BPL Community Profile

Jeremy Cleaveland (jeremy11) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Exploring San Juan talus
About Me Bible believer, disciple of Jesus Christ, wilderness guide, rock climber, trail runner, mountain climber, ultralight nerd. I grew up in upstate NY going to camp in the Adirondacks where I eventually led trips on all the 46 high peaks, where going heavy led me to find Golite, through which I bought Beyond Backpacking, and the rest is history...
for years I've been an ultralight freak, sewing much of my own gear.
CityLake City
StateColorado
CountryAntarctica
My Website URLhttp://psc.photoshelter.com/user/jeremycleaveland/set/A

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jeremy Cleaveland

Showing 111 - 120 of 171 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Forum » Thread

Re: Any quilt haters? quilt lovers?
QUILT LOVER!! I made a Ray Jardine quilt a few years ago, and liked the quilt idea, but the cut was a bit narrow, so didn't really love it until I made a 15 degree down quilt, that has now s...

In GEAR » Any quilt haters? quilt lovers?
January 15, 10:29pm

Audio book recommendations?
My favorite is Lord of the Rings, unabbridged read by Robert Ingles. It is my ever-present companion on long solo drives. Any free or cheap links to getting some of these other books? and even R...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Audio book recommendations?
January 15, 10:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Things not to do: $
Steve, excellent point. the savings certainly should be considered non-taxable income! Same with buying used and on sales or other deals, the savings is all considered non taxable income to help ...

In Chaff » Things not to do: $
January 15, 10:14pm

Re: Down pants
here are the complete primaloft pants for inspiration: Momentum shell and liner, 0.6" of primaloft sport, and full #3 molded tooth side zips. 11 oz on the not so accurate spring scale. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Down pants
January 13, 9:40pm

Re: Down pants
(I haven't made down pants, but did just finish some primaloft pants and have made a down sleeping quilt, and lots of other sewing.) If you make up your own pattern try it on cheap fabric fi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Down pants
January 12, 10:46pm

14ers
you could instead climb the highest 100 in Colorado in a single trip, which would get rid of the massive distances between CO, Cali, and Washington, there would be no glacier travel, more peaks off...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Skurka looking for expedition ideas
January 11, 10:02am

Re: Re: Re: Things not to do: $
yeah, when I make my own gear, I consider myself "paid" for the savings off the retail version. for example, my 15 deg down quilt: about $160 in materials, plus labor, or the Nunatak ver...

In Chaff » Things not to do: $
January 10, 9:12pm

packa review
thru-hiker reviewed the packa. http://thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=4&cid=82

In Editor's Roundtable » Post-Trip Assessment of Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking
January 07, 10:20pm

wow
Doug, LUCK! those are big goals. 50 miles 3 days in a row?? do you ever sleep? that's like ultramarathoning, but unsupported. my unofficial goals (all in my "backyard" in the...

In Philosophy & Technique » new year's resolutions
January 07, 10:07pm

Re: Firesteel and spy capsule
I took the nail file on my Wenger Esquire and ground down the edge with some waves to it, for a good striker for the firesteel, so I don't have to carry the stock striker, or dull my knife ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Firesteel and spy capsule
January 06, 10:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Jeremy Cleaveland

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thru-hiker Liberty Ridge Shell
I've made two of these, both with a full #3 ykk molded tooth zipper and hood. the first was from 1.1 oz dwr, the second from 1.1 oz teflon dwr. I normally use the non-telfon due to its greater b...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 16, 10:57am

Mark Twight/The Mountaineers Extreme Alpinism
this is an incredible read. Get it for the epic stories alone. I often say "it could be worse" to encourage my spirits in hard conditions, and the stories really illustrate how true that i...

In Books and Media
January 14, 11:12pm

Dasani Dasani 1 Liter bottle
it is really light, lighter than a 1 L gatorade, but is weaker and has a small opening, making it messier to put in drink mix. Mine worked fine, but they have a shorter life than gatorade bottles. T...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
October 25, 10:13pm

Paramo Aspira Jacket
Paramo has a very unique method for waterproofing - there is no membrane, but instead has a dwr shell with a pump liner that moves liquid water, whether rain or sweat, away from you faster than it can...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 27, 11:21pm

Cilogear 60L worksack, version 1
The Cilogear 60L pack (mine is version 1) is the one pack that can handle everything, and excel at everything. It is light enough for backpacking but durable enough to abuse with bushwhacking, alpine...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
September 23, 3:20pm

Cilogear 20L
The Cilogear 20L pack was designed specifically as an alpine climbing leader's pack. it is small so you can't lead with too much stuff (you're already carrying a rack and dragging a rope ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
September 05, 9:13pm

Cilogear Schoolbag
(why is this under internal frame packs? all it has is a stiff foam back pad...) its a great bag. here's what i don't like so much - the shoulder straps are just a bit too narrow for my n...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
September 05, 8:56pm