BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 111 - 120 of 1821 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...183

Forum » Thread

Re: Permanent SilNylon Repair???
Very few things adhere to silnylon but you can use McNett Sil-Fix Or (shameless plug), since you have several holes you might find it more cost effective to adapt techniques shown in this articl...

In GEAR » Permanent SilNylon Repair
September 22, 10:04am

Re: one pot recipe
Delmar said: For some reason, my supermarket doesn't carry chicken in the foil pouches. Looking all over for it. Chicken in foil packets is heavy and bulky. I buy canned chicken and dehydrate...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe.
September 21, 8:11pm

Re: Educate me on guylines and line locks
"I have some sort of genetic disease that does not allow me to tie any knot at all." ... One dependable cure is a U.S. Army mountaineering school. I usually reject dichotomies out of...

In GEAR » Educate me on guylines and line locks
September 19, 7:40pm

Re: Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or?
It what is the ambient is -10f You need to get the fuel up to a somewhere around +5F for liquid feed stoves using an inverted canister or around 35F for stoves using an upright canister. You al...

In GEAR » Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or?
September 18, 9:58pm

Re: Question
Max: search "fabric glue" ... singer brand claims to work with most fabrics, including nylon

In Gear Swap » FS: "Solvitas Perambulum" sew-on patches
September 17, 3:36pm

Re: Sugru: Playdoh for grownups?
Playdoh for grownups? You Bet! But that won't stop me from introducing my grandson to it once he gets old enough for me to get him interested in making things. I used it to make a QiWiz ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Sugru: Playdoh for grownups?
September 15, 8:36pm

Re: Just give in to the blackness!
Embrace the mark of a well-used piece of gear. Ditto that But about your pot is also getting more efficient from the improved heat absorption of the black coating Maybe ... maybe not. The...

In GEAR » build up on pots used with bush buddy
September 06, 3:45am

Re: "Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite"
Dean L brought Leopold to this discussion If you don't know who Aldo Leopold was, then I guess we have little left to discuss. Those who don't know but are curious could start with A Fie...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
August 26, 7:32pm

Re: A desert crossing
Y'all remember this thread? Appears that Alastair survived to tell about it: The Empty Quarter Expedition Soon as I saw the title I thought of Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands ... sur...

In Pre-Trip Planning » A desert crossing
August 25, 3:40pm

Re: "A return to the daring days of when people just 'did stuff'."
for no reason. None whatsoever ... You can go and do stuff with your mates that is memorable and challenging Oh-Oh ... you've blown it, failed completely and miserably ... is memorable and...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "A return to the daring days of when people just 'did stuff'."
August 25, 2:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am