BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 111 - 120 of 5903 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...591

Forum » Thread

Re: Seeking advice on emergency insulation for unplanned overnights
"Suggestions?" No matter what you do about clothing/shelter, take around 2000 calories of food, with a decent amount of carbs in it, say 30-40%. It doesn't do any good to have ins...

In GEAR » Seeking advice on emergency insulation for unplanned overnights
June 19, 5:03pm

Bench Lake via Taboose Pass-KCNP 6/9-12
Bench Lake has been on my list for many years, and since the shortest way by far to access it is via rugged Taboose Pass I figured I'd best get on with it while I still had my legs. The low sn...

In Post-Trip Reports » Bench Lake via Taboose Pass-KCNP 6/9-12
June 19, 4:51pm

Re: Milk Powder Packaging and Shelf Life @ Joey
"Once a canister has been opened and the powder is exposed to air, the clock starts ticking." Would this same principle apply to whey protein, even though it has no fat?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Milkman milk powder cases now available online
June 19, 4:36pm

ot-bench
Bench Lake has been on my list for many years, and since the shortest way by far to access it is via rugged Taboose Pass I figured I'd best get on with it while I still had my legs. The low sn...

In User Test Forum » ot-bench
June 18, 8:12pm

Re: Fire restrictions up north here already
"I'd think down south, things would be drier." That is ordinarily the case, but the snowfall is highly variable from micro environment to micro environment. We ran into snow just ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire restrictions up north here already
June 17, 5:26pm

Re: Fire restrictions up north here already
" Big effect on alcohol users along the PCT and elsewhere." I checked with the East Sierra Interagency Visitor staff when I picked up a permit for Bench Lake on June 9, and they said a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire restrictions up north here already
June 16, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Nido - Dried whole milk
"If so, at which stores?" Just about any Hispanic market will carry it.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Milkman milk powder cases now available online
June 16, 5:31pm

Re: Thinking of ditching WM Ultralite 20 for ZPacks 20 Bag. Good idea or not?
"I'll be doing the majority of my hiking 3 season in the PNW." Off on a tangent, the Ultralight is a lot of bag for 3 seasons in the PNW. You could trade down to a WM Summerlite w...

In GEAR » Thinking of ditching WM Ultralite 20 for ZPacks 20 Bag. Good idea or not?
June 16, 5:26pm

Re: the next meal
"After poaching a fish in a Ti pot (e.g. MSR Titan .85L), will my morning coffee also taste like fish? Does Ti hold on to flavors?" Not if you clean it properly. One way is with soap,...

In GEAR » How to cook fish without a fire: steaming or grilling with Sidewinder setup?
June 16, 5:17pm

Re: Steaming fish
" Bring a little chopped green onions and a little soy sauce and you are good to go." +1 Also, if you are at a lake with boggy areas around the inlet/outlet at elevations near 10,000&...

In GEAR » How to cook fish without a fire: steaming or grilling with Sidewinder setup?
June 15, 8:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm