BPL Community Profile

Neil Bender (nebender) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Neil Bender hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Neil Bender has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Neil Bender

Showing 111 - 120 of 126 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Forum » Thread

Re: How to add pit zips? + scratchy seams
I've put 14" YKK coil zippers available in most fabric stores, even Walmart, in cycling jersies and windbreakers by simply ripping open the seam with a seam ripper. Then I first attach the zipper ...

In Make Your Own Gear » How to add pit zips? + scratchy seams
November 16, 10:23am

Re: Re: Sierra Designs Ultra Light Year or Big Agnes Seedhouse S/L 1
Re: "A big driver for me is the size of the vestibule. I have dogs. " My miniature dachshund (a very cat-like breed, hardly a real dog)would never tolerate sleeping in a vestibule. A highly rec...

In GEAR » Sierra Designs Ultra Light Year or Big Agnes Seedhouse S/L 1
October 25, 2:42pm

Re: Accurate fabric weights
Sometimes retailers don't know what they have and mislabel them. All of the material I have bought from Thruhiker was accurately "gauged" except some 0.8oz ripstop that I measured to be closer to ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Accurate fabric weights
October 19, 6:10pm

GPS Utility
Ryan's comments regarding route finding skills are pretty much spot on. GPS and even topo maps don't have the resolution to solve most navigational problems of the moment in all sorts of interesti...

In Editor's Roundtable » On Going Mapless in a Digital World: Engagement, Simplicity, and the Art of Real-Time Navigation
October 19, 11:41am

Re: Re: Vapor Barrier Clothing
Ryan, I don't see any heresy in your approach to using VBL clothing. The ONLY way I can wear my double boots (the inner boot is essentially impermeable) for any length of time is with good meri...

In GEAR » Vapor barrier clothing for sleeping systems
October 13, 2:35pm

Re: Re: Re: EPIC in tents
Paul, I also have a BD Firstlight, which I sealed inside and out. I tested it under simulated heavy rain by suspending a hose nozzle up in a tree. It took several hours for minor leaks to occu...

In GEAR » Henry Shires upcoming shelters
September 28, 6:54pm

Re: EPIC in tents
Bryan, Because EPIC is an individual fiber coating and not a barrier film coating or impregnation that blocks the weave of the fabric, EPIC actually works better in tents and in sleeping bags th...

In GEAR » Henry Shires upcoming shelters
September 28, 2:58pm

Re: Re: Polyester properties and tarping
Correct that to say "while nylon will always be stronger than polyester for ag iven weight or denier.."

In Make Your Own Gear » Polyester properties and tarping
August 17, 12:35pm

Re: Polyester properties and tarping
Polyester also stretches less than nylon, which is desirable for a fly or tarp. With silicone rubber impregnation as a coating, the coating adds to the strength of the fabric. Urethane coatings o...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polyester properties and tarping
August 17, 12:34pm

Re: nylon and poly vs coolmax, etc
Nylon and polyester are similar but different animals. Nylon is hydrophillic (water-loving) and absorbs more moisture than polyester. Nylon is stronger and stretchier as a fiber, but a given weav...

In GEAR » giving cotton another chance
July 31, 10:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Neil Bender

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Go Lite Speed
I like this pack but had to modify it to make up some deficiencies. Lack of side comptression straps or lacing makes it sloppy when less than full. The load lifter straps are uselss without a frame,...

In Backpacks - Frameless
September 02, 11:24pm