BPL Community Profile

Jamie Shortt (jshortt) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Carolina
About Me I grew up in VA exploring and camping the woods around my house. As a teen in the 80's I learned how to backpack by reading books. Back then my pack weight was a respectable 27 lbs and I hit the woods every chance I got. Once adult life took over it was rare to take an overnighter. I faced several challenges during my middle age life and turned to the outdoors to restore me. As my knowledge and skills advanced, my base weight dropped to below 5 lbs. With this came a freedom that I had never experienced before.
CityHolly Springs
StateNC
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.LytW8.com
My PDF Gear ListJamie Shortt 3 Season Gear List - 4lb Base

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jamie Shortt

Showing 111 - 120 of 746 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...75

Forum » Thread

Re: Cheap as Well
Chris, Glad to see your post. I am passionate about making LW, UL, and SUL gear available to a wide audience which is why I find this thread so interesting. Again it is not to down play the fact th...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL Wt Goals
August 04, 11:04am

Re: Sewing 101 - Everything you need to know to sew ________ from ripstop nylon
Outstanding resource. Thanks for sharing.

In Make Your Own Gear » Sewing 101 - Everything you need to know to sew ________ from ripstop nylon
August 04, 10:48am

Re: Cuben
Chris, I agree with the zpacks zero, but if we are talking general goals I am not aware of too many other non cuben options that are significantly below 8 oz that I would suggest a general goal any...

August 04, 6:06am

Re: SUL Wt Goals
George, A couple of questions... #1 are these goals that you should go after or are you wanting to discuss what goals might be for the general backpacking population that would want to try to ge...

August 04, 4:56am

Re: sale tarp
The ID siltarp is a good one. Its one of my favorate flat tarps. Backcountrygear.com has it on sale for $45.50. Free shipping over $49 doh! so you will need to by a spoon or something to get to $50...

In GEAR » Best tarp under $50?
July 31, 5:43pm

Re: revised SUL - HOT EAST 2 Nighter
George, You are getting close to the edge! I like it. I love my BPL hoody, but at the weights you are approaching I would consider dropping it as long as the temps are no lower than 50 degrees at n...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL - HOT EAST 2 Nighter
July 31, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Etowah weights
Justin, My suggestion of the Etowah tarp was based on interpreting your needs. Being that it was under $50, tabs instead of grommets, reasonably light weight, larger than 5x8, and yes one of the mo...

In GEAR » Best tarp under $50?
July 31, 5:17pm

Re: After the weekend!
Cody, Sounds like all went well. Each time you try something new you will learn a bit. In my instructions I should have said "pick out site and lie down". I always lie down before pitchin...

In Philosophy & Technique » Just got my first tarp... some questions come to mind
July 31, 5:00pm

Re: Why even use a bivy?
No you pretty much have it. A bigger tarp with ground sheet will be approximately same weight as bivy with small tarp. The extras you get with bivy are warmer...extra layer around you to trap warm ...

In GEAR » Why even use a bivy?
July 31, 4:48pm

Re: Heel pain
Sure sounds like plantar fasciitis, but of course nothing is like a doctor's opinion. My experience was the heel pain gets to the point that walking even short distances like 100 feet is not po...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Heel pain
July 31, 10:03am

All Reader Reviews by Jamie Shortt

Jamie Shortt has posted no reviews.