BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 111 - 120 of 876 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Bear Boxes at Rae Lakes.
I re-read the first post. I was thinking Ursack but he said "bear bag and sling". Not approved for most of the JMT. Worth and worthy of a ticket. In my practiced opinion, carrying a &...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Gear necessities for JMT mid july
March 05, 3:15pm

Bear Boxes at Rae Lakes.
Bears: Woods Creek crossing to Vidette Meadow is known as a bad bear area. Not sure if I should say "bad bear area" or "bad bear" area. Anyhow the bears in the area are reput...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Gear necessities for JMT mid july
March 05, 2:46pm

Re: Re: Patagonia-Just curious
I only have a few Patagonia items. The 20 year old fleece is pilled. The 12 year old windshirt is slightly heavy. The new Houdini is expensive. What they all share is perfect design. They fi...

In GEAR » Patagonia-Just curious
March 05, 12:43pm

Re: it's a very real way to minimize the impact. we are loving our parks to death.
That's where I disagree with many wilderness lovers. Conservation vs. Preservation. The way to get people interested in preserving wild places is for them to visit. While true that the pla...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Forest Service to Drop Adventure Pass Fee
March 05, 11:12am

Freeloaders and Fee Payers.
I've bought the Adventure Pass or National Parks Passes most years. I think the NP pass is a reasonable, fair way to let frequent public land users put some money back into the system. The ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Forest Service to Drop Adventure Pass Fee
March 05, 10:03am

Coleman Fuel
Where are you? Last time I looked at an Osh hardware store in So-California Coleman Fuel was around $12 per gallon. Also look for Walmart Ozark Trail, Chevron Blazo, Crown Camp Fuel, or other b...

In GEAR » is regular unleaded gasoline really that bad for a liquid fuel stove
March 04, 7:34am

Re: Re: Re: Flatlanders on the JMT
I don't remember what I had for breakfast either... I exaggerated to make the point. When I was a teenager living at 4,000' I still got hit pretty hard almost every time we went to 11,0...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT planning, hike duration
March 03, 4:08pm

Re: Buying rule of thumb
Cottage made stuff is different, but for mainstream products I sort of follow this: For non-sale items I'll pay 20% more at REI than online stores: 10% because of the dividend and 10% becau...

In Chaff » High Price of Gear on Gear Swap Forum
March 03, 3:58pm

Food in a bear can.
There's a guy who claims to put 12 days' worth in a Garcia. He uses as little packaging as possible and fills all free space with loose rice. Personally I have to work very hard to get 6 ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Realistic Number of Days Food in Bearikade Weekender/Expedition
March 03, 3:39pm

Re: Flatlanders on the JMT
One more thing... I live at sea level but most of the backpacking in my life has been in the Sierra. I've experienced Acute Mountain Sickness more times than I can remember. Long experienc...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT planning, hike duration
March 03, 3:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm