BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
CityAtlanta
StateGA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.mlarson.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 111 - 120 of 338 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: reinventing
"Because reinventing is the cousin of MYOG." Great point! I figured it was either: 1-A problem-solving exercise from scratch to learn the tools and products, sort of hacking and reproducing. o...

In Make Your Own Gear » half pyramid - any math whizzes out there
September 04, 11:36pm

Re: half pyramid with overhand
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like we just re-invented the Dancing Light Gear Ultralight Brawny Tarptent (see a BGT review), or maybe the DLG Tacoma Solo. Of course, DLG isn't manu...

In Make Your Own Gear » half pyramid - any math whizzes out there
September 04, 10:12pm

Re: GW Cape
"How long a pole do you need for the cape?" Using a 42in/105cm carbon fiber Tarptent pole will let me stake it directly to the ground. Using my 47in/120cm Gossamer Gear Lightrek trekking pole...

In GEAR » Poncho/Tarp my DOWN Bag
September 02, 5:48am

Re: jumping onto the thread
Nikolas, you might want to see the recently completed reviews of the Gatewood Cape at Backpackgeartest.org. From my experience, I think the materials and workmanship for the cape are on par with...

In GEAR » Poncho/Tarp my DOWN Bag
September 01, 5:41pm

Re: What do you want investigated in 2007?
Articles -Second the recommendations for windshirt comparisons. A specs chart would be very handy, as this seems to come up quite often. I'd like to see data for wind resistance, breathability, wa...

In Editor's Roundtable » READERS - What do you want investigated in 2007?
August 31, 9:51pm

Re: What's on at SAC?
"Can anyone tell me if there's any way to get an email from SAC each time they change stock?" They do have an RSS feed for the page, which is tantamount to an e-mail. You'd just need to keep an ...

In Gear Deals » SmartWool Lightweight Zip-T; $30
August 31, 8:34am

Re: 7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt-the fun begins
Nice, Bill. I like that you kept the small triangular portions at the base of the closures under your body. I'm not sure if those closures you're planning are snaps or velcro or what. I think those...

In Make Your Own Gear » 7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
August 29, 11:48pm

Re: Re: Wild Things Gear
The WT website worked for me just a minute ago. Some good sales right now. Looks like they'll be on vacation for a week in September 10-17. -Mark

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » LW Windshirts for Winter Mountaineering
August 29, 5:10am

Re: Montbell outlet
Also some good deals on Montbell insulation, ~30% off, at Backcountry Gear. -Mark

In Gear Deals » Montbell outlet
August 27, 2:00pm

Re: dotty and spotty
"Can anyone else confirm that they can see it?" Yes, I do see it, and it bothers me too. Ryan, Alan, Carol, Will, Doug, anyone... ease our minds. Tell us about the dot. -Mark

In Philosophy & Technique » A black dot
August 27, 1:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am