BPL Community Profile

Matthew Zion (mzion) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Boulder, CO
About Me Eagle Scout. Navy Veteran.

AT '10; CT yo-yo '11; PCT '12
My PDF Gear ListPCT '12

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matthew Zion

Showing 111 - 120 of 247 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...25

Forum » Thread

Re: Windshell
"Generally a wind shirt does NOT breath like a good rain jacket does. In order to be extra light a wind shirt is not going to use the more expensive and heavier breathable materials like eVent...

In GEAR » Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket?
May 30, 8:11pm

Re: Personal Hygiene
Thru hikers will often go a week or two (sometimes longer) w/o washing clothes or showering. Revel in your filth and wear it as a badge of honor. If you get chafe in your shirt/shorts area a si...

In GEAR » Personal hygiene
May 29, 3:53pm

Re: Gloves
I'll take down mitts on anything in the 20s or colder. Multi-use your arm pits and nuts to keep your hands warm IMO. I use to work outside year round and have never found gloves that will...

In GEAR » What is the lowest expected temp that you would leave gloves at home for?
May 12, 7:00pm

Re: Weighs less to carry a canister stove long distances?
Alcohol weighs less when you allow yourself to resupply fairly often. Filling up your alcohol bottle every 4 days with exactly 4 days worth of alcohol is lighter than buying a full canister and us...

In GEAR » Weighs less to carry a canister stove long distances?
May 09, 2:44pm

Re: Bleach
Hypochlorite reacts will react with just about everything. I think a major concern is precipitation of cations you will find in all water sources. While small, these 'filmy' precipitation...

In GEAR » Efficacy of chlorine bleach over time
May 01, 11:28pm

Re: Umbrella
If you could only have one. I'd get a GoLite Dome Chrome. http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi This is the company that makes the umbrella GoLite sells. More colors and they DO hav...

In GEAR » Which Umbrella?
April 30, 4:49pm

Re: Houdini for summer (CO) rain?
Using in high winds gets tricky. I think this is where most potential users bail on the concept. I collapse the umbrella a little and point it into the wind as best I can. Obviously, its effecti...

In GEAR » Houdini for summer (CO) rain?
April 27, 7:29am

Re: Houdini for summer (CO) rain?
I'm using a similar windshirt + umbrella combo and I think its more than enough. The rain out here in no way compares to the east coast in terms of quantity.

In GEAR » Houdini for summer (CO) rain?
April 26, 11:15pm

Re:
No.

In GEAR » Is it ever worth it to carry a saw?
April 25, 10:16am

Re: Multi use
Use your jacket or sleeping back to insulate the pot while you wait. Multi use FTW.

In GEAR » Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freeaer Bag Cooking?
April 24, 2:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Matthew Zion

Matthew Zion has posted no reviews.