BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 111 - 120 of 5997 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...600

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: PLB Tests
"That's lawyer talk for "If you should win the Darwin Award we don't have to pay your family a lot of prize money." Nah, if you win the Darwin award, all you get is your n...

In GEAR » inReach SE: No tracking points, no messages went through today!
July 18, 8:26pm

Re: King canyon august
"spend a day exploring kaweah basin then back to road end from forester pass." How do you plan to access Kaweah Basin?

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » King canyon august
July 18, 8:23pm

Re: Connected on the trail
"In climbing, I have witnessed a body recovery and been involved in a rescue but in the past 25 years of being on the trail backpacking I have never seen anything more than a nasty blister. Ho...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Connected on the trail
July 18, 8:19pm

Re: PLB Tests
"it remains good practice that users should always self-test beacons prior to embarking upon any excursion or being involved in any situation where they may have to be relied upon in an emerge...

In GEAR » inReach SE: No tracking points, no messages went through today!
July 18, 3:18pm

Re: Re: Connected on the trail
"Rather than buy an 'security' devices why not take a wilderness medicine course. Rather than take a phone to update your sig other why not educate them that wilderness is not a scary ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Connected on the trail
July 18, 2:44pm

Re: other hiking movies
"The Way Back, a group hikes from a Soviet gulag to Mongolia" That's the title of the movie, based on "The Long Walk" by Slawomir Rawicz. A compelling read.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out
July 17, 5:50pm

Re: Re: Re: A Visit to the Middle Fork of the Kings River
What a route! Thanks for the report and the excellent pictures. You've also given me a serious dose of motivation in the process.

In Post-Trip Reports » A Visit to the Middle Fork of the Kings River
July 17, 5:38pm

Re: Re: Kings Canyon National Park
"That "TRAIL NOT MAINTAINED" sign pulls me like a moth to flame." +1

In Post-Trip Reports » Kings Canyon National Park
July 17, 5:12pm

Re: Re: Delmar's Poll
""Ken, you seem awfully expert on this subject." Elementary, my dear Watson. Or should I say alimentary?

In Editor's Roundtable » Delmar's Poll
July 16, 8:50pm

Re: Re: Kings Canyon National Park
"Tom, I edited that report to add a second photo. That's just for your benefit." Golly, you make me feel so special. Cut it out, Bob; I'm going all wobbly and you're comp...

In Post-Trip Reports » Kings Canyon National Park
July 16, 5:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm