BPL Community Profile

Kathleen Whalen-Burns (rosierabbit) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Kathleen Whalen-Burns has not added a biography yet.
CityStevens Pass
StateWashington

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kathleen Whalen-Burns

Showing 111 - 120 of 545 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...55

Forum » Thread

BPL Reader "best of" thread
Pack: MLD Exodus Trekking poles: REI Peak Shelter: Contrail in the summer, Wild Oasis in the winter Sleeping bag: Nunatak 20 degree quilt Sleeping pad: KookaBay custom Rain shell: ID eV...

In GEAR » BPL Reader "best of" thread
November 08, 9:11pm

Photon Micro Light
Lance - the photon microlight REI sells does not come with a clip, nor does the light stay on unless you squeeze it constantly. When I searched for one with a clip, I found it had to be the Photon...

In Editor's Roundtable » Philmont Redux: A Returning Scouter’s Report
October 26, 12:00pm

Goat Kills Hiker
I got permission from Mike Collins, an experienced, accomplished, and level-headed climber in the Pacific Northwest, to re-print his comment below that he had posted on NorthwestHikers.net. He rese...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goat Kills Hiker?!??!!??
October 26, 9:41am

PCT gear review Part II (clothes)
David - your Part I and Part II posts are very informative. It's helpful to know from field experience how gear holds up over a long hike, even though a lot of us may never do a thru-hike. I&...

In GEAR » PCT gear review Part II (clothes)
October 18, 9:09am

Cheap Ultralight Gear List
Thanks for this great list, Jamie! It gives me lots of ideas to use with my grandsons who are raring to go out on another trip with nana. I have some spare gear, but the list is helpful, especial...

In Gear Lists » Cheap Ultralight Gear List
October 10, 12:23pm

OP Sak Closure System
My experience with OPsaks is in an Ursak lined with the large Opsak with smaller Opsaks containing breakasts, lunches, etc. inside that. The seals are annoyingly flimsy and pull away from the main...

In GEAR » Alok OP Sak Replacement?
October 05, 10:00am

Back from PCT... What did I miss?
Actually, you may be the one with the useful news updates on backpacking. What pack/bag/shelter/stove/clothing systems did you use? What worked? What didn't? And a hearty congratulations!

In GEAR » Back from PCT... What did I miss?
September 27, 5:01pm

First-hand report
These are brilliant! Be sure to do all your prying of apricots and stuffing of paste before you start rolling them in the chocolate. It's a mess - like fingerpainting - and lots of fun. And ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » A fattening yummy from this weekend
September 21, 5:20pm

Apricots
OK, I'm back. I had 2 choices of almond paste, one was "pure" and the other was much cheaper but had a bunch of syrups and coconut somethings in it. So I splurged and bought the pur...

September 21, 4:47pm

Stuffing apricots
Yowsers! I am heading out the door to buy almond paste. While I'm gone, I hope you can tell us how to stuff an apricot. The dried ones I have aren't stuffable. Do you slit them open? S...

September 21, 4:00pm

All Reader Reviews by Kathleen Whalen-Burns

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Botach Tactical Customer Service
I had a similar experience to David's. They sent the inferior space blankets, rather than the correct order, took forever to send a return UPS shipping label, and only yesterday admitted to recei...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 07, 5:35pm

Boomer's Guide to Lightweight Backpacking by Carol Corbridge
I was very disappointed in this book. Luckily, I didn't buy it but had checked it out from the library. For starters, the book is in major need of copy editing. There are lots of awkward sent...

In Books and Media
May 28, 2:04pm

Backpacking Light Merino UL Pants
These do everything BPL promised - provide comfortable warmth without being bulky. I've worn them under non-winter hiking pants all winter, and they've extended the comfort range down to 7 de...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 25, 10:55am

Hikelight.com Company
I just discovered this website that is based in Oregon. It seems to be a distributor of some of our favorite brands - SixMoonDesigns, Tarptent, Montbell, GraniteGear, and Western Mountaineering. No ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 22, 9:39am

HarmonyHouseFoods.com vegetables and beans
I just received my second order of dehydrated food from Harmony House. First I bought the vegetable pantry stuffer - 16 different quart-sized containers of various dehydrated vegetables, and then a we...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
July 25, 9:08pm

Golite Paradox pants
I'm not sure whether to review these in raingear or softshell clothing, because they're both. They are all-day pants, rather than rain pants to pull on over hiking pants and are made of a fab...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 10, 1:11pm

Sealskinz gloves
I had the same experience as Brett. My non-waterproof gloves absorbed less water than these.

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
July 10, 12:51pm

ULA Circuit
This pack was on backorder, but it came sooner than Brian said it would. I gave it a 2-day test this last weekend on a short backpacking trip in the Cascades. I was pleased that it was as comfortabl...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
March 06, 1:29pm