BPL Community Profile

Rick M (rmjapan) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Tokyo, Japan
About Me Rick M has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick M

Showing 111 - 120 of 985 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...99

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
JC, you would be wildly overestimating the amount of down at nearly 50% of the jackets weight thinking it has 180g-200g of down. Not even the Mirage with its 7D fabric has a fill ratio that high. T...

In GEAR » Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
April 30, 1:24am

Re: Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
I think you can guessitmate, given the fabric weight and feature set of the Alpine Down Parka, that the fill weight is ~4oz/125g. At half the price of the USA Mirage it is a good value. The Japa...

In GEAR » Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
April 30, 12:11am

Re: Just purchased
Maybe should have waited until you got to Korea, Nathan. You may find the climate and campsite terrain unsuitable for that TT design.

In GEAR » acceptance into UL backpacking. the tent!
April 28, 6:46pm

Re: now i SEA
Survival knife? You better check the Korean law on that. In Japan you would be arrested if found carrying any knife with a blade length over 5cm (2")! Seen it happen to countless foreign backp...

In GEAR » Moving Overseas: bringing our backpacking gear
April 27, 7:05pm

Re: shipping
Nathan, the $200 quote surprised me but it seems the USPS no longer offers SEA MAIL service. Everything is sent by air now! Still, I would just box my stuff up instead of buying new large "...

April 27, 6:42pm

Re: Moving Overseas: bringing our backpacking gear
My advise is to travel light and use your "luggage money" to box/ship your necessary belongings via sea mail and not buy more luggage because odds are you won't have the space to stor...

April 27, 5:41pm

Re: Bivy or Duomid for speed treks
Sounds like you are in training for something like the Trans Japan Alps Race! http://www.tjar.jp/index.html The NHK program I watched on the race showed many of them using a zelte or a SOL b...

In GEAR » Bivy or Duomid for speed treks
April 25, 6:10pm

Re: Thank you
Yeah, you musta had a good chuckle with the advice in this thread! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiN6ZU0KFlc

In Philosophy & Technique » Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
April 25, 2:45am

Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice.
For the weight you are carrying, I would NOT wear a trail runner. Best to go with a mixed leather/synth mid boot and a Vibram sole if possible. You can find a non-Goretex model under 600g/boot depe...

In GEAR » HELP with new trail shoe choice.
April 24, 11:42pm

Re: My thoughts on the Black Diamond Alpine Start
Seems by your description, both companies understand their customers needs with these pieces and their design is reflected BD's emphasis on backcountry skiing and Rab's emphasis on mountain...

In Editor's Roundtable » Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody review
April 24, 6:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick M

Rick M has posted no reviews.