Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 111 - 120 of 675 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Barrier bags
"yeah.. dumb luck. I don't use one and haven't had a problem either." The dumb luck comment was me just being facetious. I have had no issues when others in camps around me ha...

In GEAR » My scumbag opsack is now putting out an odor! :-P
August 06, 1:37pm

Re: Barrier bags
I have been very happy with my Opsack. Stored inside my Ursack I have yet to have any encounters with animals. Based on the feedback on this thread I guess that is just dumb luck.

In GEAR » My scumbag opsack is now putting out an odor! :-P
August 06, 12:44pm

Cover-up is better
Honestly I wonder why there seems to be so much more skin cancer nowadays. I have concerns that sunscreen is only preventing burning but not other damage that can lead to cancer. There are so man...

In GEAR » Sunscreen
August 05, 9:29pm

Re: Tarp Recomendation for marmot mesh bivy
Here is relatively inexpensive option. Just barely long enough though. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20068

In GEAR » Tarp Recomendation for marmot mesh bivy
July 30, 9:32pm

Re: Bug net/bivy
One of the things I really like about the MLD Bug Bivy is the zipper location. It's lengthwise above you (i.e., Top Entry). It allows you the freedom to simply unzip a short section and sit s...

In GEAR » Bug net/bivy
July 26, 8:59pm

Re: Recommend a Light - FAST drying - NO ZIP OFF - pant for hot summer hikes
Arcteryx Rampart Pants 8.5oz. They are an athletic fit as most Arcteryx stuff is but move well. 100% nylon and so dry very quickly. I love the no zip pockets but with a well designed hood over t...

In GEAR » Recommend a Light-fast drying-no zip off-pant for hot summer hikes
July 25, 10:25pm

Re: Stainless dog bowl as cookpot?
Does it have a handle? Stainless dog bowls I have seen do not and would be awkward to pickup and handle when hot.

In GEAR » Stainless dog bowl as cookpot?
July 23, 1:25pm

WTB MLD Bug Bivy
Cuben or Silnylon

In Gear Swap » WTB MLD Bug Bivy
July 09, 8:42am

Re: Re: Re: UrSack okayed by Inyo
My understanding is one of the key points of the liner is it makes it hard for the Bear to grab it by making the material around it tight. Kinda of like a football player wearing a tight jersey so...

In GEAR » UrSack okayed by Inyo
July 08, 12:37pm

Re: UrSack okayed by Inyo
I have an Ursack, For those using it Bear country, I would plan to use the Aluminum liner insert with it.

In GEAR » UrSack okayed by Inyo
July 08, 12:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm