Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Zack Karas (iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me Trail names that haven't stuck: Oprah, Sir Craps-a-Lot, Runaway Blouse, Bunefa, Steve, Big McLargeHuge, The Inedible Uncle Fabulous.

Don't ask.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Zack Karas

Showing 111 - 120 of 399 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...40

Forum » Thread

compass
I guess you are right about the bearing, however I have never seen a compass w/o a baseplate that has the degrees on it. As far as using the sun, well, the sun isn't always going to be there...

In GEAR » Do I need a better compass?
September 04, 4:39pm

compass
lots of good stuff has been said. I'll add my thoughts: --if you ever need to follow a bearing, get a baseplate --if you ever need to triangulate to figure out where the hell you are, get ...

In GEAR » Do I need a better compass?
September 04, 12:51pm

Patagonia
Douglas--there was a red Ascentionist for $90, but maybe not your size?

In Gear Deals » Patagonia Sale
September 04, 12:44pm

carry on
I often carry a large shopping bag as my carry-on that could easily hold a sleeping bag plus a few other things. Then as soon as you get off the plane, strap your pad to the outside of your pack.

In GEAR » Closed Cell pad options
September 03, 9:39pm

An alternative to acclimatize
Check out Mt. Sherman. Just below the summit there is a pretty good sized flat area (probably 750 sq.ft.?). I think I read somewhere that many mountaineers make a basecamp there to acclimatize pr...

In GEAR » Altitude Question
September 03, 7:54pm

The nerve
Yeah, it's just horrible that people know how to say the same thing in different ways. Or should I say, it bad people talk not same.

In Chaff » "Trail beta" is an abomination
September 03, 2:10pm

?
Kathmandu is pretty low (I think like 4,000', but my memory can be horrible). I would try to get my hands on some Diamoxx if I were you--I went to the Kangshung Face basecamp via Kharta (origi...

In GEAR » Altitude Question
September 03, 1:55pm

re: iceland
I've recently thruhiked Iceland and there are almost no ridges of any real length. It is amazing, but 10 weeks there would be quite expensive (even with their crippling recession, Ben & Je...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » recommendation for a 10 week trail
September 03, 9:19am

patagonia
Good suggestions. I forgot that I already have 2 softshells by them (one hooded, one not) but both are used for snowshoeing and XC skiing--no room to really layer puffies under. I also have som...

In GEAR » Patagonia clothing for winter camping
September 02, 9:47pm

Patagonia clothing for winter camping
I finally going to start winter backpacking, and I live near Reno where the Patagonia outlet is located. That said, the quarterly sale starts tomorrow (everything sells for about 1/4 of the MSRP)....

In GEAR » Patagonia clothing for winter camping
September 02, 7:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Zack Karas

Showing 1 - 10 of 20 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
As many previous reviewers have noted, this light stove works well and supports my ti pot well. I only use this in lower elevations and warmer weather, but that is due to esbit not the stove. I ...

In Stoves - Other
September 15, 12:36pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I buy a size regular and cut it into two 30" long sections and I believe they weigh 5oz. One pad will last me for about 1200 miles before I replace it--though the replaced pad still has life lef...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
September 15, 12:33pm

Bibler Eldorado
I have only used it around 14 or so nights since then (only use it in more rugged and windy environments when snow is a possibility). My wife and I used it for our 10-day Tibet trek and it perfor...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
September 09, 4:47pm

BPL Blow-Up Pillow
I had high hopes for this pillow--the single baffle version. I have found that I have to inflate it very little to avoid my head rolling all over the place. So, in order for this pillow to keep my h...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 09, 4:36pm

Adidas Supernova Trail 5
After having foot problems, I went to a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made. The Dr. also recommended these shoes and to replace all shoes every 300-500 miles. Since using these, I have had z...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 09, 4:04pm

Red Ledge Thunderlight pants
I'm surprised that more people don't use and/or know about these. My pants weigh 6.5oz size medium and fit over my shoes. They have button snaps at the ankle to allow for 2 different sizes b...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 09, 4:00pm

Brasslite Turbo II-D
Purchased in 2004, used for around 6000 trail miles. Weighs 2.5oz, so there are lighter alternatives out there, but for the slimmer sleeve I feel it is worth it as it allows a broader trail diet. ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
September 08, 10:15am

Western Mountaineering Pod 30
Purchased in 2005, used for entire CDT, 10-day Tibet trek, Iceland thruhike, 6 months hiking in NZ, plus about another 1000 or so miles. Weighs 17 oz after cutting off pad sleeve. Only downsid...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 08, 10:12am

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3
I recently purchased this for a thruhike of Iceland based on its' weight. It performed well, but let me explain... The foot-end of the tent is lower than the head-end, plus the vestibules are ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 08, 10:06am

Dirty Girl Gaiters
These would be a 5 if the supplied adhesive strip resisting peeling after very wet days. Superglue was the answer and has held the velcro down wonderfully. Very breathable (and I'm a sweater...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 08, 9:59am