Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks. GG Trail Ambassador.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 111 - 120 of 2162 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...217

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: container for white gas?
Sooo, I cannot spel, what else is new? You're right, it does sound painful.

In GEAR » container for white gas?
April 28, 1:19pm

Re: Re: Re: container for white gas?
Bob, Yup. I use auto fuel to clean a lot of stuff. Nope, I don't worry about cancer. Yes it is highly flammable. I leave this stuff well away from the house, in the barn where my shop is.

April 28, 12:25pm

Re: pump gas
Yup, it will keep forever. No additives. I go through about a gallon a year, sometimes I have to buy two.

April 28, 12:07pm

Re: Re: Re: container for white gas?
Sure, try it. It might just work. WG works as emergency car fuel, too. I poked something into my truck one time going in somewhere (Moose River Plains Area?) and put a small hole in the gas tank. W...

April 28, 12:04pm

Re: container for white gas?
For many years, I carried around an older UL aluminum bottle. It was about half the weight of the more traditional SIGG bottles. It is quite thin, though. Even the threads were aluminum stamped or ...

April 28, 10:29am

Re: Mini Wax Stove Update
Generally, carbon requires a LOT of heat to get it to burn. That's why it converts to to intermediate products first( co or something.) Look at diamonds, they take so much heat they are consid...

In Make Your Own Gear » Mini Wax Stove Update
April 27, 1:51pm

Re: Eider backpacking gear
Yeah, I had an old eider jacket that I just plain wore out. There were small plastic bags of down around the outside sewn into canvas outer and some sort of satin inner. Very expensive, my uncle us...

In GEAR » Revelation vs Revelation Pro
April 27, 8:02am

Re: Re: Re: turning THIS flame blue
Basically, the color of flames has to do with the wavelengths they reach. The more energetic the wave length, the closer to hard radiation it gets. (Not strictly true but close enough for non-nucle...

April 27, 5:35am

Re: turning THIS flame blue
Well, maybe. Just because there is little carbon being burned completely does not necessarily mean it is completely burned. As Stuart was saying, paraffin is a long chain. In most cases, you need t...

April 26, 5:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Mini Wax Stove Update+Olive Oil (?)
Waxs, olive oil, oil in general all have about the same heat content. As a general rule, the heavier the oil, the more heat content (usually only a few calories though.) The ease of a wax "...

April 26, 5:00am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Steripen Adventurer Opti
They finally revamped the old Adventurer with the Opti. 1) Improved battery life - The old unit went through batteries at about 25-30L per set. This was primarily because of leaving the batteries ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 16, 5:29am

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am