Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Kevin Egelhoff (kegelhoff) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southern Cal
About Me Hiking for about 10 years now. First started carring a 80+ pound pack and now I'm down to about 18 lbs. for a five day trip!
CityEncinitas
StateCA
My PDF Gear ListFood list for 9 day hike- revised AGAIN

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kevin Egelhoff

Showing 111 - 120 of 210 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Fibraplex Carbon Tent Poles
Samuel, Spline is typically considered the stiifer orientation along the horizonal axis of the tubing or poles, not based on deflection. We actually have test fixtures that rotate shafts or tubin...

In GEAR » Fibraplex Carbon Tent Poles
February 15, 2:14pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lighter Carbon Back Stay - version 2
Actually, to keep the part as light and stiff as possible I'm using some honeycomb in-between the carbon plies running down the center section of the spine. Kind of like making a hollow core b...

In Make Your Own Gear » Lighter Carbon Back Stay - version 2
February 13, 11:16pm

Re: Re: Lighter Carbon Back Stay - version 2
Steven, No, I'm just using sheets of "prepreg" that I cut to the shape I'm looking for and lay them up on a tool that I formed from plaster on someones back and then turned into ...

February 13, 10:27pm

Re: Tyvek Backpack
Ralph, I can't believe that is your FIRST project ... looks like something purchased off the self !!! Very nice work !! Definitly want to hear how the Tyvek holds up in a pack of this size....

In Make Your Own Gear » Tyvek Backpack
February 13, 8:20pm

Lighter Carbon Back Stay - version 2
Latest version using less carbon and honeycomb ... Might still be a little too stiff and the weight is now down to 7.94 oz. (225 grams) I'm going to make one more light weight and less stiff ...

February 13, 2:08pm

Re: Cloudveil pants size 38
These aren't my size but I will comment on the Cloudveil Prospector pants in Inertia being one of my favorite pairs of pants being light, warm, water and stain resistant, and tough! I own seve...

In Gear Swap » Cloudveil pants size 38
February 09, 1:12pm

Re: Winter Jacket - 22oz
David, VERY nice work. The super high neck going into the hood looks really nice! Please do a writeup after testing it out to tell us how it works! Kevin

In Make Your Own Gear » Winter Jacket - 22oz
February 05, 11:10am

Re: 2009 JMT, need help deciding new pack
Jon, That is just another great reason to really look hard at GG. Grant has GREAT service that is second to none. He sure knows his stuff and is always so helpfull on the phone to answer all my ...

In Gear Lists » 2009 JMT, need help deciding new pack
February 04, 4:27pm

Pack choice for the JMT would be the GG Mariposa Plus !!!
Lots of good advice from the previous posts ... Three of us did the JMT in 10 days carrying the BV500 cans with one day resupply. Pack weight was about 20 lbs. fully loaded up with food and water...

In Gear Lists » 2009 JMT, need help deciding new pack
February 04, 12:02pm

Re: Re: Re: SUL Rigid Frame Packs
Tim, You are correct ... the water sucked for testing... I was just in a hurry to test it out with the heavier load and had the water jug close by. Sand bags on the next go around for testing wo...

In Make Your Own Gear » SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009I started making another SUL External Pack Frame on New Years Day. My goal is a frame similar to the modified Harrier Frame I have been working on but that weighs closer to one pound or less. The old frame was made to carr
January 30, 3:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Kevin Egelhoff

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp
We just returned from a long week in the Sierra's with a group of 6 this year. We needed one additional 2 man shelter for the 80 mile hike and at the last minute decided that he SpinnTwinn tarp w...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
September 17, 12:10pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
And now they come in the oh-so-cool camo color. These are the GOLD standard in best locking, ulta light, super durable, best griped poles on the market that our group has ever used. The new carbon wr...

In Trekking Poles
May 12, 3:27pm

Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super
I own 4 high quality Down sleeping bags and this is my current go-to fav! I'm 6'1", 185 lbs., and there is plenty of room in this bag to layer up with some extra clothes IF NEEDED to get...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
December 22, 5:27pm

Big Agnes Clearview
I talked three people in our group of five into buying this pad for our 9 day, 80+ mile hike in the high Sierra's. Night time Temps ranged from a low of 28 deg to a high of 38 deg. All three of ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 07, 4:39pm

Inov8 RocLite 315
Just like the others reported .. these are GREAT shoes. Not a single blister after doing 80+ miles in bad weather. I think the key to these shoes is the breathability and flexablity that allows the...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 07, 4:31pm

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus 08
I have used several GG packs in the past and this new pack is the BEST I have ever used !!! I think I own close to 5 packs and this is my new favorite go-to pack of all time. Grant sent me the new a...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 07, 4:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
I have tried four different lights over the last four years and this light is by far my new favorite. I can't see any reason to change lights for a while now. Other reviews are spot on and I had...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 07, 4:07pm

SteriPen Adventurer
Hmmmm ... for once I'm not even close in agreement to anyone ??? Having purchased two brand new units after reading several positive comments, I can't wait to RETURN them both. First I want...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 07, 4:01pm

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I have used the new GG Miniposa for the last 6 months now on several long distance hikes and this pack was everything I had hoped it would be. Super light, easy to use, very comfy, and lots of room f...

In Backpacks - Frameless
July 10, 2:31pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek Plus Poles
Five of us just returned from a 6 day, 90 mile hike on the John Muir Trail this past week. All of us had been using typical so-called light weight adjustable alum. poles in the past but we all decide...

In Trekking Poles
August 29, 11:44am