Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 111 - 120 of 6762 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...677

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: law of the commons
""Cultural norm" means very little. We have a legal right to do what is not against the law. It may be rude." To the extent that cultural norm means very little, we are no mo...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacking News: Digest No. 15
May 11, 8:44pm

Re: Re: Re: law of the commons
"Sounds like a free for all." Exactly my point, which is where your line of reasoning ends up. If people are to live together peacefully, there have to be common rules of behavior. S...

May 11, 5:46pm

Re: law of the commons
"We have no rights, we hsve no responsibility other than those we place on ourselves. We can't control other people." You have just stated The Law of the Jungle. People who follow...

May 10, 5:02pm

Re: "Ursack vs Critters (not bears)?"
"To be honest, I've never understood the Ursak vis a vis bears. Like a chew toy to them. And bear saliva us really, really nasty." Why not use the aluminum insert? Protecting your...

In GEAR » Ursack vs Critters (not bears)?
May 10, 4:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whineorama
"roman numeral convertor says that IXXIILXIILXXI isn't legal number" OK, OK, so I made it up. But I think you get the point. @#%^$#^! engineers. ;0))

In GEAR » Never buying from REI again
May 09, 9:53pm

Re: Re: Tea leaves, LNT, and bears
"If I'm allowed to bury my feces in an area where I'm hiking, I believe that leaving being highly compostable items is fine as well. If I'm in areas where I must pack out everyt...

In Philosophy & Technique » Tea leaves, LNT, and bears
May 09, 9:51pm

Re: Duct Tape
"Without thinking much about it, I guess I had in mind somehow getting a strip of silnylon or cuben or the like to adhere to each shoulder" Most of the UL gear makers will sell you Cub...

In GEAR » Best lightweight rain jacket (sub 8-9 oz): Montbell Versalite, OR Helium II, Marmot Mica & Essence, MH Superlight Plasmic or other?
May 09, 9:04pm

Re: Trail Birthdays. How do you celebrate?
"How does everyone in the lightweight or ultralight backpacking world celebrate birthdays while on the trail? I'd love some more ideas." Watch a beautiful sunset, find a suitably c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trail Birthdays. How do you celebrate?
May 09, 9:00pm

Re: Re: Re: Whineorama
"my number is 257xxx. whose going to beat me?" IXXIILXIILXXI

In GEAR » Never buying from REI again
May 09, 8:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Tea leaves, LNT, and bears
"I have been known to let tea bags dry out in the air, and then I tear them open, scatter the tea leaves, and pack out the rest." Exactly. Thanks for fleshing out the idea, Bob.

In Philosophy & Technique » Tea leaves, LNT, and bears
May 09, 8:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm