Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mike Clelland (mikeclelland) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale The Tetons (via Idaho)
About Me I divide my time between doing cartoon drawings at my desk in Idaho, and sleeping outside in the mountains. A few years back Don Ladagan called me up and asked me to draw instructional cartoons for his excellent book LIGHTEN UP! He was quite an inspiration, and I embraced his simple teachings. From that point on I became a weirdo zealot for a lighter backpack. In 2005 I spearheaded the very successful lightweight program at the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). Presently I’m working at Backpackinglight’s Wilderness Trekking School.
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://littleboingmarks.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear List8 pound base weight

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike Clelland

Showing 111 - 120 of 926 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...93

Forum » Thread

Sorry if I come across as a zealot
Yikes - I wasn't trying to be mean. Somebody creates a post titled "SHREAD THIS LIST" and he was encouraging us to be bold. He asked how to reduce his pack weight, and I offered some ...

In Gear Lists » Shred This Part 2
May 28, 6:01pm

NIX the hammock
If you are truly trying to go lighter, NIX the hammock and just sleep on the ground. This will save a lot, including set up time and camping locations. The hammock is NOT required for comfortabl...

May 28, 10:21am

It is VERY easy!
Reply to CK King: -------------------------- You wrote: "I have a lot of work to do" - No, you are missing the biggest secret about going light. It is VERY easy, hardly any work...

May 27, 2:47pm

PILLOW (multiple zip-lock baggies)
Reply to Mitchell: Iv'e used these white inflatable pillow that you recommend. I thought these were pretty good, but I found they were small, and my head would sort of roll off. The only ve...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
May 27, 12:38pm

your list is a "traditional" set of items
Reply to CK King: -------------------------- I hope you take this the right way, but it's hard to offer much advice for this list. This is a forum for LIGHTWEIGHT backpacking, and your list i...

May 27, 10:25am

Poof - Zip - Stuff (repeat times 7) easy!
Ken, It's easier to set up than you might think. Poof - Zip - Stuff (repeat times 7) easy! I've used my shoes PLENTY! They are pretty good, but imperfect. I once filled my backpack...

May 26, 7:18pm

shameless self-promtion (sorry)
In reply to your question about TITANIUM cook gear. Just so you know, I have a few wonderfully light (yet expensive) titanium cook pots and mugs. (the text below is gleaned from my book) exce...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A little help please
May 26, 11:07am

my humble list
8 pound base weight, warm, comfortable and safe! LINK: http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/80a5cd1800fbac69c35fad3f320f5461.pdf

In Gear Lists » Dream/Ultimate Gear List
May 26, 10:42am

1 ) GET A SCALE!
Chris, I'm repeating what others have said, but here goes. 1 ) GET A SCALE! No way around this one, it is absolutely essential! Without the scale, you'll stumble around and ooze s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A little help please
May 26, 9:00am

pillow R & D
Reply to James: ------------------------ Yeah - this pillow tip is really is great! As silly as this might sound, I was SO proud of myself when I finally figured this one out. I've ...

May 26, 8:39am

All Reader Reviews by Mike Clelland

Showing 1 - 10 of 32 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Leatherman Juice S2 Multitool
4.3 ounces? Uhhhg!

In Miscellaneous Products
March 28, 10:01am

Hefty Trash Compactor Bag as LINER BAG
Hefty Trash Compactor Bags 18 Gal. (68 L) Size 2 Ft. 1 3/4 x...

November 03, 8:34am

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
A perfect Bar.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
April 10, 7:14pm

Patagonia DAS Parka
I am chiming in and giving the DAS a low grade of 3. It is NOT a lightweight piece of gear! It's a porker, and should be refered to as such on the BPL site. 29 ounces? Thats 1 pound 13 ounce...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
March 27, 9:08am

Patagonia Lightweight Sun Hoody
This is a nice layer, but expensive. It doesn't get a 5 because of its high price. It's basically lightweight long underwear, but with a hood. The fabric is a little bit slippery and stretc...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
March 21, 8:38pm

Hardware store SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE
The standard hardware store little single edge razor blade is the simplest and lightest thing I've found - ever. Nice and sharp, easy to use - and LIGHT! They weigh 0.1 ounces! Buy a little...

March 15, 9:09am

Javette Coffee
I think these are very good. Not quite as good as fresh brewed - but a good substitute. That's why it gets a 4 and not a 5. Superior (even if only a little) to Java Juice. Here's how I thin...

February 13, 11:21am

Petzl e+LITE
Also - THe RED light option is really nice. I find I use it a lot to save batteries. It works great for ALMOST any purpose in the dark. Go ahead and try using it exclusivly. The red light really w...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
November 29, 9:43am

GoLite Hut 1
I've used the GoLite Hut 2 (a little bigger) in the winter. It's fine. It takes a little extra time to adjust it so it's nice and tight. Ryan - hey, give a review after you get out o...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 29, 9:40am

GU Energy Gel
Hey - Make yer own in bulk. Cheeep and works great. HOMEMADE GOO ============= I've been using a form of homemade sports gel, and it's been really successful - and I have a circle o...

November 29, 9:37am