Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 111 - 120 of 9446 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...945

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: CF limited life span?
yeah, 200 nights from CF - $2 per night - is disappointing I put a piece of silnylon out in the sun for 4 months - 120 days. A bit faded but I couldn't rip it or anything, still seems water...

In GEAR » does older cuben hold water more than new cuben?
September 11, 9:01pm

Re: France
plastic lasts pretty much forever. Huge amounts in the ocean. It breaks up into little pieces that harm life. Probably good France is banning plastic bags. we could recycle it though or I ...

In Chaff » plastiglomerate
September 11, 3:58pm

Re: more nonsense defense is a free forum we had a lot of spam, then the admin did something and there has been very little spam I think it asks you some question when you register that an oregon fami...

In Gear Deals » Deuce of Spades Seconds!! They go fast...
September 11, 3:55pm

Re: Never mind
Trump on Fox - I wonder what happened to the Trump - Megan Kelly feud?

In Chaff » Can the GOP Sink Any Lower? Yes It Can!!
September 11, 7:52am

Re: Re: "Warm when wet"
nice video but, he said he couldn't measure the difference between merino and synthetic, but the merino felt warmer. That's subjective and open to bias. My problem is there's lit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "Warm when wet"
September 10, 7:38pm

Re: Re: "Clueless "experts" at Backpacker"
it depends on the location and how many people go to a place often, there is an abundance of wood. Better to let it decompose naturally, but burning it releases the nutrients more quickly. If ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Clueless "experts" at Backpacker
September 10, 7:26pm

Re: Re: Less than ideal conditions.
but why would you make a fire in the rain? Set up tent, get under it, get in sleeping bag at some point there's no way a fire will keep you drier. Standing in the rain will get you wette...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Clueless "experts" at Backpacker
September 10, 4:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: plastiglomerate
I am an expert on everything at least in my own mind : ) When I put plastic on a fire, it kind of melts onto a piece of wood, and then there are large flames. And obnoxious smoke - don't...

September 10, 3:24pm

Re: "Warm when wet"
Down collapses if it gets wet enough, and then it loses all it's insulative value. Synthetics and wool keep their loft if wet, so there insulative value is mostly maintained. Maybe that'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "Warm when wet"
September 10, 3:20pm

Re: Re: plastiglomerate
I sometimes burn plastic and I'm pretty sure it burns up and doesn't turn into plastiglomerate

September 10, 12:37pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.