BPL Community Profile

Denis Hazlewood (redleader) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
About Me 75 years old. Started backpacking in the late 60's. Raced small sailboats for 20 years until I moved to Lake Tahoe in '83. Started backpacking again and upgraded my gear shaving 20lbs off my back. Began CARRYING A GOOD THING TOO FAR, a workshop for beginning backpackers in 1987. Hiking mostly in the northern Sierra, Lost Coast and Southern Cascades. Was introduced to lightweight backing by my friend and hiking partner, Donn Nibblett, and have experimented with alcohol stoves and, most lately, an ultralite titanium mulit-tool potty trowel.
CityPetaluma
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 111 - 120 of 1222 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...123

Forum » Thread

Re: In an Emergency
Load bearing zippers should have compression straps across them. You may have to sew them yourself. If you live in the San Francisco bay area there is a place in Berkeley (Narane's) that does...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » In an Emergency
January 02, 11:25pm

Re:OK, Joe -- don't hold back on his now...
Let 'er rip Joe...

In GEAR » The G Spot is a FARCE!
January 02, 10:57pm

Re: No you shouldn't
Roger, If you do please put on a shirt.

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight vs 'The Look'
December 30, 11:41pm

Re: Short Neo Air
I have one each of the NeoAir short, medium and regular. I like the regular because it fits so well with one of Bender's SUL inflatable pillows. The Medium works ok too but is just a little s...

In GEAR » Pros and cons of this neoair setup please
December 29, 8:51pm

LuxuryLite Luke startled by an unmanned drone while hiking the Llano Azul.

In Chaff » Avatar
December 28, 7:28pm

Re: Ugly Mugs
Me at the end of six days in the Emigrant Wilderness - Sept 2009 Red Leader at Miller Flat on the Lost Coast My partner (hiking and otherwise) Susan

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ugly Mugs
December 22, 11:44pm

Re: Re: Titanium Mug or Teapot>?
I've got the Evernew versions of that pot. It actually holds 0.9l. After my set of Firelite pots it's my favorite. Won't work with a Caldera though.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Titanium Mug or Teapot>?
December 20, 6:25pm

Re: Re: Metal working
The method I use is to score a line with a box cutter and then use a pair of tin snips. You must score very deeply. ie. many revolutions. After scoring I can tear out the plug sometimes. Take it...

In Make Your Own Gear » Metal working
December 20, 6:19pm

Re: clip beeping watch inside balaclava where it won't freeze...
I haven't been able to hear digital watch beeping for years, due to the fact that they're not loud enough to be heard over my tinitus. The alarm on my Pentax Optio works very well.

In GEAR » alarm clock input needed
December 19, 11:51pm

Re: Starbucks container details
I went into Starbuck's some time after the first post and asked if I could get one of the boxes with the bag. They just gave me a new one and there was no charge. I haven't been able to g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Starbucks coffee container
December 16, 12:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
Brett, Is he any worse than RJ? I mean Corn Pasta? Did you ever try Corn Pasta? You should have seen all the Corn Pasta in the drop boxes at PCT mail drops just after he published the Corn Pasta b...

In Books and Media
February 14, 11:05pm

Martin Backpacker Guitar
James you're right-on for every point. I have a late '50s Martin 18G-00. It's a dream, but no way I'd haul an axe that heavy (and that valuable) into any canyon. My Backpacker too s...

In Miscellaneous Products
January 25, 6:20pm

LuxuryLight Modular External Frame Backpack
I had carried my LuxuryLight external frame backpack for the most of the 2005 season when I slipped and slid 8 feet down a creek bank. The pack frame took my 200 lb. load plus the 26lbs. in the pack....

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 24, 3:42pm

Big Sky Products Evolution 2P
On December 6, 2005 I ordered my Big Sky Evolution 2P tent. It was finally delivered on December 14, 2006. It took 373 days of badgering Bob Molen and I had just about given up hope of ever getting ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
January 19, 6:03pm

Keebler Fudge Peanut Butt. filled cookies (like Reese's)
These get my 5/5 rating also. They are absolutly a stealth food. If the others find out you've got them you'll have to share. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. The only thing better is more.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
January 15, 2:51pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
In 1986 I was wandering around in a local outfitters store and saw my first Sling-Light. I bought one with the optional headrest. The first time I carried it was on the Tahoe-Yosemite trail from Mee...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 15, 12:43pm

Big Sky International
On December 5, 2005 I ordered, and paid for, an Evolution 2P tent from Bob Molen. Bob has given me many promised delivery dates, the most recent on November 29, 2006, when Bob said he had the tent. ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 12:47pm

LuxuryLite Gear Modular Frame Pack
I have just finished two backpack trips using the LuxuryLite Pack. Mine is the all carbon fiber model, with three extra large cylinders. I'm still learning how to pack the cylinders but I think ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 01, 4:34pm