Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 111 - 120 of 821 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...83

Forum » Thread

XLite
Well I haven't popped mine or any of my other flavors of NeoAirs. I have certainly had it in sandy areas but no shredding yet. http://tinyurl.com/adkdyl5

In GEAR » Has anyone actually popped a Thermarest XLite?
January 16, 12:32pm

stakes
They are both made by Easton, just the heads differ. I have had no problem with breakage yet. I have hit them with rocks and a steel hatchet. http://tinyurl.com/9fysgze

In GEAR » MSR Carbon core vs Easton FMJ
January 08, 6:21am

micro-lights
I carry the Photon Freedom Micro LED Lights and they are easy to change batteries if needed. Just your knife tip will open it, no screwdriver needed. I reviewed them here: http://tinyurl.com/b9d...

In GEAR » Photon and other micro-lights
January 06, 6:21am

re
Oh no worries Ian, I saw these bags (and quilts, as they have a couple of them too) at the OR Show. They asked me if I wanted to try one and I told them that honestly I am not the best person to...

In GEAR » Thermarest Sleeping Bags Specs
January 04, 2:07pm

Thermarest Sleeping Bags
Well you aren’t comparing apples to apples there, but I get what you are saying. Those are MSRP’s and as we all know the actual price will be set by the individual retailers. I am happy t...

In GEAR » Thermarest Sleeping Bags Specs
January 04, 12:19pm

frost happens
Roger is right on. The Black Diamond (or earlier Bibler ToddTex) fabric will get frost from frozen condensation just as much as anything else. Maybe one of the worst nights I ever saw was two of...

In GEAR » Hilleberg Nallo 2 Frost and Condensation
January 02, 2:42pm

same as Esbit
Is is the fuel itself. Esbit is the same way.

In GEAR » There Is Something Fishy Here
December 31, 12:04pm

attachment
Yes, Sarah. All of the attachments are the same across the entire Platy line. I often leave the Clean bag at home and just use my Hoser, but as you are getting the 2L (I have the 4L) I can see j...

In GEAR » Platypus 2.0L GravityWorks Filter System
December 28, 5:07pm

SnowShoe boots
If all you are doing is easy terrain and snowshoe use then a pair of warm Sorrel-type boots will work fine. That is all I use now in MN. But as most of my stuff in CA involved climbing and cram...

In GEAR » SnowShoe boots?
December 28, 5:02pm

Scout
The Scout reminds me of my first tent, an Army surplus pup tent with the poles inside like that. Weighs a bit less though...

In GEAR » New Big Agnes Tents
December 28, 4:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm