Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 111 - 120 of 8314 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...832

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to learn self-arrest
google youtube videos that show how to do it read books, like Freedom of the Hills Go to a snowy place, find a steep slope with good run-out in case you don't stop. Start sliding and the...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Where to learn self-arrest
February 10, 6:20pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: (Warning: Politics)
Maybe some negotiated settlement where Putin can say he won Russia ended the Afganistan war because they suffered prolonged caualties, like our Vietnam. Maybe us talking about arming the Ukrain...

In Chaff » I Find This Very Troubling (Warning: Politics)
February 09, 8:33am

Re: Re: Re: Re: (Warning: Politics)
I don't agree #1 unanimous EU and NATO ultamatum would cause Putin to back down. I don't think he'll back down. If the war ends and the sanctions are ended, then Putin won't b...

February 08, 11:49pm

Re: Re: (Warning: Politics)
That's good because you got two opinions rather than just saying one or the other is true You can't say with certainty we should or should not arm the Ukrainians. Either approach has ri...

February 08, 9:32pm

Re: Trail Dog
I have been on trail crew. Pulaski to make new trail. I pretty much always do a little throwing branches off trail. I don't care if there's one branch that can be stepped over without ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trail Work Thread
February 08, 6:54pm

Re: Re: Luci inflatable, solar lantern.
I have a Luci. Runs 8 hours on low. Then runs longer, gradually getting dimmer. I like to have an LED headlamp so I can shine light around without hands. Luci doesn't work in that mode. ...

In GEAR » Luci inflatable, solar lantern.
February 08, 5:45pm

Re: Re: Stoves and Weather Clarification
Iso-butane works down to 25 F or even 20 F. N-butane works down to maybe 40 F? Most canisters have an iso-butane propane blend. That's what you want. It should say iso-butane on the outsi...

In GEAR » Stoves and Weather Clarification
February 08, 5:41pm

Re: Re: I’m Autistic, And Believe Me, It’s A Lot Better Than Measles
My nephew is far down the autism spectrum. If you push him, he'll say a few words. No way he'll ever be able to live on his own. Many parents get divorced. In some ways, he has a ...

In Chaff » I’m Autistic, And Believe Me, It’s A Lot Better Than Measles
February 08, 12:17am

Re: not user error with mini
"Bending back and forth pet plastics in my experience forms bend lines which eventually crack" I have been using PET bottles for many trips. There are some bend lines. After maybe 20...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze
February 08, 12:07am

Re: Re: WM bag overfill - any reason not to?
Maybe arguably, the overfilled down is half as warm as fully lofted down. Think about it - you want to fluff up the down so it produces as much loft as possible. If your sleeping bag is compres...

In GEAR » WM bag overfill - any reason not to?
February 08, 12:03am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.