Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 111 - 120 of 7789 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...779

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: The asym baffle
"it might make sense to flip out- or even to "reverse" the quilt to intentionally reduce warmth on warm nights." seems like you need to totally unzip or lower for warmest con...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Insulation Mess
November 10, 4:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Insulation Mess
"Have you ever thought of making a hybrid with a thin layer of synthetic insulation with sewn through down baffles on top? Might be too heavy?" What's bad about synthetic/down hybr...

November 10, 4:21pm

Re: The asym baffle
"You would want the solid shell out and the baffles in." Yes That's how I did it. But, if you want an outer layer like a bivy, then you could have baffles out.

November 10, 4:20pm

Re: already worked it out
Yeah, weight doesn't matter, efficiency is what matters. I bet there's little difference between any of the regular stoves. Heat exchanger stove, of course, will be better (hopefully). ...

In GEAR » 25gram canister stove? Brs-3000t. Is this the new lightest canister stove?
November 10, 3:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Insulation Mess
"Sewn through baffle? There will be cold spots" Like I said, I haven't convinced everyone : ) Regular sewn through does have spots where the loft goes to zero. Asymetric do...

November 10, 3:20pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Insulation Mess
Finally, should the baffles go inside or outside? If they go outside, the slot of just air will be exposed to the air and if it's windy, it will get blown away. But down is really susce...

November 10, 3:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Insulation Mess
One other thing. With regular baffles, the down tends to slide away from the front to the sides so on top of you, the baffles lose much of their loft. The marketing spinners tout this as an adv...

November 10, 2:56pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Insulation Mess
uh oh, you're encouraging me : ) yeah, like Bill said, you have to sew together two pieces. You have to make one side pi/2 bigger. Actually, you can make it a little bigger or smalle...

November 10, 2:43pm

Re: Re: Re: The Insulation Mess
I see Zpack uses 30% overstuff Yeah, that makes sense, baffle bulges so it's wider than design so requires more down. If it's a horizontal surface, gravity tends to flatten it. If ...

November 10, 12:10pm

Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
I think the Wilderness Act is pretty vague about what's allowed. Human structures aren't allowed which includes motors, but also bikes, bridges, trails,... But then they allow excepti...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
November 10, 10:35am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.