BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 111 - 120 of 1777 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...178

Forum » Thread

Re: New Here, and Returning Backpacker
Be prepared for some sticker shock. The price of lightweight gear has really gone up a lot. The good news is anyone can go UL (<10 pounds) not including food and water "off the shelf."...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Here, and Returning Backpacker
January 22, 8:24pm

Heat Exchanger Pot from a Grease Pot
I have gotten over ten requests to post stuff on how I made this and what it looks like. Here is a pic: Note that this version only has three rings in the bottom, the version I use has five. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Heat Exchanger Pot from a Grease Pot
January 21, 6:19pm

What's your big four weigh/cost?
Tent: 14oz (tarp, $70) Pack: 10oz (Murmur, $125) Bag: 20oz (40F, $275) Pad: 13oz (NeoAir, medium, $110) Total: 57oz or 3#9, $580

In GEAR » What's your big four weigh/cost? Me- 2 lbs 8.4 oz/$773
January 21, 6:11am

tarp
Well, there is a time and place for any of the three. Generally speaking, I like a tarp with a seperate net or full bug tent inner. I do not care for bivies, as a rule, they always condense in cold...

In GEAR » Tarps vs tents vs bivys: What's your $0.02?
January 20, 3:36pm

Re: What's warmer for the weight: quilts, bags?
There is really no one answer. If you tend to toss and turn a lot, then be prepared for a lot of drafts and lost heat with a quilt. For example, I have a neck injury that stiffens up after about 45...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What's warmer for the weight: quilts, bags?
January 18, 2:33pm

Re: SUL Backpacks
Jeremy, not too many. Most cottage companies tried to go lighter than a half pound but ran into the durability wall. A couple examples: Old GG G5: Every trip out for a week would require some so...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL Backpacks
January 11, 5:49am

Re: 3-season gear for northeast USA
Stephen, Yeah, a few places you can save. Pack: I like a Gossamer Gear Murmur for shorter 1 week trips. Weight is about 10oz. Pad: About the same, I use a NeoAir medium, old style at 13oz. Bag:...

In Gear Lists » 3-season gear for northeast USA
January 10, 9:06pm

DOH!: user reviews? Trail Designs simmer rings for 12-10 stove
Well, I haven't used the Trail Designs one. I made one several years ago out of some aluminum foil, though. Like the older BrassLite stoves, shutting off the vents really helps to cut down heat...

In GEAR » user reviews? Trail Designs simmer rings for 12-10 stove
January 03, 6:54am

Re: Re: not a bad start for voting
Yeah, I agree with Stuart. Taking the lightest gear you have available does not always give you the safest pack load if conditions are not taken into account. It just doesn't make any sense. SU...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 02, 2:31pm

Re: Re: Re: ?? For Whisperlite Internat'l owners
Simmering is tricky. Only because it means so many different things to different people. It is not well defined. I define it as a stove that will *just* burp 1L of boiled water at 60F ambient i...

In GEAR » ?? For Whisperlite Internat'l owners
January 02, 7:19am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am