Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nathan Hays (oroambulant) - BPL Guest

My Locale San Francisco
About Me Nathan Hays has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nathan Hays

Showing 111 - 120 of 223 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Forum » Thread

Jam 70L Internal Frame mod
I just bought a Jam 70L (884g/31.2oz) to carry a heavier load (and fit the >>x%^?!! bear cannister). It is fine up to 30-35 lbs, but then the weight is all on the shoulders. The pack really...

In GEAR » Best practice consensus: adding a frame for Jam?
June 25, 9:00pm

MyoQuilt Done!
First quilt completed! My wife has been freezing with a Cat's Meow that weighs 2 lb 14 oz so I thought she should get our first gear project. Karo step (12/5) using Thruhiker kit with 15 oz...

In Make Your Own Gear » MyoQuilt Done!
June 23, 11:51pm

Re: Scales
+1 hanger. Bend the hook part upside down so it bears on the scale while the cross bar goes under the scale and hang the pack from that. That will center the weight on the scale to improve accu...

In Make Your Own Gear » the DIY Gear Scramble-a-Thon!
June 23, 11:39pm

Carbon fiber
Blow the bucks and get a he-man tube from rockwestcomposites.com - 1/4 the weight.

In Make Your Own Gear » Ideas needed
June 23, 12:42am

@Ike
Great post. Makes me all minimalist again. I think I need to keep separate kits for long mile hiking (near instant setup/teardown) and community hiking (cozy bungalow at night).

In GEAR » I don't get UL bivy
June 22, 11:22am

Great insights!
This has been an excellent review of the sleeping cover issues. I hadn't been able to piece nearly as clear a picture from other threads. I love this forum! So without proper citations to th...

June 20, 9:56am

Re: Controversy et. al.
My wife and I have been bringing OR Alpine bivies (2Lbs ea) on a blue tarp. My bag is a 5 Lb 0deg, hers is a Cat's Meow (3Lbs?). I've never pulled the bivy out because we have had outstan...

June 18, 7:05pm

I don't get UL bivy
I can't figure out why you would wrap an UL bivy around a UL bag/quilt. What I've seen of UL bivies have momentum or pertex for the top, and that's pretty much what the bag/quilt has. ...

June 18, 1:56pm

Re: both
I carry all three. What peak is that in the distance? Compass and topo tells you. Difficult by GPS with small screen, coarse direction. I use the GPS for "collecting" bench marks. ...

In GEAR » Map & compass
June 15, 9:48am

Great start
Ditch the Nalgene. Use a plastic juice bottle instead. I paid 1.59 for a nice 64 oz bottle of cranapple, saving 5 oz, and used the difference to buy some vodka for cocktails to celebrate. For ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New to backpacking, how does all of my gear stack up?
June 13, 7:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Nathan Hays

Nathan Hays has posted no reviews.