BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 111 - 120 of 9573 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...958

Forum » Thread

Re: Expected filter life and "backflushing"?
Hi Robert LIFE - always the big question. It is going to totally and entirely depend on how clean the water is to start with. There are NO definite answers. There seems to be some very fine ...

In Editor's Roundtable » RapidPure Filters Review
September 24, 4:03pm

Re: Additional feedback on stove so far
Hi Ivar Point taken about the Caldera Cone, BUT there are two risks to watch out for there. The first is that the stove may get MUCH hotter when enclosed like that - how hot i do not know. Y...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 4 - Lessons Learnt
September 24, 3:53pm

Re: Largish Rattlesnake Encounter in Sierras
Nice pics. Fat snake. Seeing venomous snakes is quite common here in Oz in some places. We go around. Cheers

In Photo Gallery » Largish Rattlesnake Encounter in Sierras
September 24, 3:23pm

Re: Commercial Tyvek Shoes
I am sure they would last at least 100 m (that's metres, not miles). Cheers

In GEAR » Commercial Tyvek Shoes
September 23, 4:36am

Re: OK
Hi Eric > I'll make the total cord length 75% of the pole length and hope for good tension. Eh - best allow for some tuning, because I do not know what shock cord you have. Probably di...

In GEAR » Re-shockcording Tent Poles - What type & length of shock cord to use?
September 23, 4:33am

Re: Steripen and iPhone light
> This would be a tough, challenging and lucrative invention. Probably, for all three. But it would get ruthlessly and totally panned here at BPL. The iPhone light does NOT generate the req...

In GEAR » Steripen and iPhone light
September 23, 4:19am

Re: Mental status test with no aids.
> I know what kind of mental arithmetic I can do And when you can't remember what mental arithmetic you should be trying to do? :-) Actually, hypoglycemia can have similar effects imho...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » SpO2 levels on whitney
September 22, 3:19pm

Re: shock cord - Spectra in middle, Knot, length
> which width of Spectra do you use and what knot do you use to tie to the shock cord? Oh, pretty light stuff - 1 mm or less. Spectra and Dyneema are awfully strong. Rubbing and wearing would b...

In GEAR » Re-shockcording Tent Poles - What type & length of shock cord to use?
September 22, 3:15pm

An alternative for techies
The single AA idea is good - better than 3 D cells, but you can go lighter and keep a good battery life. No, not a coin cell, but any small rechargeable lithium battery out of a dead phone. You hav...

In GEAR » Single AA battery headlamps
September 22, 3:05pm

Re: Potty trowel
> I figure if the spot looks good to me than it might have looked good to someone else. Good practice is to lay two short solid dead sticks in a cross over the hole after you fill it in. Or may...

In GEAR » Potty trowel
September 22, 2:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm