Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 111 - 120 of 2105 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...211

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Guide's Gear Award No. 1: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Backpack
Yes, there is velcro. This accounts for the low load carrying of 35pounds. Additional weight (the pack can certainly handle more) along with the constant movement of each stride often causes the be...

In Editor's Roundtable » Guide's Gear Award No. 1: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Backpack
April 08, 7:21am

New revolutionary aluminium battery
Well, as you say batteries need to be: Light weight Energy dense Reduced recharge time High number of discharge/recharge cycles Since these are only temporary, you still need a power sour...

In GEAR » New revolutionary aluminium battery
April 08, 5:52am

Re: Unpowered exoskeleton "boots" make human walking 7% more efficient
I would think that simple exercising would allow a 7% increase in most anyone. But the overall thought process is good. Thanks!

In GEAR » Unpowered exoskeleton "boots" make human walking 7% more efficient
April 08, 5:34am

Re: Guide's Gear Award No. 1: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Backpack
The Mariposa is one nice pack. I have used many different packs from Gossamer Gear. This one has evolved steadily over the past 10 years or so to become one of the best high volume packs out there....

In Editor's Roundtable » Guide's Gear Award No. 1: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Backpack
April 08, 5:07am

Re: Adding weight to increase efficiency. Thought?
Well, added weight for sake of efficiency is a given. It doesn't stop with just organizing gear. I use a Sea to Summit (STS) Dry/Compression bag for my bag, long johns, camp jacket, and soc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Adding weight to increase efficiency. Thoughts?
April 07, 7:23am

Re: Sweet spot...
Alcohol and canisters are roughly the same BTU's when considering heat output and 4oz cans. 8oz and 16oz cans can be more efficient as long as you don't need to consider the weight of a...

In GEAR » Stove fuel usage
April 06, 8:15pm

Re: Stove fuel usage
Yeah, that is my reasoning, too. But my overall consumption is a lot higher. I boil about 30oz, twice per day, and cook about 15min. Over a 14 day trip (two weeks I use about 20floz (or 16oz by we...

In GEAR » Stove fuel usage
April 06, 2:02pm

Re: Want stove that can boil H2O in a wide-mouth stainless steel bottle
Hi Roleigh, How are the knees doing? As you know the small bottom will cause overall heating problems with any type of stove except some of the narrow focus style stoves like the Gigapower, Cole...

In Multiple Use Gear » Want stove that can boil H2O in a wide-mouth stainless steel bottle
April 05, 5:12pm

Re: Re: Great googily moogily
"I am inclined to do nothing at this stage, letting the community handle this (politely) as it has already. As several have already emphasized, reputation matters. Thoughts?" I believe...

In Gear Swap » Quantum Endurance Climashield Quilt 5'X7' Slate Grey 75$
April 04, 6:21pm

Re: Washed twice?
This is a strong reason for limiting Gear Swap to Members and above, ONLY.

In Gear Swap » Quantum Endurance Climashield Quilt 5'X7' Slate Grey 75$
April 04, 9:34am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am