord
I would say web straps are a lot easier to adjust, but they weigh more. This is especially true if the straps have buckles. I have straps like that on my day pack, and really like the speed and fle...

In GEAR » Pack Compression Systems: Web straps vs. Single Cord
June 13, 11:00pm

Re: Re: drizzle
I find fleece to be the best thing for drizzle. Both a fleece sweater and fleece hat are great. Unfortunately, a fleece sweater is pretty heavy for the amount of warmth it gives, so I typically don...

In GEAR » The worst kind of rain
May 27, 12:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm