BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 111 - 120 of 5617 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...562

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Meanwhile in Venezuela
"At one time I could comment quite intelligently on the Ukraine (I used to be a Soviet-focused SIGINT guy when I was enlisted) but no longer. I simply haven't kept up well regarding the ex...

In Chaff » Meanwhile in Venezuela
February 25, 5:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meanwhile in Venezuela
"You want me to not dislike Arafat because of the actions of other men?" Nah, I know better than that based on past experience. I just wanted to see if maybe, just maybe, I could get ...

February 24, 9:08pm

Re: Re: Meanwhile in Venezuela
"and refuse to discuss the Middle East with Tom ever again" Damn, Dean! I was so looking forward to our next 'mano a mano', now that you're back in la la land. Puleeze, d...

February 24, 5:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Meanwhile in Venezuela
"Arafat (do I need to say more?)" Yeah, Michael, I'd love to hear more from you about Arafat. Why don't you talk a little about Menachim Begin while you're at it? Or Arie...

February 24, 5:39pm

Re: Re: "EN 13537 and LOFT"
"Food, well others have said a lot about fatty long lasting energy." Fat is commonly assumed to produce the most heat during digestion, but in reality it is protein which requires the ...

In GEAR » EN 13537 and LOFT
February 24, 5:00pm

Re: Re: Pertex Shield + durability
"What pertex + shield stuff is good for is when it spends time in your pack mostly. You need to pull it out for an occasional shower or storm, but say you are in the Sierra...a thunderstorm is...

In GEAR » Pertex Shield + durability
February 22, 7:04pm

Re: New Article on the issue
"and a new satellite image." Darn! It looks like the entire Great Western Divide is bare. Now THAT is depressing. Troubled times......

In Pre-Trip Planning » CA Drought and 2014 hiking season
February 18, 6:02pm

Re: metal detector
"I think it was just a brief lapse, but a person has to have a plan." Don't do it, Dan. You're my role model, and I couldn't bear the thought of watching you wandering aro...

In GEAR » What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks
February 16, 8:30pm

Re: Re: a pound
"And all I have to look forward to in life is meaningless wandering around in the Gear forum at BPL until I reach middle age when I'll have to buy a red Corvette with money I don't hav...

February 16, 8:13pm

Re: fitness
"We could talk about how light gear does not make up for the lack of a fitness program.....or fitness itself.....but you knew that." Second best post of the thread.

February 16, 8:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm